Thread: The Day My Xbox Died...

Default The Day My Xbox Died...

...was yesterday. I had it for a week with no problems at all. Then I made more room on another shelf for the xbox and started to move it. I pulled it out and reached around back to unplug the video\audio cord while resting the system on my knee. This caused the xbox to turn on while I was moving it. I just shut it off and continued on. Thats when the trouble started. I went to work and when I got back home I fired up the Xbox, or tried to anyway. It made a wierd sound like a motor starting up, then starting again, then stopping, then starting again! Then the light ring around the eject button that is supposed to be green was flashing red and the system made a beeping noise! I was freaking as you can imagine! I stopped and started it about five or six times and finally got it going so I tried a game for a couple of miniutes and it was ok. Then I thought I would try a DVD. This was ok for about a half hour then it froze up! I decided to go to sleep and try it in the morning. Well I never could get it going the next morning so I took it back to where I bought it, EB, and they just gave me a new one! (WHEW!) I'm SOOOOOO glad I got it there and not at walmart! It seems that moving the unit while it is on can damage it, I guess and it might have had a disk in it also. Does this seem right to you guys?? Anyway if you need to move your Xbox, take any game disks out and UNPLUG it first! Now back to HALO....

sound advice. I'll be sure to remember that....IN MARCH!!!!!!! Why do us britons have to wait so long???? Why do japan and america get everything before us. It's just not fair!!!

phooey
    Dont hate the GameCube!!!!
    If you were aged 4-12, you wouldn't care about killer graphics and amazing games. Would you??? Noooo. Thats right.

Sorry Brits, I feel your pain! Wait until you see Halo and DOA3 and Amped and.... Look on the bright side, by that time WWF: RAW will be out and you can stomp a*s with KANE and the UNDERTAKER, deadman inc, the brothers of destruction!

Frostberg

Hmm I dont quite understand how it will hurt your XBox if its moving while on. I mean, if there is no CD in there the only moving parts are the screwed on fan in the back. It doesnt seem like when you moved it you were thrashing it upon the ground or did anything that might injure the X. At least you got lucky that they had some in stock!

Originally posted by Frostberg
    Hmm I dont quite understand how it will hurt your XBox if its moving while on.
    I don't know, maybe moving it had nothing to do with it and I just got a bad one but the problems started right after that so I would be on careful when moving your xbox.
    At least you got lucky that they had some in stock!
    Yeah, im so glad! Now if only I could get WWF before Christmas!

Originally posted by pukkaboy
    Why do japan and america get everything before us. It's just not fair!!!
    Hey, Harry Potter opened on your side of the pond first
    lee

LOL Lee, thats something to be proud of

if i remember the xbox review/info at anandtech correctly, the hd is held only by a thin plastic holder, so it's VERY easy to get messed up... that's why the controllers have that extra spot where they disconnect, just to make sure that if you accidentally tug on 'em to hard the xbox doesn't go flying, 'cause it can't handle falling very well at all...

*edit - found it*

"Another thing to note is that there is no shock protection on the hard drive itself. Although the use of only a single platter can arguably reduce the damage incurred by dropping the system, the fact remains that the plastic tray that holds the hard drive does not do a very good job of absorbing shocks. In other words don't drop your Xbox. "

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1561

so i guess it's possible that just in moving it, you knocked it loose...
    Last edited by Gdiguy; 12-16-2001 at 01:30 PM.

Frostberg

well if you drop anything it can break. But he didnt drop his Xbox, he just picked it up and moved it. Your Xbox can obviously stand the droppings when it gets shipped and im sure it gets tossed around quite a bit, and i think it can handle a little pick up and move...but maybe it doesnt do quite such a good job if it gets directly dripped to the floor

If the XBOX takes some sort of impact while it is on it's possible that the hard drive read/write heads will hit the platters and damage them. These read/write heads automatically "park" when the power is shut off, thus making it safe to transport the XBOX. Always shut off your power when moving the XBOX.

definately true..... while on the hd parts are able to move, so they could bump. while off it locks in place...so it cant bump

Thread Information