Thread: DVD In-Game graphics?

Question DVD In-Game graphics?

Hi everyone,

Just a technical question I hope someone knows the answer too. Is it possible for the XBOX to switch to DVD playback mode during a game? I was just thinking that cut-scenes could be brought to the next level using this technique. I think the PS2 can do it (FFX Cutscenes seem dvd like). It might even already exist in a game I haven't had the chance to checkout, if it does, let me know.. I wanna see!!

Thanks,
    Dre

Well I know in MX2002 its cuts to DVD film of motorcross racing at certain times. So yeah, I think its very possible...

All the games for xbox are dvd disc. So they can already do it.

There is a big difference between dvd playback mode and gaming mode. Just because the games are on actual dvds does not necessarily mean the xbox has the inherent capability to switch modes at will.

I've emailed xbox dev support with the question.., I doubt they'll get back to me but if they do, I'll let you all know the official response.

And Stang, thanks... I'll have to check out MX2002.

Cheers,
    Dre

Sure, it's possible. However, this practice is generally frowned upon because it separates you from the game. Cut scenes using the game engine are used to create a seamless transition between the game and the narrative.

One of the gripes I have about FF is that all the ads on TV show you the cut scenes but the actual game looks like crap. It borders on false advertising, if you ask me.

Thread Information