Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has Gaming got worse??

Thatspropa Bo I tell thee The Xbox Mafia's Avatar

Angry Has Gaming got worse??

(Im sure this subject has been brought up time and time again and Im sorry if you guys are bored of this topic but I just want to know your views) Has gaming got worse, I mean I know a lot goes into making games and creaters normally try their best to make the games as good as they can be (with a few exeptions i.e Enter The Matrix), but its things like: a game nowadays now normally last me only about 2 weeks and once Ive completed it has nothing more to offer me. Although I do agree that gaming today is the most advanced it has ever been and that there are some real gems of games out there. And i just mean generally.... so has gaming got worse wats your views?
    Xbox games I own: Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance, Halo, Capcom vs SNK2, Top Spin, Soul Calibur , RB63 Ninja Gaiden and T.H.U.G

Gamertag: Reservoir Box

I think games have come a long way and now are much better

games like Halo and even vice city

Loves Katamari Damacy StudioAlex's Avatar

I'd say it's better and worse.

There is no doubt that more crap is produced today than ever before, but there is also constantly new technology coming out which creative minds work to exploit in marvelous ways.

Gaming as big business has many ill effects because it leads to many presumptions on the part of money men, those who weren't in this from the beggining, about what players want.

If companies figure out that it's not a movie-like experience we crave but the feeling of immersion, then things would be better.

But look at the movie industry. The scope of things that can be done is much wider today than say, 1950, but there aren't as many good movies made and the rate of crapola increases exponentially every year.

The golden age of gaming (the genesis and snes years) is behind us. There will still be good software, but it will get increasingly harder to find it underneath the overhyped and the licensed.

vice city was a rehash, im boycotting rockstar anyway cuz the pc version blew and wouldn't run when i had way over the sys reqs, and halo is overhyped and halo brings nothing new that the pc hasn't already brang, popularity does not necessarily mean a game is good...don't buy into hype
    "Keep your head up and your hatchet high..."

I agree with the first reply int his thread. Also, if you look back at Mario Bros. poeple can and could beat it in a matter of hours. Minutes even. There is a video on the net somewhere of a guy beating it in 8 minutes. The reward for beating that game was a harder difficulty.

Now if you look at todays games, record times are like 6 hours, on easy mode. Then there is few other modes as well. Also, when there are "prizes" they are a lot better than just an extra difficulty.

I think gaming reached a plateau in thet ransitional period over the millenium transition. However, now I believe we are sky rocketing forwards in the industry. Games like Half Life 2, Doom 3, Halo 2 and Far Cry are pushing the industry like crazy. Not to mention Deus Ex 2 and STALKER. From the physics engines in those games to the "playability" nothing in the past can compete.
    Last edited by MerimacHamwich; 10-24-2003 at 11:33 AM.
    Hidden Content name="quality" value="high" /> Hidden Content quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="88" height="70" name="H2lvl" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />

Loves Katamari Damacy StudioAlex's Avatar

Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
    I agree with the first reply int his thread. Also, if you look back at Mario Bros. poeple can and could beat it in a matter of hours. Minutes even. There is a video on the net somewhere of a guy beating it in 8 minutes. The reward for beating that game was a harder difficulty.

Now if you look at todays games, record times are like 6 hours, on easy mode
    I wouldn't confuse quantity with quality. Much of said hours we spend playing games is dead time, movie from one area to the next, which is by nature a part of 3d. No matter how many times I beat a game like Final Fightr or Golden Axe, it's always fun to play through again because the game is just fun and there is no lag in gameplay.

I like 3d, but I don't think game length has anything to do with quality. Xenogears felt like it took an eternity, and I didn't find it very fun after all that time.

Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
    There is a video on the net somewhere of a guy beating it in 8 minutes.
    geez, i want to see that vid
    I completely beat mario 3 in a matter of 2 hours a while back, w/o even using a warp whistle
    "Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination." - Mark Twain

I've played alot of great games in the past 25 years, and I frankly can't remember a time that was better than any other. The majority of releases have always been mediocre, you just don't remember them because they're so forgettable. The technology helps, but I liken games to books. No matter how immersive, your imagination is what gets you there. The storytelling is what is the key, and thats the ingrediant that is missing in alot of games. Thats true with games, movies, books... and it's really always been they case that a very few are truly good, and the rest are struggling to get there.
    your vision, our vision...ColecoVision.

"I think you're extremely suggestible and prone to magical thinking."

Originally posted by spectre187
    vice city was a rehash, im boycotting rockstar anyway cuz the pc version blew and wouldn't run when i had way over the sys reqs, and halo is overhyped and halo brings nothing new that the pc hasn't already brang, popularity does not necessarily mean a game is good...don't buy into hype
    Worked great on my pc.

