Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Racing Games Promote Speeding, Project Gotham Racing 2 to be Pulled from Shelves?

Release The First Skill Shadow20002's Avatar

Default Racing Games Promote Speeding, Project Gotham Racing 2 to be Pulled from Shelves?

State Labor MP Paul Gibson, chairman of the Staysafe Committee, intends to take the matter up with the Office of Film and Literature Classification, which approves such games for sale in Australia, and which issued a G rating to Project Gotham Racing 2.

"This game sends the wrong message to young people. It is actually glorifying speed and power," Mr Gibson said. "It is clearly an inappropriate depiction of speed behaviour. If I had my way I would ban it."

There is no research into how racing games affect the attitudes of young drivers. But, Mr Gibson said, there is enough research into risk-taking behaviour for there to be a concern.

"It's better to be safe than sorry."

Source@
    Back into the world of gaming.

thats the stupidest thing ive ever heard, I'll be getting PGR2 tomorrow hopefully, so they wont screw ME over! muahaha

Wow, how ignorant is that? I hate politicians.

Clash Member

sounds ridiculous to me

Hey people, its not the game makers fault your kids a dumba**!

Default Re: Racing Games Promote Speeding, Project Gotham Racing 2 to be Pulled from Shelves?

Originally posted by Shadow20002
    State Labor MP Paul Gibson, chairman of the Staysafe Committee, intends to take the matter up with the Office of Film and Literature Classification, which approves such games for sale in Australia, and which issued a G rating to Project Gotham Racing 2.

"This game sends the wrong message to young people. It is actually glorifying speed and power," Mr Gibson said. "It is clearly an inappropriate depiction of speed behaviour. If I had my way I would ban it."

There is no research into how racing games affect the attitudes of young drivers. But, Mr Gibson said, there is enough research into risk-taking behaviour for there to be a concern.

"It's better to be safe than sorry."

Source@
    We need to silence Mr. Paul Gibson. Exposing his rhetoric to young impressionables could encourage stupidity.

Default Re: Re: Racing Games Promote Speeding, Project Gotham Racing 2 to be Pulled from Shelves?

Originally posted by Peepers

We need to silence Mr. Paul Gibson. Exposing his rhetoric to young impressionables could encourage stupidity.
    EXACTLY!!! I hate these people who want something else to blame their kids problems on. If your kid took a gun and killed a bunch of people because of GTA they had something wrong to begin with. If they speed because of a video game theyre a dumba** to begin with.

I hate politicians too. Halo didnt cause the sniper shootings, GTA didnt cause a friend killing a friend, Doom didnt cause a school shooting, Mortal Kombat didnt cause a friend to stab a friend.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

One of these days, polititians will realize that playing any game, a person is simply acting as the role of someone or something they are not.

For instance, I'm not a professional racer in real life, however, in Nascar Thunder, I am.

I'm not the head Marine and superhuman in the year 2552 and saving the universe of evil in real life...however, I am when I play Halo.

I am not a professional snowboarder in real life, however, I am when I play Amped or Amped 2.

I can go on and on......Paul Gibson is an idiot and should go back to playing with his slinky.

Originally posted by Maximus-XBA
    One of these days, polititians will realize that playing any game, a person is simply acting as the role of someone or something they are not.

For instance, I'm not a professional racer in real life, however, in Nascar Thunder, I am.

I'm not the head Marine and superhuman in the year 2552 and saving the universe of evil in real life...however, I am when I play Halo.

I am not a professional snowboarder in real life, however, I am when I play Amped or Amped 2.

I can go on and on......Paul Gibson is an idiot and should go back to playing with his slinky.
    No Maxy, you're still an overweight homer look-a-like. We all are--or are on our way to becoming one. Sad but true...Ooopsy Peepers forgot to take his medicine!

Project gotham racing deosn't even have traffic in it or people to run over. Why do they pick on good xbox games. mario kart double dash has people throw things at cars around them. This guy is so dum.

ChickenSHHHH, Fosho & now Kortiz's Avatar

*stops playing GTA3 for the day* IM GONNA GO KEEL THAT BIAIAIAIATCH!!!!!!!!

WHERE IS MY GOD DAMN GUN!!!

I agree that any kid deciding he's going to emulate a game he was playing earlier and then blame the developers for"encouraging" him to do it needs real psychiatric help but don't accuse all politicians of being idiots. Sure there are some really dumb ones who can't handle dealing with issues so the find the cheapest scape goat on the block to blame it on yet we never hear much about the good politicians, you know, the ones who chose to do a job where everyone will hate them because they have some morals and wish to make there country better. Ehh, it's just my opinion(and don't get me wrong I would rather the state were gone but right now we really need those poeple).
    XBox Live games I own:
    -Return to Castle Wolfenstien
    -Halo 2
    -Fable
    -Splinter Cell

Riiiiiiight. I'm gonna play PRG 2 for a few days, then jump into my little 1.3L civic and rip up the streets in my neighbourhood, just like O.J............ , heck, maybe I'll even execute the launch of my secret RPG's out of my fog lamps while I'm at it......
    FUSA

Exclamation THE SOLUTION:

Sue God.

Okay? Stick with me on this one:

Morons inspire Paul Gibson.
    Racing games inspire (some) morons.
    The automobile inspires racing games.
    Man creates the automobile.
    God creates man.

And that my friends, is the beauty of the "Trickle Down" effect.

(Read each sentence from last to first if you don't follow).

THE REAL BOSS

I won't even begin to rant about this latest smell of BS, so i'll just give it a quick
    RIP David (DZNUTZ) 5/23/04

It is a possibility that it influences speed. But only idiots fall for this stuff and Mr. Gibson is truly a non-gamer who probably grew up without a TV. Racing games are an essential part of the game industry. Plus most car accidents are caused by alcohol and not necessarily influence from racing games.

It would be awfully stupid if they banned some racing games, especially ones such as PGR2.

Well..........they needed something to blame speeding on..............right?

Wow all my thoughts on this have pritty much been expressed by others regarding this topicin this thread. But I would also like to chime in with the fact that there are many older Americans that buy into all this horse s4!t, so this jack off really does gain some support of idiot ideas like this; I know thats sad. But on the other hand he losses some too. However who do you think voted him into office in the first place? Was it younger people like our us? No it was those people who likely belong to AARP, this single biggest voting block in the US.
    Hidden Content target="_blank">Hidden Content

Put your hand on a hot stove for a min. and it feels like an hour; play a cool game for an hour and it feels like a min. Brevity's def. of relativity.

Maybe politicians should be going after car manufacturers that produce vehicules capable of reaching 250mph instead of video game makers.

I bet this Gibson fellow would be the first person to burn a light or speed in a school zone.

Thread Information