Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Microsoft books ATI for Xbox 2 chipset "

Shocked "Microsoft books ATI for Xbox 2 chipset "

it looks like the rumors are true. no more nvidia for the xbox2. this one is a big surprise to me.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/31189.html

now that double check the source not to sure if it is true or not. I never heard of sponge.
    Last edited by thedrisc; 06-13-2003 at 08:08 AM.

Default Re: "Microsoft books ATI for Xbox 2 chipset "

Originally posted by thedrisc
    it looks like the rumors are true. no more nvidia for the xbox2. this one is a big surprise to me.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/31189.html

now that double check the source not to sure if it is true or not. I never heard of sponge.
    You do know that over 50% of what comes from theregister is bs?
    And you do know spongs hates the XBox!?

Hidden Content XBOX RULES!

Default Re: Re: "Microsoft books ATI for Xbox 2 chipset "

Originally posted by Knight

You do know that over 50% of what comes from theregister is bs?
    And you do know spongs hates the XBox!?

I now Know.

Will, lately ATi has been a little bit ahead of Nvidia in there technology and has been getting more popular. I wouldn't mind having a ATi chipset in the Xbox 2. It would probably have All-In-Wonder with it . If the Xbox 2 had the ATi chipset the images will be more clear, and probably better performize.
    F*** with the game, don't let the game f*** you.

Default doesn't really matter

ATI and NVIDIA are pretty close to each other these days. It wouldn't bother me to see an ATI chip. The bad news is they already make chios for Nintendo. That would seem odd to have the same chip in XBOX2 and GC2. Obviously NVIDIA hates M$ too much to deal with them again. They got screwed by company famous for screwing people over.

ATI chips do run cooler than NVIDIA chips, for a console that may be important.

Personally, I'd like to see an ATI chip more than an NVidia one. I have a grudge against NVidia...

Skankeez

same here this past year ATI has been the dominant video card company hopefully they put some good gpu in the xbox maybe we can convince them to throw in a ati 9800 pro 128mb card

i wish!

You poeple have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to video cards do you? You think that Nvidia and ATI are close in terms of performance. That's a laughable statement.
    Here is the way it is. Nvidia's videocards blow monkeychunks compared to ATI's. Thats just the way it is. Only recently have they put out cards that can compete. The 5800 Ultra (not even available to the public) and the 5900 Ultra are cards that actualy put the pressure on ATI.

Anandtech GeForce FX 5900 Ultra Review
    The card test in said article (Note: I skipped the Doom 3 test becuase the game isn't even out yet. They are just using the Alpha which isn't a very good way of testing performance.)
    Anandtechs ATI Radeon 9600 Article
    The Test in said article (Note: The GeForce Ti 4600 is suppose to be the hind end card of last generation. Notice how the bidget 9500 Pro is just slightly worse?)
    Anandtech Nvidia GeForce FX 5200/5600 Article
    The Test in said article
    More Anandtech articles and tests on video cards can be found here

Another wesbite to check out Video Card reviews on is HardoCP.

In the end it is a very good thing if ATI started to produce graphics cards for the next Xbox.
    Hidden Content name="quality" value="high" /> Hidden Content quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="88" height="70" name="H2lvl" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />

ATI still has a ways to go to get me to jump on board for them in terms of high end gaming. They have improved greatly this past year, but their history still lingers like a rotten egg. Nvidia has been ontop for the past 3 years...consistently I might add, and they make one faulter which they admitted, yet everyone jumps ship. But looking at what is to come from both companies, this fall should make for a very interesting showoff between Nvidia and ATI.

When ATI has at least 2 consecutive years of good products, then I'll put my full support into them. They have been consistent in the image quality department though which is always a good thing.

But as to what chip goes in Xbox2, I'll believe it when I see the press release from MS.
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

Ah, yes, we had Nvidia chuck out cards with the FX label that underperformed. The FX 5200 no better than what ATI has out, but alot more expensive. They for some reason put the GF4 logo on GF2 Ultra's which is where I think they were wrong, and the first lot of FX's weren't great.

There is no mention of the Radeon Pro 9800 or 9900 in comparison to the new FX cards......

Will be interesting to see what version of DirectX the new XBOX would be running, I am sure it would get the first go at DirectX squared (ie DirectX X - 10) - MS would use some lame name like that too, especially if the XBOX 2 was XBOX squared...

Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
    You poeple have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to video cards do you? You think that Nvidia and ATI are close in terms of performance. That's a laughable statement.
    Do you know what you are talking about? If you did, then you'd mention the fact that ATI has had the most crappiest drivers in the world for years now. Nvidia might be behind at the current moment, but its only the first generation in about 6 generations of video cards that they actually get outperformed by ATI. TNT, TNT2, geforce1, 2, 3 and 4.

So ya, ATI might be in front at the current time, but I'd much rather have an Nvidia card. They've proven themselves time and again in the video card industry with their products and supporting drivers.
    The weak shall perish.
    Hidden Content

Actually Dre, you seem to be behind the times. ATI drivers aren't all that bad "anymore." Besides, even with the "crappy" drivers the ATI cards still outperform the superior drivers and hardware in the Nvidia cards.

As well, ATI has had Nvidia beat for at least two generations. GeForce 3/4.
    Hidden Content name="quality" value="high" /> Hidden Content quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="88" height="70" name="H2lvl" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />

Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
    Actually Dre, you seem to be behind the times. ATI drivers aren't all that bad "anymore." Besides, even with the "crappy" drivers the ATI cards still outperform the superior drivers and hardware in the Nvidia cards.

As well, ATI has had Nvidia beat for at least two generations. GeForce 3/4.
    So, I guess I don't know wtf I'm babbling about then

Seriously though, I really don't think ATI was beating Nvidia on the GeForce3 and Geforce4 chipsets. I'm at work and the internet is so picky cuz of a retardly setup proxy server. Its hard for me to go check out the old benchmarks and stuff as I have to hit refresh 5 freakin times every time I want to see a webpage

As for drivers being good now, I had heard that the newer drivers are much improved. However, ATI still remains the company that for years could not produce good code to run their own hardware designs. Its freakin hard to do, but hell, its their job and for the price vid cards go for, they should have had good drivers.
    The weak shall perish.
    Hidden Content

Well I like Nvidia too much to jump ship. But I won't deny ATI's surprising rise in performance and drivers. The only thing is, how was ATI beating Geforce 3? Last I recalled Geforce 3 was top of the line until Geforce 4. Then ATI emerged with it's monster card. I'm very happy with my Geforce 4 though because I can still run cutting edge games without a hiccup. But I will wait until the next generation of cards to arrive. I'll just see who deserves my hard earned cash. But as for it ATI in Xbox Next....I see no problem yet. If ATI does it again and gains in performance and drivers then it could be a safe bet to allow it in the next xbox. But if it was just a fluke then it'd be irrational to use it. But it still can be just a rumor. What I would like is an AMD chip in the Xbox, only problem is the freaking heat.
    Hidden Content
    Now Playing: Pantera - Cemetary Gates

Well, all I know is that my brothers ATI Radeon 8500le performs better than the best GeForce 3. Of I am wrong though, then there is still the current situation, The ATI's beat out the GeForce 4's and the GeForce FX's. The 5900 does seem to be the best card at the moment though.

ChickenSHHHH, Fosho & now Kortiz's Avatar

It really isnt that big of a deal when buying a god damn video card.

Buy whatever you want....you are going to be getting a good deal now adays anyway.

ATI/Nvidia....blah blah blah.

Actually it does matter Fosho, and no, you won't be getting a good deal, unless you look around. Nvidia cards are notorious for charging outrageous prices. IE: The GeForce FX 5900 going for 750$ Canadian. Its rediculous. It doesn't even perform that much better than the 9800 Pro, heck the 9800 Pro beats it in certain situations. Yet the 9800 Pro costs at least 100$ less.

ROFLMAO I love all these " Performance " tests and benchmarks. They make me pee my pants. ATI has alot to prove before they get my cash. I've read the reviews and sure ATI gets a higher FPS count nowadays but whoopee. It's damn near impossible to tell anything over 60 fps anyways so I could care less. All I know is Nividia has never steered me wrong. Drivers are always great, compatibility is always there and the games I enjoy playing on my PC anyways always seem to have extra affects in the options checklist for my Nvidia card. Faster is not always better.

Nividia = The Way Games Were Meant To Be Played !!!

^
    Fanboyism at its prime.

lol me and my friend had a bet Merimach how long it would take you to respond LMAO.

As far as being a Nvidia fanboy is concerned hell yeah I am I love there stuff and am willing to pay more for it. I am also a Xbox fanboy as well but I bet you wouldn't make fun of me for that would ya ?
    Last edited by Toonz; 06-15-2003 at 07:59 PM.

Thread Information