Thread: Short vs. Long games

Default Short vs. Long games

I know this isn't specific to fighting games, but I couldn't find any place better to put it, and it came up when talking about fighting in Enter the Matrix.

I read something interesting the other day - someone in a magazine (I think) was talking about how they didn't think short games are bad. I see his point - my job requires me to travel, so I'm only home 3 days a week. Since I want to spend time with my wife when I'm home (go figure), I don't have a ton of time for non-portable console games. Enter the Matrix took me literally weeks to complete, just with Niobe, on Easy difficulty. Something longer like Kingdom Hearts takes months and months. I don't think I'll ever even get close to finishing Morrowind. Anyone else have an opinion on this subject? I wanted to post a poll, but that would mean you could only choose one, and I felt like limiting you to "I hate short games" or "I like long games" was too... limiting.

There are some quality short games out there. Lord of the rings: two towers was short and I played through it quite a few times. I guess what it boils down to is not the length of the game, but the replayability of it.

Good point, Kraft - a game of Crazy Taxi can't take longer than 15 minutes, but I've played it off and on for the past few years now. I only wish the sequels were as fun as the original...

Every now and then you will find a sequel as good as, or better than the original. Mortal Kombat 2 was WAAAY better than Mortal Kombat one. The Dead or Alive series is constantly improving. Chances are Halo 2 will also outshine its predecessor. Just so long as I don't see any sequels to Run Like Hell or Bloody Roar, then I will be happy.

Release The First Skill Shadow20002's Avatar

First of all, you should check what genres are belong to each category. Don't have to tell, RPG is the longest than any other genres. Figthing is the shortest.
    Back into the world of gaming.

The 'A' is for 'go bAlls' thrAsher's Avatar

I agree w/ Shadow 20002.

it depends on the type of game. i recently bought Kung Fu Chaos, and found it to be just long enough. w/ the multiplayer extras and unlockables, it's a great game.....for a fighter. i mean, I ran through all the scenes in one rather short night of playing. and right away, I wanted more. thankfully, the designer's had a slew of extras and challenges ready and waiting. (Panzer Dragoon Orta is similar in this respect).

a better case in point would be Ikaruga (sp?) for the Dreamcast (and soon to be on Gamecube, those *******os!) which is extremely short, extremely tough, and addictive as all get-out.

now, as far as other genres, I refuse to buy Baldur's Gate mainly because it is so short. short RPG's are a waste of my time. if i'm going to RPG it, I want nothing less than a couple solid weeks of gameplay. Morrowind is a perfect example.

so, I guess what i'm babbling on about here is that the short vs. long debate will surely be won by who likes what types of games the most.

for me, I tend to go for longer, more involved games. still, I do like a good, quick karate fest from time to time.

Hidden Content

@~~'~~DZ~~'~~@

Thread Information