Thread: Greg Kasavin @ Gamespot

Default Greg Kasavin @ Gamespot

Greg kasavin @ Gamespot.com

I just read a bunch of this fellows Xbox reviews versus his PS2 reviews, he completely sucks!! I'll post some of my findings here later, but you can pretty much discount anything this guy writes as well as his scores.

I've also seen better writing and reviews here on XboxAddict han the reviews he writes. Greg is doing a lousy job servicing the Xbox community with his lousy reviews.

Did anyone read this guy's assement of Dues Ex 2? I mean, the guy starts picking at things like frame rates and AI. Both of these were perfectly fine to me. I bet if it was a PS2 game, it woud have gotten a 9.5 and heralded as the best game ever.

Greg Kasavin couldn't write his way out of a Mad-Lib anyways.

Junkhead

He is pretty bias. Theres another guy there that will never give xbox games 9's. But you gotta know that its just one guys opinion so really try to read other reviews.

I don't know if I've ever read any of this person's reviews, but I probably have considering all the GS reviews I read.

I've always considered it a good thing that they are harder on Xbox games. This tells me that they hold games on the Xbox to a higher standard. IIRC, GS states explicitly in its review policy that their expectations of a game are directly proportional to the systems capabilities and they compare graphics and things to other games on the same system. So this tells me that they expect more out of an Xbox game than they do a PS2 game, as well they should.

Having said that, I do realize that most people probably don't look at this the same way I do. And I acknowledge that routinely rating the PS2 version of a multi-platform game higher could give the appearance of a tacit endorsement of the PS2, but I think that's the wrong way to look at it.

Good points Peepers. I know that certain writers probably do have a bias towards a certain console. However, sometimes other factors have to be considered.

Having said that, I do realize that most people probably don't look at this the same way I do. And I acknowledge that routinely rating the PS2 version of a multi-platform game higher could give the appearance of a tacit endorsement of the PS2, but I think that's the wrong way to look at it.

Yeah, you could be right Peepers. It's just that this guy has written a ton of reviews on Gamespot for Xbox. He's one of tose guys who complains if anything on XBox drops below 60 fps. He'll also go on and on about something that is wrong on the Xbox verison of a game, while completely ingoring the same thing on the PS2 version. It drives me crazy that, no mater what the scoring policy, a multi-platform game will actually get a higher score on the PS2!!! Even if the game looks better, supports HDTV, or whatever on the Xbox!!

If anything, Xbox should always score higher for sound just because of Dolby 5.1 support in-game, but it never does. In that respect, Gamespot fals to follow thier own ratings policy.

Junkhead

Originally posted by junkhead

Yeah, you could be right Peepers. It's just that this guy has written a ton of reviews on Gamespot for Xbox. He's one of tose guys who complains if anything on XBox drops below 60 fps. He'll also go on and on about something that is wrong on the Xbox verison of a game, while completely ingoring the same thing on the PS2 version. It drives me crazy that, no mater what the scoring policy, a multi-platform game will actually get a higher score on the PS2!!! Even if the game looks better, supports HDTV, or whatever on the Xbox!!
    Right. That's the point. Consider the a typical muli-platformer: it might use every bit of power on the PS2, but if it only looks marginally better on the Xbox, then it's falling short of its potential. Just as it's only fair to rate gameboy games against other gameboy games, its only fair to rate PS2 games against other PS2 games. So while this game might look really great compared to other PS2 games, it's Xbox version will look sup-par compared to many other Xbox games. Therefore, the PS2 version might get a 9.8 in the graphics department while the Xbox version only gets a 7.6, even though the Xbox version looks better. The same goes for all other areas (sound, AI etc.). If a game doesn't make the most of the Xbox's potential, it's not going to look very good compared to the Xbox games that do, thus the lower rating.

If anything, Xbox should always score higher for sound just because of Dolby 5.1 support in-game, but it never does. In that respect, Gamespot fals to follow thier own ratings policy.
    I don't know too much about the differences in audio support for the Xbox vs the PS2, but this still seems justifiable. IIRC, the Xbox supports more simultaneous channels of audio and its superior processing power allow better amplification/fading as you approach/move away from an audio source. That would seem to justify the higher standards. I've also seen Xbox games lose audio points for failing to include custom soundtrack support, another example of holding the Xbox to a higher standard.

What Peepers said lol. Thats what I was trying to say

This is why XboxAddict is my favorite Xbox message board. Nobody sits around and just posts "Yeah, Greg sucks" or "Gamespot sucks."

It's nice to get some different views when when I get frustrated about Xbox related websites.

I had to stop visiting Gamespot for reviews because I couldn't stand how boring they were. I'm sure they all got good grades in English class, but their articles and reviews just don't connect with me. I want to read reviews from guys that I can identify with, but I just don't get that enthusiastic 'vibe' when I read theirs. Don't know why, but that's my 2 cents.
    Hidden Content Got Clan?

Starving College Student

yeah ive stuck with IGN for the past...wow about 5 years i think...back when they only had IGN64, MS only made computers, and dolphin was nintendo's next gen console..

they always have an excited vibe..like when you read their articles you can tell theyre excited or at least enthusiastic about their job..or when they have to review a crappy game, they make it fun. i love reading th e1.0 games' reviews
    Official Turtle of XBA

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thread Information