Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you had the opportunity............

Question If you had the opportunity............

If you had the opportunity to modify your XBOX by installing a higher processor or better hard drive would you do it ????? Of course that wouldn't be approved by Microsoft. The instuctions would be posted on a website and you had to do it or a professional computer wiz would do it for you. I was just wondering that cause i read one of the last articles that XBOX ADDICT posted about hackers trying to discover whats inside our machines. And their objectives are to modifie the XBOX to make it faster. What if some how later on this year or in 2 years they would accomplish that and post the instructions on how to do it........ would you ?????????
    Hidden Content take that PS2 !!! Hidden Content

Frostberg

Cant upgrade the processor or HD...and there is no reason to. This is why I love consoles. It isint like the PC market where you constantly need to buy video cards and RAM and such...everyone has the exact same Xbox and all the developers know what hardware is inside your Xbox so the games will be fully optimized for your Xbox. There would also be no reason to upgrade, even if you could (and you cant) because it wouldnt do anything. For example, Halo is locked at 30FPS...so getting a more powerful processor wont help a bit because games are ment to run smoothly and the best at the current hardware levels.

How much more power do you need!?

My stupid picture in my signature won't work? it keep saying Image Hosted by Tripod... Or Image hosted by angelfire... how come angelfire doesn't allow me to post a image through there site? someone else did it through angelfire.
    Last edited by adamw19; 12-12-2001 at 11:00 PM.

who wouldn't. of course it is a great machine...but if we can make it even stronger, why not?
    shut up and play

Talking .......

To my opinion you don't need more power in the XBOX. I was just wandering what other people where thinking about this whole hacking thing. If they do accomplish what they want i hope it brings something more to the XBOX and will not destroy what it's suppose to be. I'm talking probably about emulators. That would be nice but hey my Dreamcast does that already. I would never add anything to my XBOX even if it meant that i would get better graphics or have a faster processor. I respect what Microsoft did and will always respect it. Just want to know your opinion Thank you !
    Hidden Content take that PS2 !!! Hidden Content

Official Aussie of XBA™ Rochey69r's Avatar

u wont want more power now but in a years time i bet you would!!!

if these little hacks wanna turn their Xboxes into a freaking computer to run linux and word processors,.. let 'em,...

No matter what they do to them,.. after the damage is done,.. it will not perform the way it was meant to,...

Games may skip, freeze,.. or not play at all,.. (one little hack says "But I can run linux on it!"

So Freakin what!,... the developers have a set of standards to program for, and that Standard is the highest available anywhere,...
    not even a PC game can compare,... every PC game is dumbed down to the lowest common denominator,...

No matter what the little hacks do,.. or how hard they try,... they will not make the Xbox any better than it already is,...

That's my Story,.. and I'm sticking to it,...

EGOR! WE NEED MORE POWER!!!

lol

i don't think i would. cause a) it will take them a long time to get passed the xbox security (they already have the HD passwords) b) i'd rather buy good games (which might be a while)

Default The Hardware is not the issue...

The software is the more important piece of this equation right now,,,, I mean we have enough power and graphical capability,,, it is up to game developers to create games that use what is there.

The second and third wave of games should shed some light on what the Xbox is capoable of. Only then will we know if the hardware is truely sufficent.

PhReeK out!
    PhReeK out!

I couldn't agree with you more PhReeK

The developers will have tons of cool things happening in the games soon,...

more than we could ever imagine,...

Just looking at the launch titles,.. makes it hard to believe that they are first Gen

WOW

Lightbulb

Tazilla makes some excelent points. The XBox was made to be a gaming machine. Why in the hell would you buy it just to convert it into a PC, the one thing Microsoft does not want it to be?

If Microsoft was planning on upgrading the XBox, they would have had left some open ports *cough*PS2*cough* so that you could. The XBox is excelent the way it is, and if you truly fill up your HD to the brim, odds are you haven't used half of it in a couple months, and it shouldn't be too hard to let go.

Default agree

be proud of the xbox's hardrive, its the best there is out right now. Just be grateful u dont have a lamecube which has about just as much memory as my grandmother
    WHATS THIS HES COMING IN FROM RIGHT FIELD

Henhenhenrerereololingardner

Originally posted by maneatingcow
    Tazilla makes some excelent points.
    Thank you

]Originally posted by maneatingcow
    If Microsoft was planning on upgrading the XBox, they would have had left some open ports *cough*PS2*cough* so that you could. The XBox is excelent the way it is, and if you truly fill up your HD to the brim, odds are you haven't used half of it in a couple months, and it shouldn't be too hard to let go.
    So true

Get that man a beer!

No thanks Tazilla.... I dont drink

*maneatingcow prepares for Tazilla's astonishment at how one could survive without the sacred liquid......*

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

If you think about it, the software is made for the existing XBox console. Why make it more powerful? It's not as if the software is going to provide better graphics or gameplay! The games are designed for the existing system...so, any modification will not effect this.

If people want to add a Word processor or play MPegs, etc...why don't they just get their asses off their couch, step away from their XBox (I can't believe I just said that ), and kindly journey over to their PC and do everything they need there?

The XBox is a gaming console and there are reasons why Microsoft doesn't want people messing around with the hardware. No one wants to see a ruined XBox, ya know!?

If it ain't broke don't try to fix it you will just end up breaking it. PLus why would you want to..... I mean it is an Xbox,,,,, it is not like you have a obsolete piece of equipement like the G.aycube or the PoS2.

PhReeK out!
    PhReeK out!

All the chips are soldered to the motherboard. If they were socketed I'd think about it.

I wouldn't mind upgrading the hard drive to a 7200 or 10000 RPM model if it would be compatible. I also would use a faster DVD-ROM drive if one were available.

On the other hand, part of the reason why I bought the XBOX was because I was tired of upgrading my PC every time a new video or sound card came out. I wanted the sealed system as a way to alleviate aggravation and reduce my expenses while still having the hottest games available.

So I guess I probably won't upgrade until the XBOX2 comes out.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

Originally posted by Hugh_Jass
    All the chips are soldered to the motherboard. If they were socketed I'd think about it.

I wouldn't mind upgrading the hard drive to a 7200 or 10000 RPM model if it would be compatible. I also would use a faster DVD-ROM drive if one were available.

On the other hand, part of the reason why I bought the XBOX was because I was tired of upgrading my PC every time a new video or sound card came out. I wanted the sealed system as a way to alleviate aggravation and reduce my expenses while still having the hottest games available.

So I guess I probably won't upgrade until the XBOX2 comes out.
    Mmmmmm................................yummy. XBox2...imagine the possibilities!?!? It will probably be one of those systems that don't require a screen...just a dark room and a wrestling mat so you can beat the crap (or smooch) Tina on DOA4 as a Hologram

Originally posted by maneatingcow
    No thanks Tazilla.... I dont drink

*maneatingcow prepares for Tazilla's astonishment at how one could survive without the sacred liquid......*
    mec,..

That's totally okay,..
    You're good enough,
    You're smart enough
    and Dog gone it,..
    People like you,...

There are those that don't drink,...
    There are those that do,...
    There are those like me and Max,...
    That love the scacred brew,...
    I would drink beer in a box,..
    I would drink beer with a fox,..