Thread: I never met the dead man

Los Angeles Int'l Airport lax_defense's Avatar

Default I never met the dead man

Man Presumed Dead Calls Daughter at Wake

TORONTO (AP) - Dane Squires was late for his own funeral. At least it seemed that way after people gathered Thursday at a Toronto funeral home to mourn the retired welder from Newfoundland whom they believed had been hit by a train.

Relatives of Squires were watching the casket being loaded into a hearse when his daughter Trina was told she had an important phone call.

Her father was on the other end.

``She totally, totally lost it,'' Squires' brother Gilbert said.

``She said, `There's a ghost talking to me on the phone. Please somebody try to make sense out of this because I'm losing my mind.'''

Squires was initially identified as the man who was hit by a commuter train last Friday night. The body was badly mutilated in the accident but still fit Squires' description, police said. Authorities haven't yet identified the victim.

``He went to my sister's house and whoever answered the door fainted,'' said Gilbert Squires, noting his brother didn't become aware of the confusion until he read his own obituary in the newspaper.

Squire's sister identified the dead man as her brother after viewing the body at the coroner's office this week, police said.

09/17/04 17:28
    Linky

Whoa...that must have been awkward. Crazy Canucks.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

Man, that would be wierd to see your own funeral...it would be great to critique it

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus
    Man, that would be wierd to see your own funeral...it would be great to critique it

No doubt. "you bought me that piece of **** coffin?? That's my hallowed eternal resting casket for christ's sake! And WTF is up with effigy? Where's this funeral coordinator... need to slap them."

Renegade of funk

So I take it DNA testing, dental records.. search for a wallet on the body.. stuff like that hasn't made it to Toronto? Maybe they don't show CSI on TV there.

Perhaps the biggest issue here is: Where in the hell was the father between the time of the accident and the funeral? At best, we're looking at a few days, add a couple of more because they couldn't ID the body initially.

Nope we have a great system here.. prehaps the body had no ID on him, and he matched the description, so they didn't bother to do a DNA test. Some people just look alike, especially after getting smacked by a train.

The real guy could have been out of town, or on a fishing trip and wwas drunk for a couple days, that's common in Toronto.

I used to post here a lot.

Official Avs Fan of XBA kornavs19's Avatar

Yea thats crazy...Id be freakin out...Definately could make for a movie...
    So the family had to pay for the funeral for some guy they dont know, and the guy who died, his family won't know about it until they do testing and then its another funeral ??

I read the title, and could've sworn it would be about Family Guy...

(2nd episode of Family Guy is called 'I Never Met the Dead Man')

Shocked Dead Man Attends Own Wake.....

Mourners who gathered in Toronto Thursday to remember Newfoundland man Dane Squires were completely shocked when Squires himself walked into the family wake.

Squires was believed to have been hit and killed by a GO commuter train in the east end of Toronto last Friday night. His own sister, Diana, had identified his body at the coroner's office this week.

As Squires' relatives were leaving his funeral at an east-end Toronto funeral home Thursday, the funeral director came running out to say there was an important phone call.

"She ran out and she said, 'It's him. I talked to him.' And I just about fainted," his daughter Trina Squires told CFTO News. "I was like, 'That can't be for me. I can't handle this.'"

Squires reportedly discovered the problem when he read his own obituary in the newspaper.

After phoning the funeral home, Squires went to his sister's home in the city's east end where mourners were gathering for a wake, said a friend who was in attendance but refused to give his name.

A memorial service that was to be held next week in St. John's has now been cancelled.

Now police are looking to identify the real victim.

Toronto police Det.-Const. Dave Stirling says he doesn't know how the sister could have gotten the identification wrong, though noted the body was badly mutilated.

"There must have been a likeness," Stirling told the Sun. "It certainly is an unfortunate circumstance. It's certainly a shock."

Squires' sister Diana told CFTO that the victim looked "identical to my brother."

The family said Squires had lived on the streets for 20 years.

Coroner Dr. Barry McLellan said having a family member mistake a body is "an extremely rare occurrence."

"The relative was quite confident as to the identification," he said.

Police are once again seeking the public's assistance in identifying the victim. He is described as: white, 6 feet tall, 180 lbs., 40–45, receding short brownish red hair and beard.
    Imagine reading your own obituary...Pretty bad when your own sister can't identify you.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Oh yes, it will be here
    Hidden Content quality="high" bgcolor="#000000" width="468" height="60" name="xad" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />

I heard about this on Sunday. I actually thought it was pretty funny.

4 days ago called, they want their thread back.

http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/sho...hlight=Squires

Now you've resorted to using that insult for the same thread...ok...

The thread was merged actually, pay attention

touche...

Thread Information