Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dirty Disk Error

Default Dirty Disk Error

I get the DDE a lot on my xbox. I have not got GTA 3 or vice city to work for a few months now, and only about half the dvds i try a cually work. Does anyone else have this problem and can i fix it without buying a new xbox.
    The next sentance is true. The previous sentance is false.

Games I Own: Halo, Ninja Gaiden, KOTOR, Grand Theft auto DP, Crimson Skies, Unreal Championship, Rainbow six 3, Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell, Brute Force, Prince of Persia, Mechassualt, 007 Nightfire, JSRF, Sega GT 2002, Tony Hawk 4, Morrowind, Fuzion Frenzy, Rallysport Challenge 2, ESPN NFL 2K5

Looks like time for a new one. But try blowing air out and getting a lens cleaner. but fo your having that much trouble with alot of dvd/games, doesnt look good.
    Executive Editor
    Xboxaddict.com

two words: extended warranty

I wouldn't advise using a can of dry air, as it's just going to blow around the dust in there anyways, unless you open it up and then spray the air.

Get a Q-tip and rub the end of it inside the disk tray on top of the laser - make sure to use a dry one, as you don't want to screw with rubbing alcohol or anything else messing with the laser.

Good luck, but it should do the trick.

it still does not work, i guess i wont be playing GTA anytime soon

Games I Own: Halo, Ninja Gaiden, KOTOR, Grand Theft auto DP, Crimson Skies, Unreal Championship, Rainbow six 3, Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell, Brute Force, Prince of Persia, Mechassualt, 007 Nightfire, JSRF, Sega GT 2002, Tony Hawk 4, Morrowind, Fuzion Frenzy, Rallysport Challenge 2, ESPN NFL 2K5

"shut the f**k up donnie" TheWheelMan's Avatar

Casper explain just a tad better would you rub with a q-tip im having a few problems with my xbox do you mean you open up the disk tray and just kinda fish around and hope you rub the laser?
    My Games - Grand theft auto: San Andreas, Thief: Deadly Shadows, The Punisher, Mercenaries, Jade Empire, Splinter cell: Pandora Tomorrow, Splinter cell: Chaos Theory, Operation Flashpoint: Elite, Need For Speed: Most Wanted, Psi Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy, Phantom Crash, Shenmue 2, Beyond Good and Evil, Far Cry Instincts, Breakdown, The Warriors, Chronicles of Ridd.ick: Escape from Butcher Bay, Tenchu: Return from darkness, Jaws Unleashed, Driver: Parellel Lines, Gladius, Just Cause, Indigo Prophecy, Flatout 2, Oddworld: Strangers Wrath, Urban Chaos: Riot Response, Men of Valor, Advent Rising, Otogi: Myth of demons

Quote Originally Posted by TheWheelMan
    Casper explain just a tad better would you rub with a q-tip im having a few problems with my xbox do you mean you open up the disk tray and just kinda fish around and hope you rub the laser?
    I went side to side with mine and put pressure down on it so I knew I was hitting stuff. When I took it back out, the Qtip was covered with dust, I was shocked.

Give me a few and I'll see if I can find a pic showing where the laser is more precisely.

Approximate pic of where the laser is in the drive

Unfortunatly there isn't much you can do, it normally isn't because the its the usually the part that moves the laser to read the disk. You can always get another drive off of fleabay of *link removed due to mod chips being there* I have never done business with the link I provided. I don't know anything about there reliability. Good Luck, I know it sucks first hand.

....oh you can just change the laser and moving part, but you need to have some type of experience.
    Last edited by Casper-XBA; 07-02-2004 at 12:08 PM.

Use this technique at your own discretion. Opening up the Xbox totally voids your warranty.

Cleaning your Xbox DVD drive

If you are getting constant dirty disk errors, what do you have to loose, give this a try. The majority of the drives are not really dirty cleaning it will not fix the problem, they are getting out of adjustment or just getting weak. Try not to get your hopes up, too much sometimes you will be improving a DVD from constant errors to less frequent glitching and pausing during movies and games. But I guess that is better than nothing.

See disassembly procedure here for details on how to get at your Xbox DVD drive.

Necessary tools:
    Torx #10
    Philips #1
    Q-Tips
    Lens Cleaner
    Compressed air

Helpful tools:
    Magnetized Philips #1 or screw grabber

Words of advice before we begin, leave the small ribbon cables that connect components within the drive alone. If you feel you must disconnect and reconnect a few while you are in there, note that there is a brown wedge in each of the sockets that needs to be pulled out to allow the ribbon to be released.

There are four screws that need to be removed. Two in the rear

and two in the top, mid drive.

Remove all four screws, the ones mid drive are a little hard to get out, screw grabber makes it easy, shaking the drive upside down works too.

Remove the bottom tray first, flip the drive so the bottom is facing up. You need to pull the metal tab in the back over the IDE connector and then it will then slip off. Pull out then up.

