Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dirty disc error

Default dirty disc error

I've been getting this with rainbow six 3 and sof 2. I'm getting soo pissed off cause I dont do anything to my discs and some of them look scratched up. I remember casper telling me to clean the lens off and I think I know where it is and I rubbed a cotton swab in there but I don't know if I did anything. I dont know what to do and before I buy a $30 disc cleaner I wanna know if it works. -thanks

edited:basically I stop playing a game for a while, try to play it again and it gives me a dirty disc error. I played sp pt for a while then I tried to play rainbow six 3 again, said I had a dirty disc. The last time I played sof 2 it was fine, now it gives me a dirty disc error all the time.
    Last edited by Butterz; 06-11-2004 at 12:58 PM.
    Hidden Content
    thanks to lax_defense for the sig

That cleaner probably will not help you.

How long have you had your Xbox?

So I'm guessing your drive is a thompson?

I tried getting to my eye with a q-tip when my Xbox wouldnt play anything... I couldnt reach it, I kept swabbing the round thing that spins the disc. To clean my eye I had to take my xbox apart and then take the DVD apart. Little rubbing alcohol for the eye on the tip of a Q-tip and it works like new now!

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidX
    I tried getting to my eye with a q-tip when my Xbox wouldnt play anything... I couldnt reach it, I kept swabbing the round thing that spins the disc. To clean my eye I had to take my xbox apart and then take the DVD apart. Little rubbing alcohol for the eye on the tip of a Q-tip and it works like new now!
    ok cool I'm going to try that.

edited:how did you get that open?
    Last edited by Butterz; 06-11-2004 at 01:13 PM.
    Hidden Content

I'm so ****ing pissed off right now I wanna ****ing slam my xbox through a window. My friend said that those disc cleaners worked, so I used it thinking that maybe my xbox just wasn't working because of the slightest scratch, WRONG!!!!@ I ****ing used it like 3 times and it is still giving me the dirty mother****ing disc error. Why the **** cant anybody make a good product. I have used the thing for about a year and all of a sudden it is just giving up on rainbow and sof 2, with no scratches on it. I tried reaching in with a q-tip to clean the lens, don't know what the **** happened but it didn't do anything. I couldn't unscrew it because these dumb mother****ers made it so you can't just open it with a normal screwdriver. I'm about ready to buy a ****ing PS2.
    Hidden Content

eh i wouldint ps2 is way slower then xbox man

besides ps2+xbox=same price 150/150 for both of them.....

just buy a new xbox seee if u can get a samsung dvd drive so u wont have to worry

Quote Originally Posted by Butterz
    ok cool I'm going to try that.

edited:how did you get that open?
    I assume you mean the Xbox. There are screws under each of the pads on the bottom and one under each of the stickers. Total of 6 screws. Once you get them out the case will come off by pulling upwards.

just go buy a new xbox thats what i did

Someone asked you if you have a thompson drive, first answer this then we'll take it from there.

Release The First Skill Shadow20002's Avatar

Clean it frist then...
    Back into the world of gaming.

I think I can clean it out when I go back to Ohio but my disc drive doesn't look modded, doesn't look like it has the extension thingy. I dont know if anyone knows what that means but I'm not sure what it is (I don't know if it is a Thompson). We have the right tools in Ohio to get it opened. I'm just pissed cause everybody on my friends list plays rainbow and it just starting doing that a month ago. I remember I put some stupid sticker not near the fan but on those vent things, maybe that has something to do with it. It is off now though.
    Hidden Content

thompson has a weird looking U shape in the middle
    philips has a lightbulb shape in the middle
    samsung has 2 holes at the top of the cd rom

Lets go Canes/ Marlins! AlBoogy's Avatar

Butterz, I had the same problem with my first xbox. It started out with a few dde here and there. It just got worse and worse as time went by. I eventually had to trade it in for a new one. If you can trade it in somehow do it asap as its only going to get worse (assuming you have the same problem I did)

Thank you to Caged Soul for the Sig! Hidden Content

Hippie kicking champion TuffEagle88's Avatar

I get dirty/damaged disk errors all the time with Morrowind:GOTY, but it doesn't do it with any other game, and everyone I've talked to has had problems with Morrowind, freezing, and errors, so its probably not my lense.

P.S.-I've got a Thompson, so don't be knockin 'em.
    Hidden Content
    thanks to lax_defense for the siggy!
    "We go feet first!"

Its my fault I'm a ****ing idiot. I have a Phillips but the reason I think this is happening is because I just found an atari sticker and for some stupid reason I put it on the side vents. lol, I don't know if thats the reason but it started to happen once I did that and my discs are fine. It only does that with 2 games, rest are fine. If I notice that it continues doing that I'm trading it.
    Hidden Content

MaxPain

Right.. I get alot of DDE's . So today I took it apart. and took the drives out. took the dvd drive apart and cleaned the lens with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol. Didn't help it at all. Even tho the xbox is my favorite system. out of all I think it is the LEAST dependable.. I got mine launch. nov. 2001.

why should I have to go buy another, I shelled out $500 on launch day... damn thompson drives suck!!

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPain
    Right.. I get alot of DDE's . So today I took it apart. and took the drives out. took the dvd drive apart and cleaned the lens with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol. Didn't help it at all. Even tho the xbox is my favorite system. out of all I think it is the LEAST dependable.. I got mine launch. nov. 2001.

why should I have to go buy another, I shelled out $500 on launch day... damn thompson drives suck!!
    oh, damn. I think I got the lense but I still wanna open it up. Maybe there is just soo much dust in theresomething else is causing it.
    Hidden Content

Hippie kicking champion TuffEagle88's Avatar

I know that there has to be tons of dust inside of mine, but if I open it I know I'll end up breaking something.
    Hidden Content
    thanks to lax_defense for the siggy!
    "We go feet first!"

I wouldent mess with a disc cleaner.
    I've got a thompson,had the same problem,the disc cleaner actually made it worse.
    Opening up the box and manually cleaning the eye worked for me.

Thread Information