Thread: S-Video or Component?

Question S-Video or Component?

Which is better, and why? S-Video, or component. Thanks.

Frostberg

component

Originally posted by Frostberg
    component
    Thanks, but why is that?

Frostberg

Heres a quick run down...
    Composite=1 yellow RCA connector. This has everything running out of one little cord. It leads to a bad picture because the colors are all screwy and look like VHS tape or something. The colors are just off and not crisp.
    S-Video=Pin connector. This at least splits up brightness and color and provided a better picture. It adds more vivid colors and improves every game.
    Component=3 RCA connectors. This splits up color 3 ways. Obviously this one is the best because it splits up colors the most and this lets you have a crystal clear picture because colors actually come to life more than you ever expected. Also this is the only way to have a HD picture. If you can understand how the more space to put through information, the better your results will be. With composite everything has to piggyback on that one little cable. With S-Video it is improved a little but Component blows em all out of the water.

Thanks. Appreciate it.

Frostberg

npnp...thats what were here for. Don't leave us now!

I bought both the S-video and the component video hookups (actually, my wife bought the S-video hookup). I noticed a bigger improvement going from S to component than I did going from composite to S.

Originally posted by mahalan
    I bought both the S-video and the component video hookups (actually, my wife bought the S-video hookup). I noticed a bigger improvement going from S to component than I did going from composite to S.
    Are you sure you don't mean "I noticed a bigger improvement going from COMPOSITE to S than I did going from S to COMPONENT"? Unless your talking about the progressive-scan output via the component.

I thought the new standard component (w/ digital comb filter) is better than S-video but the old kind (whatever it's called) is worse than S-Video. I may be on crack. Anyway I got tourqed when I do the S-video cable, it makes the jagged lines easy to see!!!

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

Unless you have a projection TV, an HDTV, or a Sony Wega, you won't have the ability to use Component cables, most likely. You won't see a huge difference between S-Video and Component video unless the screen is larger than a 27"...or a 32" for that matter.

But, you will see a DRAMATIC difference on an HDTV...I know this first hand...I recently bought one and I bought Component video cables and all I can say is:

Frostberg

Originally posted by AvedisZ
    I thought the new standard component (w/ digital comb filter) is better than S-video but the old kind (whatever it's called) is worse than S-Video. I may be on crack. Anyway I got tourqed when I do the S-video cable, it makes the jagged lines easy to see!!!
    Actually, when you advance connections, you also DISABLE the filters, COmponent will disable the digital comb filter. The point is tat it doesnt need it, instead you go directly to the picture...

Thread Information