Thread: platinum hit requirements?

Question platinum hit requirements?

anyone know what makes a game a platinum hit that way i can keep an eye out..

getting tired of paying for a game then like two weeks later they get announced as platinum hits

It's when they sell some certain amount of copies- It seems pretty subjective though, as Halo is still full-price in many areas, and some of the games PacMan World didn't exactly seem to fly off of store shelves.

Usually you can tell by how long a game has been out- When it gets to be 6mos or so start looking for a price drop, and after like a year, that's when they seem to turn. But other than actually researching, there really isn't any sure-fire way to knwo when a game will be discounted all the way down to $20.

Did you have any certain games in mind?

thinking about getting panzer and sega soccer slam.. broke down and bought time splitter 2 used..

I thought I read when they first introduced "Platinum Hits" that it was supposed to be titles that sold certain high number of copies, thus calling it a hit. But in reality what it has turned into is a marketing gimmic to boost sales for poor selling titles. The gimmic is that they take a poor selling title, reduce the price to $20, and call it a Platinum Hit. The public then beleives that since it is a hit, a lot of people must have purchased the title, so they themselves go and and but it for $20. Generating more sales which equals more $$. I bet you anything that once Halo 2 comes out, the original Halo sales will decline, prompting them to turn into a Platinum Hit shortly afterwards.

To achieve Platinum Hits status, a game must sell a certain amount of copies; I think the number is around 500 000 copies for X-Box titles. There are exceptions, though. Take Halo for instants. This game has significantly surpassed 500 000 units sold, managing to sell over 3 000 000 units! When a game is selling extremely well, surpassing the publishers expectations, the game sustains its initial price until sales of that game start to decrease.
    Sometimes, though, if a game is selling extremely poorly, Microsoft might decide to grant Platinum Hits status to that game to increase sales.
    Last edited by Cold_As_Ice; 10-23-2003 at 10:43 AM.
    'The 'bliss' of ignorance is not happiness, but instead an absence of trouble. Happiness accompanies the complete exercise of an individuals' human capacity. Approximations of happiness accompany this to the degree that it's realized. The 'bliss' of ignorance is a poor approximation.'

Good Traders List: p.27, p.30, p.30, p.33, p.36, p.37
    Hidden Content
    Props to the art team at Hidden Content for the sig.

[/size]

Fidelis Ad Mortem ScottTheKilla's Avatar

Ya look at some of the games....definately put in that category because of poor sales. Halo is a perfect example of that. It sells great still so they will keep it at full price to make more money. I wonder when they are going to finally lower the price on that game though, damn...

Originally posted by Xebec
    I thought I read when they first introduced "Platinum Hits" that it was supposed to be titles that sold certain high number of copies, thus calling it a hit. But in reality what it has turned into is a marketing gimmic to boost sales for poor selling titles. The gimmic is that they take a poor selling title, reduce the price to $20, and call it a Platinum Hit. The public then beleives that since it is a hit, a lot of people must have purchased the title, so they themselves go and and but it for $20. Generating more sales which equals more $$. I bet you anything that once Halo 2 comes out, the original Halo sales will decline, prompting them to turn into a Platinum Hit shortly afterwards.
    Yep...I agree 100%. Thats videogame marketing for you.

Organ Donor, your sig pic is f'n disgusting.. I hope that gets deleted soon.

The PSKT is for...

[list=1][*]Decent Overall Sales[*]Sales Dropping Recently[*]Currently lower than retail pricetag ($20-$40)[/list=1]

The Addict Formerly Known as Hidden Content / PapaSKooT-XBA

Originally posted by CarGuy
    Organ Donor, your sig pic is f'n disgusting.. I hope that gets deleted soon.
    hahaha...Its actually a cartoon picture, but when I transfered it into a negative it makes the guy look a lot more realistic.

Release The First Skill Shadow20002's Avatar

At least being old....like around 2 years.
    Back into the world of gaming.

i dont think mortal kombat is two years old.

Wait Mortal Combats is a platinum hit?

That would be sweet i would go and buy it right now.

yeah it is a platinum hit... the newest platinum hits are
    dead to rights..
    maxpayne..
    mortal kombat..

and a couple of star wars games..

i think they put all the crappy games and games no one knows about in the platinum hits then tag on 2 or 3 great/recognizable games (ie: max payne medal of honor and panzer) on the end to make people who dont read reviews think that all the plat hits are actually hits...

panzer isnt a platinum hit is it? cuz thats the game i want..but i dont wanna pay 30 for it..just to have it go platinum a week or two later.

thats what happened to me on morrowind and amped..

i dont know if panzer is or not just using an example...i read in a previous post that it was..may of been an error on my part.

Thread Information