Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: There's something wrong with my xbox!

Cry There's something wrong with my xbox!

I don't know if anything is wrong with it or not, but it hasn't been working exactly how I would like it too lately. I keep getting a bunch of errors saying that the disk isn't the right kind, that it's not clean, etc. It's really weird because I keep my games clean and what is really ******* me off is when I get a new demo disk from OXM i'll put it in and get a message saying it isn't working i'll try again get another message. Try it another time it will actually start up then i'll watch a trailer...it crashes. It doesn't do it as much with my games. Still, though, I run into the same problems that I run into with the demo disk.

Please, help me and give me any suggestion because I want to know what's wrong.

Which xbox do you have, which version? I am no expert but there are some guys here who are really good. Welcome to the site!!!

This is MY HOME

Quote Originally Posted by t_howell
    Which xbox do you have, which version? I am no expert but there are some guys here who are really good. Welcome to the site!!!
    What do you mean what version? There's different versions? I got mine the christmas when it came out.

you probably got a thomson drive then

Echoing THowell, find out whether your dvd player is a samsung, Phillips, or Thomson...
    your options are to replace your dvd player or buy a new box...
    A cheaper alternative is to clean your xbox with some air and cover your box to minimize the dust buildup...
    Oh, and Welcome to XBA...
    Hidden Content
    SB XI,XV,XVIII CHAMPS!

Quote Originally Posted by tsrdawg
    Echoing THowell, find out whether your dvd player is a samsung, Phillips, or Thomson...
    your options are to replace your dvd player or buy a new box...
    A cheaper alternative is to clean your xbox with some air and cover your box to minimize the dust buildup...
    Oh, and Welcome to XBA...
    I'll try the clean it with air technique first and if that doesn't work i'll just go out and buy a new xbox.

Which Drive do you have? (via this pic)
    Executive Editor
    Xboxaddict.com

"shut the f**k up donnie" TheWheelMan's Avatar

cover the xbox with what a towel or something when your not using it??? it actually seems logical but couldnt that still be risky covering the xbox?
    My Games - Grand theft auto: San Andreas, Thief: Deadly Shadows, The Punisher, Mercenaries, Jade Empire, Splinter cell: Pandora Tomorrow, Splinter cell: Chaos Theory, Operation Flashpoint: Elite, Need For Speed: Most Wanted, Psi Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy, Phantom Crash, Shenmue 2, Beyond Good and Evil, Far Cry Instincts, Breakdown, The Warriors, Chronicles of Ridd.ick: Escape from Butcher Bay, Tenchu: Return from darkness, Jaws Unleashed, Driver: Parellel Lines, Gladius, Just Cause, Indigo Prophecy, Flatout 2, Oddworld: Strangers Wrath, Urban Chaos: Riot Response, Men of Valor, Advent Rising, Otogi: Myth of demons

A South Park Conservative Floodman's Avatar

Just a side question: Which version is supposedly the best, or longest lasting?

I think its the samsung

Quote Originally Posted by Variation
    Which Drive do you have? (via this pic)
    The Thomson drive is the one I have.

Since you got the Thompson you are in a pickle...the air will make it better for a bit but your Xbox won't last too much longer...especially since you have had it so long. If I were you I would go get a new Xbox...and quick because Halo 2 is coming SON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDovV RyDer
    Since you got the Thompson you are in a pickle...the air will make it better for a bit but your Xbox won't last too much longer...especially since you have had it so long. If I were you I would go get a new Xbox...and quick because Halo 2 is coming SON!!!
    Well...why wouldn't it last? And if Thompson drives suck so much why did Microsoft use them for the xbox? I would at least like my Xbox to last more than 5 years. Hell, I've played Ataris that can read video games better than my Xbox can.

Renegade of funk

Can your Xbox play regular games alright?

Here's the deal. Yes, there is a verified problem with the Thomson drives from the first run. Thomson drives that come out now are much better than the first run.

You can A) Call 1-800-4my-xbox and try to get it fixed.
    B) find a vendor that sells just the laser head for the Thomson drive and make the swap yourself
    C) Get a newer Xbox.

Maintenance such as the air dusting and using DVD cleaners do work but they only delay the inevitable in my opinion. I have a first run Xbox with the Thomson drive and it did throw me a lot of DDE's. Cleaning it seems to help and it did reduce the frequency of the DDE's but the still happen.

As for the OXM demo disc problems, I read awhile back that the demo discs leave a small file on your Xbox's hard drive. Almost like a cookie. It's viewable when you view the contents of your hard drive, such as going through your saved games.
    I had read that these things tend to stack up after awhile and cause conflicts with the demo discs as they accrue on your hard drive. Go in and delete them and see if that eases up on your demo disc play.

-----

A word about the laser head swap. You can't just change the entire unit out yourself. There is all kinds of embedded security coding to prevent that. But, I had seen on Ebay someone selling just the laser head piece that just screws and plugs in.
    This doesn't circumvent security since you are keeping the actual drive in and you can make the swap without actually getting into the Xbox Modding situation that's foribben to talk about here. From what I understand, it's actually the laser reader from the newest version of the Thomson drive and that single piece doesn't cause a conflict with the rest of the drive.

Keep in mind that opening your Xbox voids whatever warranty you have left including a store warranty should you had purchased that. Not only that but Microsoft won't deal with you if you opened your Xbox, decided that it wasn't going to happen, then called them on it. So choose your fate accordingly.

-----

Food for thought: There was a class action lawsuit involved with that faulty head thing but I don't have any details on that.
    Last edited by Reclaimer-XBA; 11-07-2004 at 10:56 PM.

Registered User dances with broom sticks's Avatar

If its just the OXM discs, wasn't there something about boiling the discs? I seem to remember people swearing that fixed problems. Do a search for that (on here, or on google) and read up about it. I never tried it (don't play oxm demos) so I can't say if it works or not.

I would suggest just replacing the DVD Drive. Not only is it cheaper than getting a whole new Xbox, but you can keep all your saved files and such.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

This happens quite often to people that have less than 10 posts here at XBoxAddict...

But, eh...welcome aboard anyhow

Quote Originally Posted by Xer0Mercy
    I would suggest just replacing the DVD Drive. Not only is it cheaper than getting a whole new Xbox, but you can keep all your saved files and such.
    I'll probably do that. Reclaimer, my Xbox games run fine I guess...I get a few DDEs every now and then, other than that they run good. Except for Morrowind GOTY. I always find my self wanting to beat the hell out of that game becuase of the errors. It's mostly demo disk that cause all the frustration, so I'll try to delete them off my harddrive and hope that it helps.

Thanks.

Does the new Crystal Xbox have a good drive? I've been tempted to buy one, but I won't be buying it if the DVD drive is crap.

batman46st

here u go friend and umm dont spray it with that air in a can thing cause i herd it does nothing but make things worst if u dont open ur box anyways here http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/xbox_dvd_repair.htm

Thread Information