Thread: Need Help... about 4 36" HDTV's and a 100MBps d/up connection to the internet...

Default Need Help... about 4 36" HDTV's and a 100MBps d/up connection to the internet...

Hey everyone,

I need a little help. Tommorow (Friday), my friends and I are going to work to play Halo on Gamespy. Now there was alot of options.

1.) I could get a tv-2-VGA splitter, so we could play on a 80" Monitor.

2.) we could all play on 1 36" tv.

or (this is the option I really want to go with.)

3.) we could find a splitter somewhere, (I've been looking like crazy, and am probably using the wrong words) that splits the 4 1/4's onto 4 screens.

I will explain because it's kinda hard to understand.

When playing Halo Multiplayer with 4 people. the screen is split into 4 sections. Top left, Top Right, Bot left, Bot right.

What I am Looking for is a device that gets connected from the xbox, and Than connects to 4 Seperate TV's.

So essentially, the top left would be on 1 36" tv, the top right would be on Another 36" tv, and so on.

Does anyone know where I could find something like this?

THE REAL BOSS

Dont think thats possiable.

Actually it is possible. I dont know how it works, But if you notice if you ever go to like Circuit city or The Wiz youll see they have once main picture broken down into multiple Tv's (in most stores). I would suggest speaking with a employee there and they should help you out.

R.I.P.DZ
    Hidden Content

Yea, in the Best Buy that I am near, they have 16 Flat screens put together 4x4 to make 1 big screen.

For some reason I don't think the Best Buy Employees would know...

Default Correction - FYI

Supraman, just want to make a little correction.

Network cards are rated in MBps

Modems are used for Dialup, you cannot dialup with a NIC.

Therefore you cannot have a 100MBps Dialup connection.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

Supra...JJax had a brilliant idea simply by asking someone at Circuit City or Best Buy on how they split screens up like that. I could be possible to do it...I would think that the manager would be able to tell you and would know how it works.

Getting the equipment to split a video signal into a 4x4 matrix would cost more than just buying 4 seperate xboxes and hooking up to seperate tvs.

The best solution for you would be to use the 80" monitor, I'm assuming it is a projector? Get a component to vga breakout cable $20 and the HD AV Pack $20 and hook the xbox up to that. Then a split screen would be about the same as 4 36" tvs. Now this is assuming the 'monitor' you mention supports component input or 480p.

You got to be nuts to try and do the matrix thing.
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

I love the new System Link option ....I wish they made more games on the XBox...but, by no means am I geting tired of Halo! This will definately hold me over until Unreal Championship and Brute Force come out!!!

I'm also looking forward to getting a multi-player game that has all players on a single screen. Hunter: The Reckoning should satisfy my needs just fine

I don't know about you guys...ever since XBox's System Link technology became available to console gaming, I have grown tired of split screen gaming! I don't mind a two-way split...but, four really is horrible....unless, of course, you have an 80" screen! D a m n! That would be sweet

What I hate about split screen, even on a 110" screen is that for two players it splits it horizontally so you have a top and bottom screen. This sucks for widescreen tvs or screens because now you have a really thin but wide screen. It makes it look even smaller. Now if it had the option to split it vertically then I would have two 70"(52"x48") screens instead of two 26"x96" screens. Makes a huge difference. Game developers really need to add that option of where to put the split, especially now that widescreen tvs are becoming more popular and the xbox is trying to cater to these type of setups. (it should be anyway just by the hardware and design specs)

I'm with you Max in that I would rather have one person on the 110" screen and then using system link having the other person on the 27" tv.
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

Originally posted by Lynxfx
    What I hate about split screen, even on a 110" screen is that for two players it splits it horizontally so you have a top and bottom screen. This sucks for widescreen tvs or screens because now you have a really thin but wide screen. It makes it look even smaller. Now if it had the option to split it vertically then I would have two 70"(52"x48") screens instead of two 26"x96" screens. Makes a huge difference. Game developers really need to add that option of where to put the split, especially now that widescreen tvs are becoming more popular and the xbox is trying to cater to these type of setups. (it should be anyway just by the hardware and design specs)

I'm with you Max in that I would rather have one person on the 110" screen and then using system link having the other person on the 27" tv.
    Good points, Lynxfx...Also, no matter what size the screen is, the characters are still drawn to scale. As you know, it's not as if the viewing gets larger on a large screen...everything gets larger! So, this really bugs the crap out of me about split screen gaming no matter what size TV it's on...

