Thread: 30 fps in PGR2 = is it smooth enough?

Take It As It Comes TegSkywalker's Avatar

Question 30 fps in PGR2 = is it smooth enough?

I had the original Project Gotham Racing for the Xbox, for which I loved. It ran at 60 frames per second (fps) and became one of my favorite racers ever. Lots of challenge, customizable soundtracks, and of course had nice graphics and track layouts.

The other day I was by this Xbox kiosk and noticed that PGR2 was the game being displayed. I knew from reading reviews that PGR2 ran at a constant 30 fps instead of 60 to keep up with the improved graphical engine.

To my eye, I could definately tell the difference between 30 and 60, and the game seemed a little.... hmm not as smooth and streamlined in the racing. I am looking to get the game either way (online play is a BIG plus), but for all of you that own this game, is the framerate really an issue?
    Current Xbox Live Games: Counter-Strike, Project Gotham Racing 2, Splinter Cell: PT.

Nah never. I played PGR2 for like 6 hours straight during christmas break when it snowed, and it slowed down for like a second, i believe it was because it got overheated. But other than that, no problems. It's a great game, but platinum is too hard!
    -Mark

2 born killers of society Hard Boiled Cop's Avatar

I haven't seen any major frame rate issues on PGR2. I too am playing it on Platinum and it is friggin hard. I can tell you this, you can't earn alot of kudos.
    Easy to pick up, hard to put down.

never slowed down for me, and ive had it since november

Originally posted by BananaMan
    Nah never. I played PGR2 for like 6 hours straight during christmas break when it snowed, and it slowed down for like a second, i believe it was because it got overheated. But other than that, no problems. It's a great game, but platinum is too hard!
    you wimp..... i played 18 hours on x mas break....

and no slowdown at all....

and WOW IT DOESNT HAVE 60 FPS! most games dont...FYI...

LOL

TV's display at 29.97 (NTCS) frames a second, 25fps for PAL.

If you can tell the difference between 60 frames and 30 frames a second, on something that ONLY displays at 29.97 frames a second you should get your eyes checked. The only way you would really notice the difference would be when it drops below 29.97fps.
    Blam!

The PSKT is for...

Only slowed down a few times, and that was when 8 ppl went into a sharp corner, at 130 mph, all at once, online

The Addict Formerly Known as Hidden Content / PapaSKooT-XBA

I've never noticed any FPS issues with this game. Not one. The game plays just fine.

You Can't F*ck With Me!!! CC-CRC's Avatar

Originally posted by lotec16
    LOL

If you can tell the difference between 60 frames and 30 frames a second, on something that ONLY displays at 29.97 frames a second you should get your eyes checked. The only way you would really notice the difference would be when it drops below 29.97fps.
    Thats correct. LMAO ****. I can tell the difference between something i can't see and how are you supposed to measure the FPS theres no code like on The PC or something.
    Xbox Games I Own:
    Nfl Fever 2002, 2003, 2004
    GTA Double Pack, Star Wars KOTOR, Xbox music mixer, Crimson Skies HRTR, HALO, Unreal II, Unreal Championship, Rainbow Six 3, Splinter Cell, Mechassault, Medal of Honor Frontline, Outlaw Volleyball Red Hot, Outlaw Glof 9 More holes of Xmas, Midtown Madness 3, and OXM's Demo Disks from Volume 3 - Present

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content quality="high"width="400"height="120"type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"

Just stay on your grind DocHoliday78's Avatar

Nope the game owns. I think pgr2 runs and looks better then the first. I guess my eyes arent as good as yours

I don't even notice the framerate in PGR2. I'm never concsiously aware of it, so I guess that means its not an issue.

Default Re: 30 fps in PGR2 = is it smooth enough?

Originally posted by TegSkywalker
    but for all of you that own this game, is the framerate really an issue?
    I dont have an issue with the fps. The game is alot of fun to play and it improves upon the original 10 fold. More tracks, more cars, showroom, garage w/ arcade cabinet in the back which can be played, etc. If anyone loved the first one, pick up the second right now.