Haloo was never overhyped it's a great game. xbox version is my favourite game of all time (i've been playing games 10 years).

tell me a game that is better than halo, i bought it on the release day and i play it at least 4 times a week on xbc.

I think Halo is overhyped. It's a great game, and worth having, but it has plenty of flaws. I definitely disagree with people who try to say it's the best game ever made. If Halo 2 fixes Halo's problems, then maybe I'll say that about Halo 2...

The Trash Man

Flaws and problems?

What are these?

This game is one of the most technically sound titles ever created. I would like to hear one of your flaws...
    *~The XBA Trash Man~*

**Taking The Trash Out**

Release The First Skill Shadow20002's Avatar

I don't know but i like some classics.
    Back into the world of gaming.

Originally posted by bbchs_trash
    Flaws and problems?

What are these?

This game is one of the most technically sound titles ever created. I would like to hear one of your flaws...
    ok, where do I start?

Some levels are highly repetative in design. The later indoor levels come to mind.

The weapons are unbalanced. The pistol is way too powerful. Weapons like the machine gun and the needler are too weak.

Except in combat, Master Chief's unique abilities, such as his strong melee attack and super jumping ability are completely ignored.

While allowing for exploration, the levels are quite linear, and offer no REWARD for exploring.

There are serious framerate problems near the end of the game.

There are no bots for multiplayer maps.

There are not enough multiplayer maps, and most of them suck anyway.

There are too many scripted events, which can lead to embarrasing moments, like Pelicans disappearing from mid-air or floating weapons, etc.

There are numerous bugs involving falling into or through geometry, enemies dying and falling onto invisible shelves, etc.

The Library sucks.

I could go on and on. Lets not pretend Halo is perfect. It's not.

Originally posted by thegamepeddler
    I think Halo is overhyped. It's a great game, and worth having, but it has plenty of flaws. I definitely disagree with people who try to say it's the best game ever made. If Halo 2 fixes Halo's problems, then maybe I'll say that about Halo 2...
    no way man halo is badass i played it since it came out and it is a near perfect game. i have played a lot of games from consoles and computers. halo is the best game ever made, i still play it all the time on xbc
    i know where you live

ok, where do I start?

Some levels are highly repetative in design. The later indoor levels come to mind.

The weapons are unbalanced. The pistol is way too powerful. Weapons like the machine gun and the needler are too weak.

Except in combat, Master Chief's unique abilities, such as his strong melee attack and super jumping ability are completely ignored.

While allowing for exploration, the levels are quite linear, and offer no REWARD for exploring.

There are serious framerate problems near the end of the game.

There are no bots for multiplayer maps.

There are not enough multiplayer maps, and most of them suck anyway.

There are too many scripted events, which can lead to embarrasing moments, like Pelicans disappearing from mid-air or floating weapons, etc.

There are numerous bugs involving falling into or through geometry, enemies dying and falling onto invisible shelves, etc.

The Library sucks.

I agree, and I can think of a ton more such as only 2 team colors, but still, Halo is a DAMN good game.

I think that it has gotten better. Because of many things including; online gameplay, better graphics, more realistic gameplay, better games....the list goes on.

gaming got a lot more complicated then back in the day. playstation has always gone for lets make as much games as we can regardless of how much they suck. thats why xbox is so badass they got some really awsome games like halo, morrowind ,kotor. but they still got some crappy ones to like kobuki warriors god that game sucks people need to put out good game and not rush them

Agreed, Halo is not perfect, no game will ever be perfect. There will be games that come pretty damn close to perfection (hmm... like Halo), but there will never be a game that everyone can agree on.

Anyway, games have gotten better and they will only continue to get better. You'd have to live under a rock with an Atari to think gaming hasn't improved in everyway. Compare; Wolfenstien 3D, Doom, Duke Nukem, Quake, Unreal, Half-Life, Halo, Doom3/HL2/Halo2. Yep, they've gotten better.

Well, I just think that it seems eveyones expectations keep getting higher for some games EX: Enter the Matrix, and Brute Force. And when they come out and they are just ok, people say that they are horrible.

I think it comes down to a matter of taste. A lot of classic games that people loved back in the day, were just not for me. Unlike others which I still play today, to pick one out of the hat, Yoshi's Island on Snes. Now a lot of people may disagree, but it just comes down to what the individual enjoys.
    As for the Halo argument that has been going on, I think it is amazing. OK it has flaws, but name something (not just games) that doesn't. For there to be good there has to be bad.

Things can only reach a certain point, and they cannot be made much better. What would you do to a paper clip to improve upon it?
    Yes, boys and girls. I am here.

Thread Information