Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Has XBox lost its competitive edge?

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus SYN
    Once more and more people realize that the hard-drive for the PS2 is, right now, only useful for Final Fantasy and not their old games, it will flop just like the PSX. I'm working my last week at an electronics retailer that I work at part-time and we have yet to sell a single PS2 with Final Fantasy and the HD.

Seriously...people that own a PS2 now generally don't want to spend $100 more dollars to play a game...not even this game. Secondly, for anyone that is new to purchasing a PS2 that doesn't own one already definately are not candidates for spending even more money to buy one that has a HD. There's a lot of cheap SOB's out there
    Before people drop $100 on that, they'll more likely get a another console. I'd be more likely to pick up a Gamecube for example, than a peripheral for my aging console.

The PS2 HD may or may not be a flop. For all I know, it maybe thrown together with the rest of the crap peripherals that the PS2 has ( like that retarded Eye Camera piece of crap ). Hopefully, I am proven wrong between now and XBox Next and PS3.

I just hope that the powers that be at Microsoft/XBox change their minds about adding a built-in HD. They shouldn't sacrifice quality and performance to save bucks and to make the thing look smaller or they will end up becoming the next GameCube.

Hopefully, the people at Microsoft realize that the people that already bought the XBox will more then likely buy the XBox Next. As long as the cost of XBox Next isn't more then $300 bucks ( how much I paid for my XBox when it came out ) and the XBox isn't bigger then the TV, people will still buy it. Besides...within a couple of years of release......the cost of the system will go down.

Default ps2 another thing..

What I see when I look now on the market is this picture :

ps two is in the market over five years and still kicking, If u are a ps two fan u can go to sleep quietly at night because u know that if u buy another ps system you can sleep for another five or more years, and this is a really great life time span for a console.

about not been able to operate the games as the xbox ... welp all I can say is that before splinter cell cam out every one said that the light system is so complex that no console can operate it...barley half year pass and what do u know a magic happened! play station two gamers could play this game and u know what it's running very good on this system.
    I have to admire how the game s and the graphics really upgraded themelsf in the playstation and how amazingly the programmers mange to use every bit of this console and make all the new games that come to the box also to the playstation.
    but when I look on an xbox game , u will have to excuse me on this one, I don't see any big improvement in gfx, true they are very good but they look like this from day one.
    the reason mainly is because xbox games are ports from the playstation, so u can't see that big of a difference.

so when it's coming to choose the next system, it's really funny to talk about that, because IO own the xbox barley two years, and already talking on upgrade, and not only me but every one here, while my ps body that own his machine, after five years still playing doesn't think on any upgrade, and he sure will buy the next playstation because he can play it for another six years...and not two..

ps two is in the market over five years and still kicking, If u are a ps two fan u can go to sleep quietly at night because u know that if u buy another ps system you can sleep for another five or more years, and this is a really great life time span for a console.
    It is a great Life Span, but it's an anomally. It's had no competition over this time frame. Since the Xbox has arrived, the Pis2 has suddenly started coming out with peripherals(online adapter, hard drive) because of competition. Basically they're trying to keep their client base distracted, "see, we got that too". So, don't think that because PS2 had a long unchallenged run, it will continue.

but when I look on an xbox game , u will have to excuse me on this one, I don't see any big improvement in gfx, true they are very good but they look like this from day one.
    Well, first you're saying Xbox graphics look no better than PS2, then you say they look great, but haven't improved. And if I had to take a stab at it, I'll bet you're playing the Xbox on the same crappy TV, you've had for 20 years. To truly appreciate the graphics of the Xbox you need a quality television.
    Last edited by CRAYMAN; 04-06-2004 at 04:17 PM.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC
    The PS2 HD may or may not be a flop. For all I know, it maybe thrown together with the rest of the crap peripherals that the PS2 has ( like that retarded Eye Camera piece of crap ). Hopefully, I am proven wrong between now and XBox Next and PS3.

I just hope that the powers that be at Microsoft/XBox change their minds about adding a built-in HD. They shouldn't sacrifice quality and performance to save bucks and to make the thing look smaller or they will end up becoming the next GameCube.

Hopefully, the people at Microsoft realize that the people that already bought the XBox will more then likely buy the XBox Next. As long as the cost of XBox Next isn't more then $300 bucks ( how much I paid for my XBox when it came out ) and the XBox isn't bigger then the TV, people will still buy it. Besides...within a couple of years of release......the cost of the system will go down.
    MS has formerly announced that if the PS3 has a hard-drive, the XBox 2 will also have a hard-drive.