BTW, even though the first game ran at 60 fps, the real time reflections were at 30 fps.

LOL

Sorry, that's not true. That would suck. TV's accurately display whatever FPS the game runs at, and you can tell the difference between 30 and 60 frames per second. Ever seen Metroid Prime? Rallisport Challenge? They run at 60 fps. And fighting games have been running at 60 fps for a while, even on PS1.
    Last edited by PoetSaskia; 01-14-2004 at 12:37 AM.

Originally posted by PoetSaskia

Sorry, that's not true. That would suck. TV's accurately display whatever FPS the game runs at, and you can tell the difference between 30 and 60 frames per second. Ever seen Metroid Prime? Rallisport Challenge? They run at 60 fps. And fighting games have been running at 60 fps for a while, even on PS1.

TV's refresh at 60hz, but if you have a normal interlaced tv it takes 2 passes to update the whole screen because it updates the odd lines on one pass then the even lines, making for the whoping 30 frames per second.

It's like a computer monitor at 60hz, you are being displayed 60 NEW pictures a second no matter what, if your gettin 337fps your still only going to see 60 of those per second. The only time you will notice it is when it goes below the 60, because you should be seeing 60 NEW pictures but some are repeated because there isn't a new one to display yet.
    Last edited by lotec16; 01-14-2004 at 03:37 PM.
    Blam!

Originally posted by PapaSKooT
    Only slowed down a few times, and that was when 8 ppl went into a sharp corner, at 130 mph, all at once, online
    Yeah, the framerate is solid in PGR2. The only time it ever happens is when a few people all jam into a corner at a high speed.

TV's refresh at 60hz, but if you have a normal interlaced tv it takes 2 passes to update the whole screen because it updates the odd lines on one pass then the even lines, making for the whoping 30 frames per second.

It's like a computer monitor at 60hz, you are being displayed 60 NEW pictures a second no matter what, if your gettin 337fps your still only going to see 60 of those per second. The only time you will notice it is when it goes below the 60, because you should be seeing 60 NEW pictures but some are repeated because there isn't a new one to display yet.
    However a Tv's refresh rate works, you can certainly tell the difference between a game running at 30 frames per second and one running at 60. Well, I certainly can, anyway. Why would they make games that run at 60fps if it were impossible to tell the difference? Again, haven't you ever seen Metroid Prime or Rallisport Challenge? Rogue Leader? Haven't you noticed the better performance?

Originally posted by PoetSaskia

However a Tv's refresh rate works, you can certainly tell the difference between a game running at 30 frames per second and one running at 60. Well, I certainly can, anyway. Why would they make games that run at 60fps if it were impossible to tell the difference? Again, haven't you ever seen Metroid Prime or Rallisport Challenge? Rogue Leader? Haven't you noticed the better performance?

No matter what you are only being shown 30 pictures a second, no matter what.
    Blam!

No matter what you are only being shown 30 pictures a second, no matter what.
    I don't use a TV, I play games on an old Commodore monitor. I don't know what the refresh rate is, but I know it's a good deal sharper than a TV. Anyway, that is sort of beside the point, because I know I am not the only one who is able to appreciate games that run at 60 fps; I have discussed it with others in other forums. I have read countless game reviews referring to whether or not a game ran at 60 frames per second, and it was always good if they did. According to you, it is a moot point. Either you are simply mistaken or you are not seeing the whole picture or something. I wish someone would come along and clear this up.

I talked about it with my friend. He said 60fps would be a little better because you would get the most recent frame that is made, which I could see a slight improvement there. I have never seen two games, on at 60fps and one at 30fps right next to each other so i guess i don't know. I think i'm just stuck on the fact that tv's only display 30, so how could you appertiate having more if you only see 30 anyways.

I donno.
    Blam!

Thread Information