Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DOOM3 has multiplayer

Default DOOM3 has multiplayer

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/do...w_6073440.html

Thats good news for sure. But i still got my fingers crossed for co-op. Since the story mode is the focus of DOOM3.
    Last edited by JJaX-XBA; 08-15-2003 at 02:09 PM.

R.I.P.DZ
    Hidden Content

but it was only 4 players on a top of the line PC.

-borka105
    thanks to thrAsher-XBA for the sweet sig

I think coop on this game would be incredible. Hopefully they do put that in, as borka said, 4 player multiplayer isn't exactly a ball oh fun. It was in the mid 90's but not now.
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

4 player DM isnt fun?

I take it you guys never played a 4 player FFA in halo? Or a 4 player FFA in HALO with system link.

R.I.P.DZ
    Hidden Content

I heard about the new screens but never went to chec them out myself.

I am with JJax, the number of players that make multiplayer fun is tottally dependant on what game it is. Four player bomberman is insane, four player Perfect Dark is not so good but still fun and four player Halo is even fun. Four player Unreal Tournament sucks though. I think Doom 3 will be fine, seeing as they were planning from the start to have four player, I think they will develop a multiplayer aspect that takes the four players and creates a spooky and ultra-fun time.

I too am sort of hoping for co-op, I love co-op games.
    Hidden Content name="quality" value="high" /> Hidden Content quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="88" height="70" name="H2lvl" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />

It does all depend on what type of multiplayer modes they put in there. Deathmatch would be boring. I haven't heard of what they are doing for multiplayer game types. id isn't really known for their stellar low player multiplayer games, it has always been about DM and CTF.
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

Just stay on your grind DocHoliday78's Avatar

Yeah i knew they were gonna put in the multiplayer but i hope it will be bumped up to 6 players. And yes co-op would rule.

Personally, I'm not looking forward to doom 3 at all......yet. So far it looks like a tech demo that requires a monstrous machine to play. I'm not saying that it doesn't look fantastic, just that I hope they put as much time into gameplay mechanics as they have into graphics.

JJAX, that's very true.............. but that was due to the fact that HALO had perfect gameplay. The controls felt so right and some of the maps very perfectly built for 4 players. On the other hand, many of the maps required more tha 4 and made 4 player boring becaue of the size.

DOOM3 hasn't proven that it has the gameplay........ until it does, all these stats of what it is or can do is pointless.

-borka105
    thanks to thrAsher-XBA for the sweet sig

yea its been confirmed it has multiplayer since the alpha came...you can play multi with pistols... its just basic nothing fancy...they are concentrating on single player...
    "Keep your head up and your hatchet high..."

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

I love multi-player...if anything, it adds huge replay value to a game. Sure, we all know that DOOM 3 will have a bad ass single player "campaign" to it...that goes without saying, but, multi-player is where the replay value comes in...especially for XBL

Originally posted by spectre187
    yea its been confirmed it has multiplayer since the alpha came...you can play multi with pistols... its just basic nothing fancy...they are concentrating on single player...
    So you are saying the Alpha has a multiplayer mode? I know the main screen has a multiplayer option (Thinks it does, sees it in his memory) but that still doesn't really confirm anything as it wasn't playable. Do you have the code to get the multiplayer working or something?

And why does it seem like everyone is bashing Doom 3? Geeze, its like some of you are getting nervous that it will be better than your precious Halo so you are turning all fanboy. Not to sound mean or anything but grow up. Give the game a chance.

Oh and to those who say it needs a monstrous PC, here are the minimum requirements. This first "graphics card requirement" was taken from planetdoom.
    What will be the requirement for a graphics card?
    The Platform for Doom 3 will be GeForce 3 and above cards but supposedly you can play it on a Geforce 1 but you will have to turn ALOT of the visual off to play. An ATI Radeon 9700 and GeForce FX5900 would be a safe bet.
    That last sentence means that the ATI Radeon 9700 and the GeForce FX 5900 cards would be optimal for performance and image quality. It doesn't mean you need one of those. What you will need at the very minimum to play with all the settings on is a GeForce 3 or a Radeon 8500, two very old cards if I might add.
    Planetdoom.com

Here is the requirements as stated in the Doomworld.com un-official FAQ.
    Early indications suggest that the target system for Doom 3 will be a 700 mhz system with 128 megabytes of RAM and a "high-end" video card (assumably GeForce-level or higher). However, these specs are very tentative and will probably change multiple times.
    Now those early target specs are very low, very low indeed. Heck, Spartan VI could almost play it on his system! So even if they do raise those stats I am guessing it will be to a 1ghz CPU, 256mb ram and a GeForce 3 or equivalent card. That is by no means monstrous either, infact, its far from it.

