Thread: innovation?

Default innovation?

here are my thoughts on the gaming industry atm...

since everyone is trying to be innovative in the game industry, we get all these new types of games.... but since almost avery game claims to be innovative in some way (yes, i am exaggerating), wouldn't it not be fresh and original to be fresh and original... couldn't you just work on something that's already been done (and effectively, i might add), and improve upon it to make it something great, yet maybe not innovative... wouldn't that be original and fresh????

i really dont know what i'm talking about here, so don't knock me, i'm just trying to start a conversation...

I dont really think there is a lot innovation in the game industy. Look at how many GTA clones there are. True Crime, Driv3r, Destroy All Humans (looks inovative but its still GTA-esque), 50 To Life, and many more to come. The problem is the publishers. Most dont want to take risks on un-proven types of games or franchises. Thats why we have 30 different versions of "The Sims", and endless supply of WWII shooters, and GTA-style everything.

Lets go Canes/ Marlins! AlBoogy's Avatar

Fact is most companies cant afford to be innovative because its to much of a risk. Imagine you work at Bungie and you have a chance to make a new game that no ones ever heard of orrrrrrr Halo 2. Which one would you make?

Thank you to Caged Soul for the Sig! Hidden Content

you make good points.... i was just throwing a random thought onto the table....

Youre right though. Look at some of the innovative games that were coming to xbox. My examples are: Psychonauts, Oddworld Stranger and True Fantasy Live Online. What happened to all those titles?

Oddworld Stranger is Coming Spring 2005 check the xbox addict news Love oddworld games. Psychonauts is looking for a NEW publisher =/. I want that game.

But what Im saying is that it was an XBox exclusive until they scrapped it. They should have continued supporting Oddworld inhabitants and kept it exclusive.

Fable is REALLY INNOVATIE GAME finnaly something NEW! Fable gonna own cause of its Innovation and great ideas.

blinx was inovative in that you could stop time and rewind and stuff

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidX
    Look at how many GTA clones there are. True Crime, Driv3r, Destroy All Humans (looks inovative but its still GTA-esque), 50 To Life, and many more to come.
    Sorry, but Driver 2 did all that before GTA :P
    Executive Editor
    Xboxaddict.com

To Hell with Having Fun Darkside's Avatar

I'm pretty sure GTA came before Driver

even if it was topdown view

its the same game
    The media needs another blackout.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

I think that's why Halo was such a huge hit...eventhough it is an FPS, it single handedly stepped up the benchmark for the specific genre while incorporating an epic universe and immersive storyline.

Voodoo Vince is a good example for being original. It's a platformer...yes, however, to kill your enemies, you actually have to injur yourself! Feel his pain

Thread Information