Now remove the top, you have to push in two catches near the front on either side of the drive to allow you to tip up the front of the top panel like this

Now you have access to both the lens.

Blast the optics with canned air, then continue on to the blast the rest of the DVD chassis trying to blow the remainder of the dust away from the optics. Using a Q-tip, clean the mirror and the lens with a high quality lens cleaner. I like to use anti static lens cleaner but any glass cleaner should work, I have even heard of plain alcohol being used. The goal is to leave a streak free finish and use one end of the wetted q-tip to clean an the other to dry. BE CAREFUL NOT TO SCRATCH THE MIRROR

One DVD in my collection had a single fiber from cloth on the outside of the mirror, this seemed to be the major cause of the problem but the drive still suffers from occasional errors.

UPDATED 8/28/03 Thanks CPU64!
    "Here's a picture I just made showing all the parts involved in directing the
    laser to the disc and back. Here you'll see that just cleaning the top lens
    and the bottom mirror isn't really enough.

This is the lens piece without the top lens section. In total, there are 11
    sections in that little piece that need to be cleaned to bring the drive back
    to full potential.

Also notice in the picture the SENSOR is detached from the main body. The
    little opening in between the sensor and the last focus lens (bottom left) is the
    most important place to be cleaned and can easily be done with compressed
    air."

Your best bet would be to phone MS tech support to see if you are still under warranty.

Also make sure your Xbox is not in a highly dusty/dirty area.
    Last edited by Chr0nik; 07-02-2004 at 12:35 PM.

is it under warranty? if not you can still buy an extended warranty. it doesnt matter if it isnt currently covered or not. call them up, ask about an extended warranty...i should be $26 for one year. then wait 2 weeks or so and call them up and tell them whats wrong with it...they'll send you a box to ship it in..and within about 5 days, you'll have it back..in fine working condition

provided that you havent opened the case

I tryed the Q-tip thing and now GTA 3 works but vice vity still doesnt work, i also just descovered that rainbow six three doesnt work either. THe warranty is for 2 years and costs 49.90 so i think i am just going to keep my xbox and hope it lasts until xbox 2. i hope xbox 2 is BC so i can play my games i bought.

Quote Originally Posted by N1ghtM4r3
    I tryed the Q-tip thing and now GTA 3 works but vice vity still doesnt work, i also just descovered that rainbow six three doesnt work either. THe warranty is for 2 years and costs 49.90 so i think i am just going to keep my xbox and hope it lasts until xbox 2. i hope xbox 2 is BC so i can play my games i bought.
    Get the warranty now - report it broken in 2 weeks and you should be fine. Most EB Games or Gamestop will take it back as a return and give you $100 for it as long as it turns on and plays one game - good luck.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

Damn, Chr0nik! If there was still rep points here, you'd definately get one for that post!

If only they only put Samsungs in them all.

I frag kane mason twice. trabucles's Avatar

I had exactly the same problem, first I call to support but they told me they could only help me if i had warranty, I didnt extend my warranty so support didnt help me.

Instead i bought a DVD lens Cleaner and it worked well like 4 months, now it started doing the same and I guess now is time to get a new one, but i better wait for xbox 2.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content I donĀ“t want remakes of old maps in that game and I wont pay for them.

Wondering Around

your gonna be waiting for probably close to 18 months or longer for xbox 2, figure you can wait that long?

"shut the f**k up donnie" TheWheelMan's Avatar

ya casper i took a q-tip and rubbed abit in the disktray but im not sure if i was hitting the laser or not i did get abit of dust out but ya im not sure
    My Games - Grand theft auto: San Andreas, Thief: Deadly Shadows, The Punisher, Mercenaries, Jade Empire, Splinter cell: Pandora Tomorrow, Splinter cell: Chaos Theory, Operation Flashpoint: Elite, Need For Speed: Most Wanted, Psi Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy, Phantom Crash, Shenmue 2, Beyond Good and Evil, Far Cry Instincts, Breakdown, The Warriors, Chronicles of Ridd.ick: Escape from Butcher Bay, Tenchu: Return from darkness, Jaws Unleashed, Driver: Parellel Lines, Gladius, Just Cause, Indigo Prophecy, Flatout 2, Oddworld: Strangers Wrath, Urban Chaos: Riot Response, Men of Valor, Advent Rising, Otogi: Myth of demons

The Game Is Not Over!!! Nato King's Avatar

I remember I use to get that alot with my xbox I have now. So I called it in to there help desk and they gave me a code to restart my xbox and after that I never had a problem with it snice than. You should call them. doesn't hurt to try.

In Amber Clad

Quote Originally Posted by Casper-XBA
    Approximate pic of where the laser is in the drive
    so thats what the bottom of the Xbox looks like....

Sounds like a lot of work. Only time i usually get the DDE is on XBC, but thats fixable. Luckily I have a samsung drive.

Thread Information