Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EA and ESPN deal (merged)

Just stay on your grind DocHoliday78's Avatar

Default EA and ESPN deal (merged)

Electronic Arts, ESPN ink exclusive 15-year deal

[UPDATE] ESPN brand and programming to surface in EA sports titles on all platforms; Sega Sports and Visual Concepts thrown for a loss, again.
    Electronic Arts broke the calm of a national holiday today by announcing a licensing deal of epic proportions. For the next fifteen years, EA will be the sole licensee of the ESPN brand in the area of sports games, which will include console, handheld, PC, and wireless games.

Games with leverage the ESPN brand will make their way to retail sometime during calendar year 2006, "upon the conclusion of ESPN’s existing video game licensing commitments."

The news is the second blow to current ESPN license-holder Sega (and its Visual Concepts development studio). It recently lost the right to publish sports games using the NFL license when EA scooped that license up. Now, it loses the right to the ESPN brand as well.

In a statement released today, the world's largest game publisher said, "The relationship will include established EA SPORTS franchises--which will be enhanced by ESPN telecast, print and online content--as well as new sports games to be published by EA based on ESPN media properties."

Addressing ways EA intends to leverage not only ESPN programming but also technology, EA's vice president of marketing Frank Gibeau told GameSpot today, "When everything is online, and we’re going to be able to have live feeds, there's a lot of sports information content from ESPN that's really going to expand what EA Sports already does."

When asked to elaborate, Gibeau decline to go into specifics, but did say, "I think you can start to think about some of the core technology capabilities that are going to come online in the next few years with portability, wireless...you can think about the live feeds that can start to come in from ESPN inside of the games." For example, "being able to set rosters based on that night's rosters, brought to you by ESPN."

Gibeau also said the deal "goes upstream as well as downstream," suggesting ESPN will gain from the alliance as well. "Being able to use our technology to help illustrate games and analysis, being able to use some of their franchises with our games as programming opportunities [also] becomes part of this deal."

Gibeau seemed intent on dispelling chatter that has suggested the ESPN deal means a hasty departure from any future work with John Madden. "If you think about the deal, it’s not an inevitability that he goes away…I'm not sure where those stories are coming from," Gibeau said. "I think the simple fact is we've had a long-term, great relationship with John Madden. And he’s in our games next year."

The agreement announced today is for fifteen years "with an option to terminate after ten years under certain conditions," the statement said. The agreement gives the publisher "exclusive first rights" to all ESPN content for simulation sports games.

Elaborating on that first right option, Gibeau said, "With regards to the first right of refusal, all it means is that if ESPN has a program that we're not interested in making a video game about, they have the opportunity to be able to go and figure out how to produce it, without our participation." However, Gibeau added, "The likelihood of that occurring is very low."

While a fifteen-year term in the world of licensing is nothing new, it is unusual in the game space. "The term is really a signal and a commitment level between the two partners," Gibeau said today. "It's like saying we're going to get married without a pre-nup."

Watch for a complete interview with Frank Gibeau, and more on the EA/ESPN marriage, tomorrow in GameSpot News.
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/01...s_6116473.html

This is nuts, they are taking over everything man. Now with this 15 year espn deal, it done. They are officially unstopable................
    Last edited by Casper-XBA; 01-18-2005 at 11:17 AM.

Yeah...They make substandard games but they buy their way all over the marketplace so nobody else can compete.

This was just posted in the news by yours truly. It just happened today. It is a disaster of epic proportions. EA is teh monopoly. All they need now is Boardwalk.

This is MY HOME

Just stay on your grind DocHoliday78's Avatar

Yeah, i read it off of your post. T hizzle give the newsizzle. Atleast the NBA stayed true

EA=Cow Turd

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Willy-XBA Hidden Content
    2011 Stanley Cup Champions - Toronto Maple Leafs

Default Ea and espn deal

is that article true on the front page? thats loco if thats true

Sweet. It's too bad they have to wait to Madden 2007 to implement ESPN into the game, though.

I think Microsoft should shell out a few billion and buy EA out. They would get all these exclusive lisences to their future consoles. I swear EA is gonna own every publisher and License at the rate they are going. I HATE them. They better start putting out quailty games on all consoles! Poor Sega

Quote Originally Posted by laughs2907
    EA=Cow Turd
    or Elf Anus, whichever you prefer

WTH are you guys talking about?

EA purchasing the NFL Players rights?

EA just bought my dog and is now dating my girlfriend.
    RIP Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Duke-XBA
    EA just bought my dog and is now dating my girlfriend.
    Sounds like they killed two birds with ONE stone.

How did I not see that coming. CRAYMAN is t3h banned
    RIP Dave

Quote Originally Posted by wbio
    or Elf Anus, whichever you prefer
    Elf- anus?

This is MY HOME

I like EA, they should get bigger, create a larger monopoly, that way, when they control the prices, the product quality, and everything associate with that, I'm sure that as a responsible company, they'll never overprice their games, or ship a nonrefined game....Cause, we all know how dependable Windows is, look how responsible Microsoft has been, my computer only gets the BSOD one a week.

EDIT* not really, my PC kicks ass, prolly the fastest one in XBA....
    -=Rookie of the Year 2004=- -=Member of the year 2005=- -=Mod 2006-2007=- -=Banned and threatened with legal action 2008=-

Hidden Content

They are going to destroy the industry and it's our fault.

This is MY HOME

Sit down and Shut up!!!!! CharlieHustle's Avatar

I guess EA is gonna make us buy their games, huh?? If so, are they really that scared?? I hope sega sports still put out their sports titles, which will be quality for sure. Its sad, because the espn brand gave their games personalities, and i would like to see what they are gonna do without it. And EA will just mimic what sega has done with the espn logo.

omg this is so ****in gay

EA DOESNT EVEN NEED ESPN FOR MADDEN, MADDEN ALREADY RULES THE WORLD IN SALES

im gona miss the ESPN presentation in the sega basketball games, they were so much better than ea's peice if **** live
    Hidden Content

Sega spooked EA with that 19.99 deal and EA showed them. You gotta give them credit, one way to beat your competition is make sure you don't have any.

This is MY HOME

Multiple Personalities faceoff508's Avatar

This sucks. At least it will make Madden better.
    "Become Muslim and be saved. If not, accept protection from us and pay the tax. If not, I shall come against you with men who love death as you love to drink wine"

~Khalid ibn al-Walid (ra), Muslim General addressing the persian rulers 633 CE.

Thread Information