I must admit, I have become a "spoiled brat", like all of us, due to the new System Link option for console gaming I don't feel guilty, though...someone should have done this long ago, if you ask me.

But, I really wish they would come up with a solution for System Link gaming that doesn't require multiple system and mutliple copies of games. I know that this is what Supra Man was looking for. It makes a lot of sense to me... They could easily add multiple connections on the back of the XBox for this...maybe for the next system since the work on the XBox is already done.

Yeah and not only are things still drawn to scale you lose resolution as well. So the more splits the fewer pixels you have for each screen.

Now if they split a widescreen down the center you would still keep the same horizontal resolution and you would only lose a little bit of the vertical. That wouldn't be so bad. Still not as good as seperate tvs.
    ---Hidden Content ---

The best solution for you would be to use the 80" monitor, I'm assuming it is a projector? Get a component to vga breakout cable $20 and the HD AV Pack $20 and hook the xbox up to that. Then a split screen would be about the same as 4 36" tvs. Now this is assuming the 'monitor' you mention supports component input or 480p.
    is the component to vga cable one that goes from the 3 color RCA red, yellow, white or is it something else and where would i find one? radio shack? would that allow me to go staright form monitor to Xbox?
    Hidden Content
    About the same amount of power as an xbox....

Originally posted by wizkid918

is the component to vga cable one that goes from the 3 color RCA red, yellow, white or is it something else and where would i find one? radio shack? would that allow me to go staright form monitor to Xbox?
    Component video cables have green, red, and blue connections. I'm not sure about the rest of what you are asking... I don't think they make a VGA adapter yet. Maybe a third party, but, I haven't seen one yet.

okay, so you buy the compnent to vga and the HD AV cables have the blue red and green, then the HD AV cables plug into the compnent to VGA cable and that goes to the monitor..? i think
    Hidden Content

okay, so you buy the compnent to vga and the HD AV cables have the blue red and green, then the HD AV cables plug into the compnent to VGA cable and that goes to the monitor..? i think
    Seems right...does anyone make a VGA adapter yet?

Redant is supposed to be having one but at lik-sang.com it keeps being pushed back
    Hidden Content

Redant is supposed to be having one but at lik-sang.com it keeps being pushed back
    Dude! That'll be sweet!

Edit: Oops, got Wizkid confused with the guy that started this thread.

Wizkid,

No the breakout cable will not work on a regular computer monitor. You can't buy this cable from radio shack or any store locally for that matter. It would have to be bought from an online store like www.a2zcables.com. It isn't a VGA converter so it wouldn't work on a computer monitor. But if it is a projector like mine that has a VGA input but also supports component video then it would work. For regular monitors you will have to wait for the VGA converter coming soon.

The first guy needs to give us more info on what his '80" monitor' is.
    Last edited by LynxFX-XBA; 02-14-2002 at 03:36 PM.
    ---Hidden Content ---

Hey everyone,

We played on the 80" monitor. Looked at the projector and it had an S-Video connection...so we went with that...I'll try to get a picture of it.

I would still like to try and split the connection onto 4 seperate screens though...

Oh, and the connection work is behind 2! firewalls. I could set up the DMZ host bnut that would expose us to hackers... don't know if we could do it...

Suck ass thing about it too, is that at DSLreports.com I tested it on an eastern server and I had 1.5 Mbytes Down, and 4.5 Mbytes Up... Talk about lag free 8 on 8... god it ****es me off.

So basically we just played 4 on 4's with sometimes a little lag and alot of times, alot of lag.

I'll try to get those pics in

Thread Information