Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FPSs in a post-Halo 2 World

Default FPSs in a post-Halo 2 World

Taking for granted that Halo 2 will be awesome, one has to wonder what will become of all the other Xbox FPSs once Halo 2 comes out. How long will it be before there's even market for other FPSs again? I mean it's kind of hard to sell us even a Cadillac of video games if we already have Rolls-Royce's. What about the FPSs to be released after 11/9/04? Do even the best of them have a hope of competing against the combined strength of Mastercheif and Xbox Live?

How will the FPS world be different after 11/9/04?

Starving College Student

it will be just fine. doom3 and half life 2 and far cry and stalker and unreal 3 and battlefield 2 are more than ready to compete with halo 2.

on xbox though, idunno. republic commando looks nice.

but contrary to popular belief, halo 2 is not the only big game coming out soon.
    Official Turtle of XBA

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

they said halo 2 has already gotten 700 thousand copies preordered in my paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Koopa
    it will be just fine. doom3 and half life 2 and far cry and stalker and unreal 3 and battlefield 2 are more than ready to compete with halo 2.

but contrary to popular belief, halo 2 is not the only big game coming out soon.
    Really the only FPS that can compete from that list is Half-Life 2 IMO.

I think after Halo 2 there will be a flood of "Halo 2 killers" that all fall short. To me Halo 2 looks like the peak of first person shooters this generation. Halo 2 will be de-throned in like 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Koopa
    No it looks ****ing awsome. But how many people will buy it every one of my friends thought it sounded good untill they heard starwars then it was shot down. Half life 2 will compete with it but I dont know about how well it will do.

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidX
    Really the only FPS that can compete from that list is Half-Life 2 IMO.

I think after Halo 2 there will be a flood of "Halo 2 killers" that all fall short. To me Halo 2 looks like the peak of first person shooters this generation. Halo 2 will be de-throned in like 5 years.
    5 years? You're kidding me, right? I mean, you have to look at it that probably about 50% of XBox owners are this die-hard about Halo, hence why they own an XBox. But for me, I look at games like Ghost Recon 2, Half Life 2, Doom 3, and other shooters that aren't so run-and-gun'ish which I know I'll be 'flamed' for...but that's just my type of games.

I will take a strong tactical shooter that requires pin-pointing of a strategy and tactics over a game that is a run around, blast em up chaos scene anyday - but that's just me I bet.

Don't get me wrong, Halo is a fantastic game, and I still play it to this day. I am sure that Halo 2 will be an icon in the multi-player world for a long time, not to mention having it's single player campaign played to hell and back.

As wonderful as Halo is, on occsasion I need/want something different. I played Halo religiously until Counter-Strike, and Rainbow Six 3 hit the shelves. Now, by no means am I saying that those two games are better than Halo, but I do have alot more fun with them. Yes, it took the aspect of multi-player, and XBox LIVE to pull me off games like Halo, but they still managed to do it.

I predict that upon Halo 2's release, Ubi is going to be pummeled for a while, in terms of "Most popular online game". However, Ubi is not exactly stupid, and I assume they will have something up their sleeve. I use Ubi Soft, because as we know, Rainbow Six 3 has taken the LIVE world by storm, and I figure it's safe to assume they will again. Do I think Black Arrow is going to be a chock under Halo 2's wheel? Hell no. But, I do think something will be in less than 5 years. Be interesting to wach how it unfolds.
    Hidden Content

All the cool sigs were taken.

Starving College Student

Quote Originally Posted by TOTTEN
    No it looks ****ing awsome. But how many people will buy it every one of my friends thought it sounded good untill they heard starwars then it was shot down. Half life 2 will compete with it but I dont know about how well it will do.
    on xbox maybe not as well, but i'm sure it will do veerryy well on pc.
    Official Turtle of XBA

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Casper-XBA
    5 years? You're kidding me, right? I mean, you have to look at it that probably about 50% of XBox owners are this die-hard about Halo, hence why they own an XBox. But for me, I look at games like Ghost Recon 2, Half Life 2, Doom 3, and other shooters that aren't so run-and-gun'ish which I know I'll be 'flamed' for...but that's just my type of games.

