Thread: x-box componet video out?

Default x-box componet video out?

I am wondering if it is worth it to buy the componet video out av set, the one that includes the fiber optic out.

Will the xbox acutally output true componet or even s-video in games, or it is just a converter, which doesnt give you true compoent quality?

Thanks for any help

You mean the Monster Cables? I havem. Why wouldnt they output true HDTV? Xbox already does 480p natively and games are out that support 720p 1080i. Mabey i dont understand your question.

what im saying/asking is that currently i have the stock outputs, the RCA ones, and they are selling a Componet output, which plugs into the same port.

Is it just like a converter, aka you can get a converter that plugs into RCAs and makes it a s-video output, but it doesnt improve your video any, its just a way to push the singal thru, or do the difffernt connectors (pluged into the same port) output different singals, aka true s-video/componet

If you have a good TV which has component inputs, then yes component looks FAR better than composite. S-video is also much better than composite but is not as good as component.

And steer clear of the Monster Cables. Way overpriced and not as good as the real Microsoft A/V pack.

I recently got the MS A/V pack with component outputs. Was running S-Video. There is most definetely a BIG difference on my tube. Component looks so much more colorful and crisp.

Originally posted by Zion
    If you have a good TV which has component inputs, then yes component looks FAR better than composite. S-video is also much better than composite but is not as good as component.

And steer clear of the Monster Cables. Way overpriced and not as good as the real Microsoft A/V pack.
    You get what you pay for. I payed about $30 for my monster component cables, not too bad.

Back to topic. Are you saying you have a device that takes a component in, modifies it and shoots out regular red, white, and yellow AV?

Looks like some confusion going on, even I'm confused as to what you are asking so I'll just put this out straight.

Worst cable connections to best cable connections.

RF (coax)
    composite (yellow)
    s-video
    component (blue, red, green)

So if your tv only has composite and s-video, you get s-video which means you would need the MS Advanced A/V kit. That is your best possible video connection for that tv.

If your tv has component cable connections then get the MS HD A/V kit. Even if you don't have an HDTV but you have component connections you will see a jump in image quality and color saturation.

So that is it. Nothing is converting anything to anything else. It is just a straight connection for the xbox to your tv. The A/V kits just have a connector box to give you the proper cable outputs as they don't put any on the back of the xbox.
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

I have the Monster 400 series XBox Component video cables. I love them eventhough everyone here will tell you that it's not the way to go because of the price tag. I got them for a good deal, though, the only downfall with them is that you have to purchase the proprietary fiber optic cable by Monster if you choose to use a 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound system. I bought it anyway and everything rocks!

Component is also the only way to get High Definition if you have an HDTV

Eek

is the component audio better than optical audio??????????????

Default I still dont think you understand the question

I know componet looks the best, and fiber optic out is the best etc etc.

What im saying is, the connector for the componet (from the xbox to the TV) is the same port as the RCA lines, (aka there is only one A/V output PORT on the xbox, you only buy a new connector) or the S-video if you have that connection.

I have componet, svideo, and rca on my tv. What im asking is, if it is true componet, why is it pluged into the same port as the RCA lines? Or am i crazy and there is another port? (on the xbox)

ALSO, how can you hook up a fiber optic line for sound? I dont see a port for that either. (on the xbox)

I know im confusing as hell. Lets put it this way. I can take my 1983 VCR, with only coax out, and use a converter to RCA, or even s-video. But it wont make a single difference in picture or audio quality. Is this what the xbox does? Or does it somehow use the exact same port, but with a different plug, and output TRUE svid, or componet.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by electec_1; 09-16-2003 at 12:34 AM.

i understand what your getting at, thats a good question, maybe ask some1 at microsoft...............

You are confusing a few things.

It is true, there is one connection on the back of the xbox and this is a proprietary connection for the Xbox. It is not RCA. It is closer to a modified VGA connection.

When you connect the component cables to the Xbox with either the HD A/V kit or the Monster 400x cables you are getting an unconverted signal straight from the xbox. In other words you are getting the max quality from the xbox. You could throw the RCA cables that came with the xbox away since you won't be using them.

When you connect s-video or composite (RCA) cables to the xbox the signal is downgrade to that particular signal. It isn't the other way around.

As for optical sound, you only get that connection if you buy the Advanced A/V kit or the HD A/V kit. You can also purchase 3rd party cables like the Monster kits and Madcatz cables that also have an optical connection.
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

Thank you very much. Now i know its worth it to spend 40 bucks.

Thanks alot again.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

Originally posted by electec_1
    Thank you very much. Now i know its worth it to spend 40 bucks.

Thanks alot again.
    That's because Lynxfx-XBA is da man!

I understand what you are asking now...and Lynxfx-XBA nailed it. Basically, Component is going providing the optimal connection from the XBox to your television set, however, the S-Video (Advanced A/V pack) and the Composite (standard RCA cables that come with the XBox) are downgrading the ability of the XBox to match up with a television with lackluster options.

Mastermind also asked "is the component audio better than optical audio??????????????"

Answer: The audio cables that come with the Component video cables (whether they are from the High Definition A/V Pack or the Monster 400 series XBox Component video cables) are simply analog stereo cables...the same old cables you get when you purchase your XBox. The video portion is what the main issue is here. An optical cable provides a digital signal instead of the lesser analog. And, with an optical cable that attaches to the High Defintion A/V pack, Advanced A/V pack, or the Monster 400 series Component (and I think the 300 series S-Video cables), it is the only way to get true 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound if the receiver supports it. With the analog stereo cables, you're only, at best, getting a simulated 5.1 sound, not true 5.1. With the stereo cables, you'll likely get the effect of what those cables are meant for: left and right audio...

Hope that helps!

Thread Information