Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a difference or is it a MONSTER scam ?????

Default Is there a difference or is it a MONSTER scam ?????

Since most of you finally got your XBOX now that Christmas passed away i would like to know if anyone is using the normal A / V cables to plug your XBOX or the MONSTER CABLES ???? If your using the MONSTER CABLES is their really a difference ????? I'm considering to switch to Monster cables but i wanna know if it's worth the price and the effort of getting some. Thank you

P.S. I would buy the RED WHITE and YELLOW Monster Cables. My Sony tv only supports that. I don't have component video right now
    Hidden Content take that PS2 !!! Hidden Content

Default Cables

I am a long-time Audio/HT freak - but the debate over cables is as old as the hills.

Cables can SOMETIMES make a SLIGHT difference, but for the most part, NO.

For example: Upgrading from composite video (the yellow cable you are talking about above) to S-video or Component, yes, a BIG difference.

Moving from one type of composite to another, NO....unless the composite video cable you are currently using is VERY old and falling apart.

Swapping a new composite video cable from Microsoft with one from Monster is a waste of money....put it towards a game.

Good luck.....

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

Vteck...think of it this way:

Compare two flashlights for just a moment. They both produce light, right? But, let's say that flashlight #1 has a scratched lense and the batteries are somewhat low. Flashlight #1 is simply a flashlight that holds two "D" size batteries. Yes, it produces the image of light when you flash it on a wall, but is there a way to make it better?

Now, take a second flashlight...we'll call it flashlight #2. This is a brand spankin' new flashlight...new batteries and it holds four "D" size batteries....one that is typically used by police officers. The lense isn't scratched because it's brand new and, of course, this produces light as well.

But, as you can imagine, eventhough both of these produce light, flashlight #2 is much brighter and richer. This is how you compare cables. In a way, the cables are like these flashlights that produce the image, which in this case, is the video display on your television. It's important to get the best kind of connection to get the best picture. Monster cables will give you a much richer, bright, and clear screen that the standard composite cables that come with the XBox. Yes, the standard composite cables work okay, but, if you are wanting to improve your picture, I strongly recommend getting the cables made by Monster. But, don't purchase Monster's basic composite cables...that won't make a difference. If your TV supports it, purchase the Monster 300 series Get Monster 400s if you have Plasma

I hope this analogy helps

Default Re: Cables

Originally posted by idloveaguinness

Swapping a new composite video cable from Microsoft with one from Monster is a waste of money....put it towards a game.
    ..or a new TV

Maximus - I have to disagree here.

While that's probably a good analogy for comparing the differences between different TYPES of cables (composite to component), there is NO way he is going to see any difference in his setup.

Trust me Vteck......save the $'s.

There has been lots of testing (DBT) on this matter, and discussed to exhaustion on other forums. The results are mostly subjective.....and technically inconclusive.....

Maximus - I have to disagree here.

While that's probably a good analogy for comparing the differences between different TYPES of cables (composite to component), there is NO way he is going to see any difference in his setup.

Trust me Vteck......save the $'s.

There has been lots of testing (DBT) on this matter, and discussed to exhaustion on other forums. The results are mostly subjective.....and technically inconclusive.....
    You could be right...but, all I know is that I have a 36" Toshiba S-Video TV...and the Advanced A/V Pack does wonders, as it has S-Video...big difference, as I believe you mentioned in your post.

But, the general message I was trying to portray is that it's wise to get the best connection possible, especially if a TV supports it. I'm sure you agree with that.

But, Vteck...what kind of TV do you have? How old and what types of inputs do you have on it?

Ahhhhh, I think we have a mis-communication.......

He ONLY has composite video in (the yellow video cable). So he was asking if a Monster composite video cable would be better than Microsoft's composite cable, and I say "no".

Recap:
    Not so good: RF jack
    Better: Composite Videg
    Good: S-vid
    Best: Component Video

Yes....best connection possible......the further down that list you are, the more "light" your "flashlight" is pushing out.......and the happier you'll be.....

So, I think we actualy ARE in agreement......

Ahhhhh, I think we have a mis-communication.......

He ONLY has composite video in (the yellow video cable). So he was asking if a Monster composite video cable would be better than Microsoft's composite cable, and I say "no".

Recap:
    Not so good: RF jack
    Better: Composite Videg
    Good: S-vid
    Best: Component Video

Yes....best connection possible......the further down that list you are, the more "light" your "flashlight" is pushing out.......and the happier you'll be.....

So, I think we actualy ARE in agreement......
    Exactly! lol...sorry about that. It was early for me when I first starting explaining things...and yes, it's "Monday"

Originally posted by Maximus

Exactly! lol...sorry about that. It was early for me when I first starting explaining things...and yes, it's "Monday"
    lol, dont even try it maxi-pad-imus! Yo ass got caught!

Originally posted by Ninja Scroll

lol, dont even try it maxi-pad-imus! Yo ass got caught!
    lol, Ninja Turtle

I must admit, I was caught....I failed to see the idea that composite was replacing composite. Of course, there will be no difference seen. If there is, it will be so minimal that it won't make a big enough impact.

Maximus: you weren't caught with anything.....no worries.

Now I will attempt to confuse the issue further:

I submit that, all things being equal, S-video and Component video are indescernable on any TV 36" or smaller.