But, I think hard-drives may become a thing of the past with flash memory...that is if flash memory has enough storage.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

About XBox graphics compared to PS2 graphics:

If anyone here hasn't played on an HDTV, you have no idea what you're missing when playing XBox.

Sit down and Shut up!!!!! CharlieHustle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus SYN
    About XBox graphics compared to PS2 graphics:

If anyone here hasn't played on an HDTV, you have no idea what you're missing when playing XBox.

Amen to that too, i play on a 46" widescreen HDTV and the graphics are beautiful. Seeing games played on 480p is jaw dropping.

Default ..

you do understand that u are hanging on a very thin leaf... this is ridicules buy a console because it has an amazing gfx on hdtv which cost like a house?

Most of the games don't use this feature, my friend have a forty five inch Toshiba rear projection, it was really amazing to play on it, but when we hooked a playstation on it was also good, so playing on big tv;s is something good no matter what console u playing, and believe me that ps three will have a hdtv format in it, and much more formats that u haven’t heard of because as u know Sony is manufacturing TV’s most of the time..

pay attantion how mcu time we spend here talking on how sony is that , and how sony is going to do that, instead of playing, whilke people that have sony never speak on the box , and mainly playing thier console, and not attanding this forums as much as we do, our presence here is just a prof of how much we are angry with what we got. (to this point again I will say xbox is better then ps two, but the next gen is diffrent story.)

Default ghgh

Quote Originally Posted by CRAYMAN
    It is a great Life Span, but it's an anomally. It's had no competition over this time frame. Since the Xbox has arrived, the Pis2 has suddenly started coming out with peripherals(online adapter, hard drive) because of competition. Basically they're trying to keep their client base distracted, "see, we got that too". So, don't think that because PS2 had a long unchallenged run, it will continue.

thier client base distracted ? ? hello?! they are leading the industry to five to one ..

Well, first you're saying Xbox graphics look no better than PS2, then you say they look great, but haven't improved. And if I had to take a stab at it, I'll bet you're playing the Xbox on the same crappy TV, you've had for 20 years. To truly appreciate the graphics of the Xbox you need a quality television.
    no all I say that when it's a pure xbox game , something microsft devloped I don't see any big diffrence in gfx, take for example raly sport challenge one and the next one that coming is exectly the same gfs, while other games surly can't show the power of the box becuase they are just ports of ps two games with little improvment, while if u take a look at games that came to the play station at first and now, u will see a big improvment..

this is ridicules buy a console because it has an amazing gfx on hdtv which cost like a house?
    It's not our fault you live in a hole. Welcome to the 20th century.
    I didn't buy my TV based on a console. I already had a large screen TV, well before I purchased my Xbox(when I play Xbox games there is a significant difference in picture/graphic quality).

my friend have a forty five inch Toshiba rear projection, it was really amazing to play on it, but when we hooked a playstation on it was also good,
    Rear projection TV's are going to look like CRAP, especially if they're not HDTV.

so playing on big tv;s is something good no matter what console u playing
    (I just put this up to laugh at it.)

and believe me that ps three will have a hdtv format in it, and much more formats that u haven’t heard of because as u know Sony is manufacturing TV’s most of the time..
    I don't know why they would include HDTV format since "playing on big tv;s is something good no matter what console u playing"

(to this point again I will say xbox is better then ps two, but the next gen is diffrent story.)
    This is driving me nuts. After spending so much time stating how the PS2 is better, then you say "but even if it isn't, next gen is diffrent story"

Let me say, IF I already had a PS2, I don't know if there is enough of a difference to warrant an Xbox purchase, however the Xbox is clearly superior and if you're having to choose between an Xbox and a PS2 the choice is clear.
    Last edited by CRAYMAN; 04-07-2004 at 10:14 AM.

Talking My Opinion....

In my honest opinion, Microsoft hasn’t lost it’s edge, it’s just holding back. The Xbox’s system life is slowly dying. XBox 2 is too near to unload any revolutionary titles for the XBox.

Microsoft put a lot into the XBox to deliver some killer titles, develop an amazing online gaming community, and gather a major fanbase. The PS2 came out well before the XBox, had an existing fanbase of rabid fans, and was extremely hyped due to the “System Shortage” (Read Headlines: PS2 Sells Out, which is not so hard when stores got 1/3 of the systems they were promised).