It seems most poeple see the great graphics Doom 3 has and they just automatically assume you will need a system with an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb, Intel pentium 4 3.2 GHZ w. Hyperthreading, and 1 gig of PC 3200 DDR Ram. However, as I have already pointed out, that is not true.
    Hidden Content name="quality" value="high" /> Hidden Content quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="88" height="70" name="H2lvl" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />

for multi you can only use pistols or it ****s up and you have to hex edit some of the code and the animations aren't finished in it so it slike the marine glides around

What is the code to use the multiplayer in the Doom 3 Alpha? I asked you in my last post, if you have played it and know how, then tell me.

ask that koopa guy i gave it to... i deleted it off my hard drive but i still have it on cd and im a lazy ass to look it up on there... tell him to open up the instructions notepad file and ask him to post the section on multiplayer that tells you how to enable it... or just ask him tos end u the text instructions thing file

"if you have played it and know how, then tell me"
    oh and your lucky i'm even telling you who you can get it from because i'm not going to go throuigh the trouble of unraring the giant ass rar just to get that for you when you demand it of me...next time have some respect...instead of demanding me to tell you something just ask...**** off and have a nice day

Haha, you're telling me to have some respect? That's a good one.

Multiplayer
    FIRST OFF!!! THIS IS AN ALPHA, AND THERE ARE MANY MANY MANY UNFINISHED PARTS!!! THIS INCLUDES THE MULTIPLAYER, SO THERE ARE MANY MANY MANY LIMITATIONS!!!

First off, before you are told how to play multiplayer, here are some of the limitations:

1) Only the Pistol works, using any other weapon, kills the client connection.

2) Player animations are NOT finished!!! So the players look funny walking around the rooms "stiff"

3) None of the E3_x maps have Deathmatch starting points by default, So you will need to edit them,
    or download pre-edited maps, and add them into your base/maps/ directory accordingly.

4) IF there are any mosters on the level, there is a very good chance when they attack one
    of the players, and or kill one (or are killed) It will kick off the client connection.
    This means, you will also have to have an edited map that includes no monsters!

5) So If you are playing an edited map, BOTH PLAYED MUST HAVE THE SAME REVISION MAP!

6) If the client player kills the host player, it will usually end the server connection,
    This means GAME OVER, time to start a new server, and reconnect!

OK, now that you know the limitations, here is how to start a server, conenct to the server
    and some techinfo & notes. keep in mind THIS WILL WORK BEST ON A LAN!

To be (start) a server, bring down the console, and type:
    "spawnserver mapname" //(ie. "spawnserver empty")

next, goto the client computer, and type:
    "connect computername" //("connect windows_computer_name")

Now, this will work fine for the LAN, but if you want to connect over the internet,
    it gets allot more tricky. SINCE THIS IS AN ALPHA, the connect command does not recognize
    ip addresses as a valid parameter. BUT, there are ways around this.
    1) Make sure the computer you are connecting to has a internet DNS name, and then type:
    "connect mydomain.com"

2) Second methed, edit your local windows hosts file to point to the ipaddress of the DooM ]|[ server.
    To edit Your windows hosts file type the following line in the "Start -> Run" command:
    notepad %windir%system32driversetchosts

at the bottom of this file, you will see the following line:
    127.0.0.1 localhost

You will need to add a line below that one telling the computer where the DooM ]|[ server is,
    something like this:
    123.123.123.123 doom3server

Except, you would use the real ip address of the server you are going to connect to.
    Now, from the client computers doom console you would type:
    "connect doom3server"

Thats it! you should be connecting!!!
    However, if you have a firewall router setep, you will need to open the following ports:
    27973 UDP
    27974 UDP

NOW ON TO A WORKING MULTIPLAYER MAP!!!
    if you have the jk_v01_e3_2.zip edited e3_2 map file, extract the e3_2.map file into your
    "doom_iii/base/maps/e3" directory.
    BEFORE YOU DO THIS BACKUP THE EXISTING E3_2.MAP FILE!!!!!
    you can download the file here: www.ushells.net/~pwone/jk_v01_e3_2.zip
    or here: http://paradoxi.net/~prh134/jk_v01_e3_2.zip

SOME NOTES ON THIS MAP:
    It has had all the monsters taken out!
    It has had 2 Deathmatch starting points added into it!

It has a few issues when you are playing it:
    1) The cutscene is still there, so the first time a player walks over the trigger,
    both players will have to watch the cutscene.
    2) The door is locked, so one player will have to unlock it for the other player,
    after that its DeathMatch TIME!!! (the Doorkey is 9-2-4 if you didn't already know)

Thats it!!! have fun! mad thanx to russ, prh, and me

Source

R.I.P.DZ
    Hidden Content

Originally posted by borka105

DOOM3 hasn't proven that it has the gameplay........ until it does, all these stats of what it is or can do is pointless.

-borka105
    Doom 3 has rock solid gameplay. You really feel the impact of shooting things in this game. Its hard to explain. And the game does an amazing job of creating the right mood. I cant wait....

R.I.P.DZ
    Hidden Content

BLAM! That POS got shut down!

Thread Information