I will take a strong tactical shooter that requires pin-pointing of a strategy and tactics over a game that is a run around, blast em up chaos scene anyday - but that's just me I bet.
    But dude you are the suxoRz!!lolo11eleven1! at RS3

I used to post here a lot.

Chancellor Of Dark Enemy # 1 Stunner's Avatar

halo 2 will keep its reing as long as the online doesnt gget hacked or cheated real easy, i have faith in bungie in this..

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

That's because Halo requires fast reflexes and true gaming ability...not hiding and camping all day just to pop someone in the head when they decide to walk after camping for 5 minutes

I've never really played Half-Life or the Doom series, so I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't think you could group these games with GR as a tactical shooter. In fact, I'd always assumed that they were even more "run 'n gun" than Halo...

If my assumptions about this are wrong, that would drastically change my thoughts about these upcoming games.

I still think Halo 2 will be the undisputed champion for the entire duration of the Xbox console. The only way this won't be the case is, as Stunna said, if cheating and hacking become rampant. But unless there's some irreperable glitch (like the lean glitch in RS3), I'd trust Bunjie to resolve those issues.

Well if you look at FPS games that came out after Halo Combat Evolved, you can see that they use alot of ideas from that game. Which, in the end made FPS Potentially better than they would be without those ideas in their mind. Even if some people incouraged developers to be original.

Halo 2 is no doubt going to have the same outcome, six months down the line after its release we will be seeing and playing alot of games that remind us of it.
    Sure at first it will be hard to compete with this killer game but my guess is nearly all Xbox/FPS owners will have Halo 2 after six months or so. Which will make it easier for other developers to drop in with their new ideas and make some money.

Basicaly, it can only lead to good things in my opinion.

The 'A' is for 'go bAlls' thrAsher's Avatar

If only Halo 2 WOULD lessen the number of FPS's being developed for the Xbox!!! I'd love it.

Hopefully Fable shows MS that RPG's can be both good sellers, as well as genre-busters, on the Xbox and we get a whole slew of Japanese RPG ripoffs and Fallout wannabes. I'd be psyched to no end...

Hidden Content

@~~'~~DZ~~'~~@

SoundX and thrAsher both make good points. I agree that Halo 2 will have a distince influence on FPS's to follow, but as thrAsher says, it could also crowd out the current and future competition and cause developers and publishers to look to other genres. By the same token, Fable could also crowd the RPG market.

Only time will tell what ramifications these groundbreaking games will have.

I think it will only make people work harder to make better FPS games which will benefit us. Halo set the bar really high maybe even too high for Halo 2 but we have to wait and see.

This is MY HOME

Lets be honest here, six months after Halo, how many people went out and bought Red Faction 2 hoping for another Halo?

Another point I want to make. I find that when I complete a fantastic game like Halo for instance, it fuels my desire for more games of that genre and more games that play like that. So really, when Halo 2 has died down a bit, developers will have a key moment to swoop in and start handing out the FPS goods and get alot of sales.

However crappy they turn out to be... *throws red faction 2 against the wall*
    Last edited by SoundX; 08-02-2004 at 03:30 PM.

Halo2 is gonna be the top game for a hell of a long time...i think that itll be the best game from the day it comes out to the day halo3 is gonna be released but thats my opinion...im lookin forward to all the games comin out after halo2 cause they will all try to live up to that standard...some games that i think can compete with halo2 are HL2 Doom3 and maybe GR2 as of right now...will they be better??? probably not but that can compete with halo2 cause of the fan base they have...a game like fable is high up there but i have a gut feeling itll be nothing compared to H2...an rpg i thought could have competed with H2 was TFLO but that got canceled...the gaming world is gonna be changed extremly after Halo2 cause delvelopers know that if they cant make a game that even equals that of halo they will not sell but a couple thousand games.

skorp

Smile

I think the only games that will be in the same category as Halo2 (FPS)will just probably be Half-Life2 and DOOM3 in graphics, gameplay, sound (effects/soundtrack), story, etc... If not as close maybe about the same... Who knows?!

These games are in a league of there own supposedly. The only way gamers are gonna be completely satisfied with new games coming out after these three are released is if they make them just as good or better, please. [hoping ]

I'm just glad all three will be out for the Xbox/PC....

Doom 3 looks great. However, I don't think it's gonna be Halo 2.

This is MY HOME

Thread Information