Right now, Microsoft is pooling it’s assets into one major area: XBox Live. Anyone who has played it can agree it’s addictive as s***, and subscribed users are much more likely to purchase an XBox 2 over a PS3 if their live account can be used on all of the launch titles.

[QUOTE=CRAYMAN]It's not our fault you live in a hole. Welcome to the 20th century.
    I didn't buy my TV based on a console. I already had a large screen TV, well before I purchased my Xbox(when I play Xbox games there is a significant difference in picture/graphic quality).

In the hole I live in this tv's cost much less then other holes ...places u don't klnow probebly, some of them called paris,,,other london, WAKE UP MAN! USA isn't the only place in the world as u know (or udon't...) this tv's cost a furtune! in all the rest of the world, USA is the only place it cost less, and I say less , because the majority of people in the US DON"T have HDTV!

This is driving me nuts. After spending so much time stating how the PS2 is better, then you say "but even if it isn't, next gen is diffrent story"

All I AM SAYING (AND I DO IT IN CAPS LOCK CUZ I C U HAVE PROBLEM TO UNDERSTAND WHEN ITS IN NORMAL FONT .. ) IS THAT YOU CAN BET THAT THE NEXT (READ AGAIN NEXT! ) SYSTEM WILL BE PS, BECAUSE IT"S MUCH MORE EASY TO TRUST ON A SYSTEM THAT CAN LAST SIX YEARS RATHER THEN TWO!

In the hole I live in this tv's cost much less then other holes ...places u don't klnow probebly, some of them called paris,,,other london, WAKE UP MAN! USA isn't the only place in the world as u know (or udon't...) this tv's cost a furtune! in all the rest of the world, USA is the only place it cost less, and I say less , because the majority of people in the US DON"T have HDTV!
    I'm assuming this is some sort of retort or reply, but who knows...this must be how they talk over at PS2ADDICT??

All I AM SAYING (AND I DO IT IN CAPS LOCK CUZ I C U HAVE PROBLEM TO UNDERSTAND WHEN ITS IN NORMAL FONT ..
    It's not going to matter if it's in CAPS or BOLD or Italics, because whatever form of b@st@rdized ??english?? you're speaking, I HAV PROBLIM TO NO WAT U SAY...4....2.....ME????

Quote Originally Posted by odpr

All I AM SAYING (AND I DO IT IN CAPS LOCK CUZ I C U HAVE PROBLEM TO UNDERSTAND WHEN ITS IN NORMAL FONT .. ) IS THAT YOU CAN BET THAT THE NEXT (READ AGAIN NEXT! ) SYSTEM WILL BE PS, BECAUSE IT"S MUCH MORE EASY TO TRUST ON A SYSTEM THAT CAN LAST SIX YEARS RATHER THEN TWO!
    PS2 2000 - 2005/6
    Xbox 2001 - 2005/6

so even if xbox came out in 2005 it would have at least 4 years, not 2

I don't get it..
    people here, and also microsoft say that next year they going to release it..

so if u calculate it's four years,, and it seems that microsoft and the press already talking on thier next system while playstation don't even hint on the next gen console..
    so the thing is that people don't buy xbox because they hear that next year something new will come..

xbox is the best its just added ea games...its now unstoppable...better graphics....better gameplay..better everything.... xbox is the is god of all systems....Ps2 can touch xbox...

Halo 2 is Noobified

Ok, first off I would like to say that I did not read all these posts as some were huge so if any of this is a repeat....oops. I have a PS2 and was a big PS2 fan till recently. First off, they are not going to support the HDD as much as they said they were going too. The media player and demos were not included with the FFXI/HDD like they said they would and they did not say they were removed. Before I get flamed for spending $100 on a useless add on I did not buy it. I beta tested FFXI/HDD so for returning my beta by a set date Sony sent me the retail FFXI/HDD for Free. I think that $12.95 a month for a game is way too much green to play one game online. Sony is talking about charging to play games online by making a system similar to Live. They are just doing a lot of lying right now and I don't like being lied too. For these reasons I am supporting the Xbox and the Gamecube (I know what your thinking but I like the GC) more then the PS2.

I brung my xbox to school today and alot of people where saying damn i want an xbox its just they bought the ps2 since it came out first. Its abviouse that xbox would have way greater sales if it came out before ps2.

I own all three.. Xbox is the best.. I just got a ps2 with FFXI and i have to say it's pretty addictive.. miss the voice chat but still lots a fun.

Halo 2 is Noobified

Well, if you play FFXI with friends that have Live just use the chat in the Live dashboard while you play FFXI and you have voice chat.

Thread Information