Default .......

I own a SONY Triniton 32" tv set. I bought it in 1998 i believe. It has the A / V and S video in the back of the tv but can't make it work with the XBOX for some reason. I have a RCA video selector that is connected to the tv. This way with the switch of a button i can choose whatever unit i wanna use. The RCA video switch unit features 6 openings where i can put 6 different units. Each opening features the usal RED YELLOW and WHITE A / V inputs and they also features 6 Video S inputs. But i can't instal a Video S cause when i do the tv goes black all the time. So for some reason i can only hookup my XBOX with the simple A / V cables. I haven't tried to hookup my XBOX with the A / V cables and the Video S directly to the tv cause i know that would work but all my other units ( DVD, Dreamcast, VHS and PS ( yes i do have one of those ) ) will not work on the same tv. I might consider buying a new tv and if i do i will get the new ones with the component video at the back. But if i can't i was wondering if the regular Monster cables ( the RED YELLOW and WHITE ) would do a difference ????????/ Thank you for your help.
    Hidden Content take that PS2 !!! Hidden Content

I'm going to be in agreement that better cables don't usually yield better quality.

I'm a HUGE car audio buff, and I'll tell you right now, the difference between $20 and $200 cables of the same type/length/size is nothing. Most of the time the more expensive cable will have fancier materials, but it rarely ever yields better quality.

I've actually tried the difference between $5 and $100 RCA audio cables in my car, the difference... well there was none! IF you change from a smaller cable to a larger cable, you may see a difference (mind you that's in 12 volt power consumption... lol)

I tend to think that Monster cables would really only make a slight difference on say a large High Definition TV, since any noise shaved off on a regular tv by better cable compisition would be neglagable at best given the lower res picture of the interlaced screen. I'm running a 27" Trinitron with composite and there is still noise that shows in the picture due to the TVs output abilities so spending $60 on cables wouldn't help me much since I've reached the TV's clarity limits anyways.

PIMP

Would there be a difference In a normal Fiber Optic Cable (Digital Optical Cable) and the Moster FOC?

Also, If a TV has S-Video Is It possible It has component video too? Component being the highest quality..

-Matt

Pimpn419,

Toslink optical cables is probably the type of cable that shows NO difference from the $10 kind to the $200 kind. The only problem with getting the Monster Xbox cables is that they force you to buy the jacked up price Monster optical cable since they use a proprietary connector on the xbox cable side. How nice of them.

It is possible for a tv to have S-video and component connections. It is all up to the manufacturer. They can put as many or as few connections as they want.
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

Originally posted by Lynxfx
    Pimpn419,

The only problem with getting the Monster Xbox cables is that they force you to buy the jacked up price Monster optical cable since they use a proprietary connector on the xbox cable side. How nice of them.
    Not True. Whoever told you that was either wrong or lying.

Vteck:

Here's your problem......you cannot change connector types in-line. Meaning, you cannot take s-vid from the XBOX to the switch and then send a yellow RCA to the TV.......EVERYTHING NEEDS TO USE THE SAME TYPE OF CABLE.

For Example: If I had a DSS, DVD Player, XBOX and a VCR all hooked up to a HT reciever via S-Video, the signal would have to be sent to the TV via S-Video as well.......if any of those components was hooked up via RCA or Component video, that component wouldn't get a picture......

This has nothing to do with your TV or XBOX - it's just the way it is. (Unless you have a converter box.......which your is not, it's just a switch)

Default To: Vteck3000

The problem you're having with your RCA video/audio switcher is that it's a passive type of device. What I mean by that is, it takes whatever video signal you input and only SWITCHES it to the corresponding output. Input composite, output composite.

If you want something that can convert between composite (RCA) connections and S-Video, you should look at something like a Sima SVS-4. This unit will upconvert composite to S-Video. That way you could hook up the S-Video input to your TV, XBOX via SVid to the switcher and everything else that's composite to the switcher. As a bonus, the SVS-4 will autodetect which input is on and switch to it, or you can manually do it with the remote.

Pimpn419,

The only problem with getting the Monster Xbox cables is that they force you to buy the jacked up price Monster optical cable since they use a proprietary connector on the xbox cable side. How nice of them.

Not True. Whoever told you that was either wrong or lying.
    I think Lynxfx is right here. I have the Monster 200x cables and their overpriced fiber optic link (was forced to buy the monster as part of a package). idloveaguinness - how else can you connect the fiber optic cable to the monster cables if you don't have their jack? Is there a third party jack that works?

Originally posted by Alvin
    Pimpn419,

I think Lynxfx is right here. I have the Monster 200x cables and their overpriced fiber optic link (was forced to buy the monster as part of a package). idloveaguinness - how else can you connect the fiber optic cable to the monster cables if you don't have their jack? Is there a third party jack that works?
    I guess I'm not sure what you guys are talking about........does Monster make XBOX A/V packages?? If so, you are probably right. And that make me hate Monster even more.......Toslink uses a universal connectio type, and if Monster re-invents that just to take advantage of guys like us, I'm pi$$ed.

What I am talking about is the MSFT High Def and Advanced pacs - ANY optical cable from ANY manufacturer will work with either of these..........but I guess you knew that......

Thread Information