Thread: Movement Recognition Hardware Coming to Xbox?

Release The First Skill Shadow20002's Avatar

Default Movement Recognition Hardware Coming to Xbox?

Where else could one find a video game that may coax couch potato kids into shape and watches that monitor the state of the world?

While the technology showcase Comdex is billed this year as leaner and more business focused, it didn't stop thousands of tech enthusiasts from scrutinizing a range of new gadgets.

Many sedentary computer-types had a chance to work up a sweat at a booth featuring the "Action Stick."

This adjustable, tripod-looking stick contains 18 infrared sensors that replace the joystick in a video game. Instead of just the thumbs and palms getting a workout, kicks and punches control the action of the on-screen character.

The more the effort, the more entertaining the action, said Brian Pyon of the South Korean gaming company Bestsoft.

"We did a study that showed playing with this for a half hour was better than swimming or jogging," said Pyon.

Source@
    Back into the world of gaming.

Sweet...can anyone say... XBOX BREAK DANCING! So is this only for fighting games like Dead or alive?

Formerly Jerred B Dyslexic Chaos's Avatar

this is retarded. The games industry already tried this on thje genesis and it failed miserable .You have to kick to move, and anything else. This might have worked back in the days of the 6 button controllers, but nowadays, things will be much too comllicated and you'd have to be too accurate tomplay well... boringggggggggggg.

Ya, back in the days of Genesis there wasn't such things as DVDs! Thats how long ago it was, and there are TONS of new technoligy! This can easily be 1 of the best add-ons for all virtual fighting games such as "dead or alive" or "mortal combat"! Try it out b4 u call it crap!
    ** "yOu wAnnA f**k wIt Me?... YOu r F**kiN wiT dA BEsT" **

crazy HALO guy

intresting.... could be fun... geuss it depends on price though
    he went to hell and back, and back agian

Proud member of: Hidden Content http://armotech.us/wg-65/65-pic.jpg "
    wana play with me and my big gun?

This kind of gaming concept will always be "a few years ahead of its time." But even if it did work, and was 100% reliable, wouldn't you prefer sitting on your ever fattening @$$?

Originally posted by LiquidX
    Sweet...can anyone say... XBOX BREAK DANCING! So is this only for fighting games like Dead or alive?

oh yah .. break dancing!!
    <[ WSD ]> NTSC Division First Soldier
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Sniper for Hire

Originally posted by Jerred B
    this is retarded. The games industry already tried this on thje genesis and it failed miserable .You have to kick to move, and anything else. This might have worked back in the days of the 6 button controllers, but nowadays, things will be much too comllicated and you'd have to be too accurate tomplay well... boringggggggggggg.
    Yup the Sega Activator. I think I'm the only one that actually bought it, and I still have it even though I sold my Genesis a long time ago. It was a blast to play with back then but sadly had nearly no support.

Hopefully what they are talking about doesn't turn into the same lame item known as the Sony Eye Cam, or whatever that thing is called.

Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

Halo 2 Junk Creator WrathfulPoppa's Avatar

Originally posted by LynxFX-XBA

Yup the Sega Activator. I think I'm the only one that actually bought it, and I still have it even though I sold my Genesis a long time ago. It was a blast to play with back then but sadly had nearly no support.

Hopefully what they are talking about doesn't turn into the same lame item known as the Sony Eye Cam, or whatever that thing is called.

That would be the EyeToy

Back on topic, these types of things are actually quite fun but may get boring after a period of... 5 minutes. The only way to keep the replay value would be versus modes. That is, you get in one booth and your friend gets in the other and you duke it out without ever really touching each other. That, in my opinion, would be the only way to really sell such an item.
    Hidden Content
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Xbox Live games: Project Gotham Racing 2, Mech Assault, Rainbow Six 3, Unreal Championship, Ghost Recon, Whacked (playable demo), Moto GP (playable demo)

The rest of my Xbox games: Halo: Combat Evolved, SegaGT 2002, Transworld Snowboarding, Brute Force, Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3, Jet Set Radio Future, NFL Fever 2002, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, Dead or Alive 3, Splinter Cell, Fuzion Frenzy, I-Ninja, Deus Ex: Invisible War

i think this could work on platform games ,such as run an duck.it might turn out pretty cool
    Hidden Content props to Caged Soul for the sig an props to my mom for giving birth to me

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

I think it would be sweet in a first person boxing game..or fighter

Movement controller?... Not cutting edge enough... I want an ESP controller!

They've done this with Tekken in the Arcades. It looked cool, wierd, and ridiculous at the same time. But hey no one ever thought they could make a good FPS on a console right?
    Hidden Content
    Now Playing: Pantera - Cemetary Gates

Originally posted by Peepers
    This kind of gaming concept will always be &quot;a few years ahead of its time.&quot; But even if it did work, and was 100% reliable, wouldn't you prefer sitting on your ever fattening @$$?
    You're damn skippy! That's the whole purpose of gaming to duck reality until you die. If I want to workout or do something with my life I'd go to the gym or climb Mt. Everest.

This is MY HOME

Halo 2 Junk Creator WrathfulPoppa's Avatar

The thing is that it appeals to a certain audience. Just because not everyone will like it doesn't mean they shouldn't make it... I still thing DOA3 versus modes with this gadget would be awesome. Imagine turning on the TV and watching tournaments built off of this. You could watch Jackie Chan duke it out with Bruce Lee or Chuck Norris... That would be sweet to see them jumping around in their little pods pulling off drunken boxing masterpieces and all that. Hell, I could go on Xbox Live and fight Jackie Chan for myself! I could really go on forever about it.
    Hidden Content
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Xbox Live games: Project Gotham Racing 2, Mech Assault, Rainbow Six 3, Unreal Championship, Ghost Recon, Whacked (playable demo), Moto GP (playable demo)

The rest of my Xbox games: Halo: Combat Evolved, SegaGT 2002, Transworld Snowboarding, Brute Force, Tony Hawks Pro Skater 3, Jet Set Radio Future, NFL Fever 2002, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, Dead or Alive 3, Splinter Cell, Fuzion Frenzy, I-Ninja, Deus Ex: Invisible War

I would love to get one of those for dead or alive. That would be so fun. I would probably kick through the wall or something but it sounds cool. I don't know what other games though other then mortal kombat, dead or alive, and deathrow, and boxing stuff.

Originally posted by Trento52
    I would love to get one of those for dead or alive. That would be so fun. I would probably kick through the wall or something but it sounds cool. I don't know what other games though other then mortal kombat, dead or alive, and deathrow, and boxing stuff.
    I would like to have one of those just for the dead or alive girls.:wink:

Originally posted by Peepers

I would like to have one of those just for the dead or alive girls.:wink:
    yeah.....they may have to bump up the rating on extreme beach volleyball
    "Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination." - Mark Twain

Originally posted by FragMaster B
    Movement controller?... Not cutting edge enough... I want an ESP controller!
    Yes, that would be cool... but... Who would want to play a game and then the whole time be thinking, "Shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot..." or "Punch, kick, punch, kick, punch, kick..."

I'd rather have digital smells. Mmmm... Resident Evil sure smells good.

Most of this crap never works out as well as a plain old controller. Probably the most popular genre-specific controllers are Steering wheels and joysticks.

And, just for the record, I HATE DDR...I think it is the scourge of the earth....

I don't know where that came from...

Thread Information