Poll: What do u think of it

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Linux mod

they should jack up the price to back to 300 for a special linux edition for cluster servers
    Blam!

Originally posted by lotec16
    they should jack up the price to back to 300 for a special linux edition for cluster servers
    LOL

Originally posted by Himji

LOL
    lol what i thought it was a good idea, but i bet not many people would buy it,
    Blam!

I rekon all the linux geeks will buy it as an ultimate spit in the face of Microsoft

PunkBuster Support Guru Batman2372's Avatar

Default You've got it all wrong.

I'm a Linux fan AND an Xbox fan. I'm all for making Linux work on it. I don't want to pirate the games. What I WOULD like to see is a DVD-Bootable Linux Entertainment Management system. I would love to be able to access my mp3 collection and play it over the Xbox (which is connected to my home theater). The same would be true of my home movies that I have saved in avi format. My current DVD player cannot play burned VCDs, so right now I'm a little SOL, so this idea is a great.

What I don't want is loading it onto the harddrive so that Xbox functionality is compromised. In essence, what I want is a loadable OS (which is easily done on PCs right now, I can make a floppy disc bootable Linux OS).
    "Who are you?"

"I'm...

Default Just use it for what it's intended for.

Seriously, what is the point? You want to watch your home movies on an XBox? You want other formats utilized on your XBox? You want to run Linux on xbox so you can run SETI? MS created Xbox for the entertainment of gamers, not Linux users. The article made it pretty clear that this hacker group will release a linux mod that would possibly have the capabilities to pirate games and the like and that it would be released if MS didn't release their own version.

Question 1:
    Why would MS release a Linux mod when Linux itself is in direct competition with Windows.

Question 2two part)
    Why does a person feel the need to cheat in a platform that shows a persons skill? Is it really that important to be #1?

Question 3:
    Why do people feel the need to complain about corporate greed and selfishness when they themselves are only out for one thing...to better the position that they stand in?

ya know what? its all for pure geeky fun, i just think it would be cool, like whatching the halo 2 in game demo on ur tv, then u can c what its going to be like on a tv and not a high res, small computer screen, red vs blue on my tv would be awsome, then all my friends and i can whatch it without being all huddeled around a small computer screen, once agian, its all for pure geeky fun
    Blam!

I must say that is the best explaination that I have heard yet lotec... thanks

Default Re: You've got it all wrong.

Originally posted by Batman2372
    I'm a Linux fan AND an Xbox fan. I'm all for making Linux work on it. I don't want to pirate the games. What I WOULD like to see is a DVD-Bootable Linux Entertainment Management system. I would love to be able to access my mp3 collection and play it over the Xbox (which is connected to my home theater). The same would be true of my home movies that I have saved in avi format. My current DVD player cannot play burned VCDs, so right now I'm a little SOL, so this idea is a great.

What I don't want is loading it onto the harddrive so that Xbox functionality is compromised. In essence, what I want is a loadable OS (which is easily done on PCs right now, I can make a floppy disc bootable Linux OS).
    Batman! Long time no see buddy! I see your still using a sig of doom

ya know what? its all for pure geeky fun, i just think it would be cool, like whatching the halo 2 in game demo on ur tv, then u can c what its going to be like on a tv and not a high res, small computer screen, red vs blue on my tv would be awsome, then all my friends and i can whatch it without being all huddeled around a small computer screen, once agian, its all for pure geeky fun
    the quality wouldnt be any different between your TV or PC Monitor. It all depends on how good the camera taping it is. IT wouldnt look any different if u played it on your TV.

THE REAL BOSS

xbox isn't powerful enough to be a cluster server :o
    RIP David (DZNUTZ) 5/23/04

is the the quality it was the fact that 5 guys around one monitor isn't as good as 5 guys around 1 large tv, and there are people who have used xbox to make a cluster server group thiny
    Blam!

Originally posted by Diddy

the quality wouldnt be any different between your TV or PC Monitor. It all depends on how good the camera taping it is. IT wouldnt look any different if u played it on your TV.
    actually they already released the high quality halo 2 in game demo and it wasn't being taped by a camera. But i guess you are kind of right about the earlier version

i just read today, that there is a new way to do it. instead of the free-x way (thats the original way, the team that created it), theres a way to do it so when you put in an audio cd, you just have to press some buttons and linux loads. so you wont JUST have linux on your xbox (the free-x way makes it so you can only have linux, like you cant even go to your dashboard, i think). but the new way lets you do it whenever you want. so its like a boot cd almost...

and they've gotten evox to run on it...so yeah...theres like no need for modchips anymore...hah

THE REAL BOSS

is the the quality it was the fact that 5 guys around one monitor isn't as good as 5 guys around 1 large tv, and there are people who have used xbox to make a cluster server group thiny

Obliviously you don't know much about cluster servers. i'm sure people have done it which u can basically do with any computer you wanted to that had the correct hardware and software support. The point i was making was the xbox isn't powerful enough to run an enterprise type cluster server. Why would someone just f'in around wanna use their xbox as a cluster server that's just a waste of an xbox :o
    RIP David (DZNUTZ) 5/23/04

Originally posted by ChaoticMage

Obliviously you don't know much about cluster servers. i'm sure people have done it which u can basically do with any computer you wanted to that had the correct hardware and software support. The point i was making was the xbox isn't powerful enough to run an enterprise type cluster server. Why would someone just f'in around wanna use their xbox as a cluster server that's just a waste of an xbox :o
    your right its not anywhere near enterprise servers, i am sure if u got enough your could, like a couple hundred/thousand, but the people who made clusters got i think 12gflop, but mostly just used for webpages and renderfarms i think, not anything enterprise
    Blam!

o yeah there are people who made a cluster with 70 ps2's, now imagine changing that to xboxs, it would be so much more powerful, but if you did get enough xboxs it would be very powerful but still not enterprise/cray stuff
    Blam!

If you guys want to learn about XBox-Linux PM me. As for why anybody would want to do this, lets see. You go out and buy an XBox. $180.00 You buy a hard drive (depending on size 30gb-130gb) $70-$150 Alright, now you put linux on there, swap hard drives. Look now, a new PC costing you $250-$330. There is a way to make USB adapters for a mouse and keyboard for the Internet. Some Linux kits come w/ a bundle of software.

When is comes down to it, loading LINUX on XBOX is totally ridiculous, and anyone who does it is just a tool. Microsoft released the game system to be a game system. If you want a $350 computer, buy an Emachine bundle for the processor and then scrap the video card, add some RAM and BLAMMO you have a PC far better than an XBOX. People who insist on doing this Linux thing are all like "But I want to run DIVX, but I want to run a server, but I want to play PC games, WAAAAAAH." Here's a thought, get a video card with video out and then go nuts. No need to break the law to do that one.

very good point.

Thread Information