Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Wanna help with the Faceplate Database?

The Game Is Not Over!!! Nato King's Avatar

I just have one question. what is the update on the datebase. how is it going.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nato King-XBA View Post
    I just have one question. what is the update on the datebase. how is it going.
    ya has it been forgotten or is it secretly underconstruction, if so pm me and i will keep the secret

Don't worry about sizing pics. I'll do all that. Just try not to have them distorted like if you took the pic from the end or bottom, or took it too up close. Better to stand back, then zoom in as much as possible. Try to eliminate light glare on the plate.

When you've got some, PM me and I'll give you my address. Kamshaft said we don't need to host them anywhere because XBA will handle the hosting.

Kam's had other things going on, and I've actually gone out with a ladyfriend a couple of time so it's almost like I have a life now.

I have a couple of plates I have to get done tonight and some artwork so I can get stickers made tomorrow, but I will do my part with the pics so I can say there's some progress tomorrow. We're just going to try it out with a half-dozen or so and work the bugs out before we just roll it out. I'm hoping to have the test run ready by the 1st.
    Faceplates at Hidden Content
    Kinect at Hidden Content .

Oh, another thing. Gameking28's plate looks really good with the black background, so I'm going to do mine like that. Also, let's forget the whole "who does what" thing. If you can take pics of ten plates, you can take pics of twenty, right? So just photograph as much of your collection as you want to and email them to me. (PM me for the email address). I'll just use the best pics, so if there are four CoD4's, the best pic will get used. ANYONE who contributes a pic and/or information for the database will be mentioned all in one place.

Gracias.

Oh ok I am in I have a few faceplates I can take a picture of. Sending a PM now for the email Address.

I've finally gotten all of my faceplates photographed, labeled, and ready to upload. I'll throw them up on the Photobucket tonight and send the link over to you Spacey.

Man, I've been trying to get this done since November. Hopefully it will help a lot with the database.

*edit* Sooooo... photobucket is down for maintnance. Figures it would happen the moment I finish this stuff.
    Last edited by gameking28; 01-31-2008 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Stupid photobucket
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Conchord Hidden Content
    And by "big" I mean purple, and by "gun" I mean vibrator.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by CarGuy Hidden Content
    cars are stupid and i hate them.

Quote Originally Posted by gameking28 View Post
    I've finally gotten all of my faceplates photographed, labeled, and ready to upload. I'll throw them up on the Photobucket tonight and send the link over to you Spacey.

Man, I've been trying to get this done since November. Hopefully it will help a lot with the database.

*edit* Sooooo... photobucket is down for maintnance. Figures it would happen the moment I finish this stuff.

sorry to hear that. I too have been taking pictures of faceplates and will be sending them to Space by the end of the day or by saturday for sure. I know I will be taking pictures of faceplates already sent but he did say that the best picture will be picked. also I will be taking a picture of the custom faceplate I made today. I hope you guys will like it because it's my first time doing a custom faceplate.

I just got a Creative Zen W for cheap, to replace my Zune that was stolen a couple of months ago. It took almost a day to get all my music on it, and it's taken more than a day to get all the video because they all have to be converted. Pray for them. Anyway, it's still doing it, and it's scarfing down resources on my computer. Once it's done, it'll be done done, but I don't want to stop it to do other stuff because it's so close to the end.

All this to mean my laptop is running really slow. I took some pictures. I got some pictures in my email, but didn't see who they were from or what they looked like because it would take forever to dl them. Hopefully this thing will be done soon and I can start getting all the pics together.

I know there will be duplicate pics, so the best one wins. Later on, once the pics are up, if someone thinks they can get a nicer pic of something that is already up, they're welcome to give it a shot. Heh heh, joke. OK, anyway, it's not something that we'll make and it'll be "done." It'll NEVER be "done." We'll just keep trying to improve what we have, while we add new things we don't have.

Hey! The video thing just finished right while I was typing this. Groovy. I have to put some pics on it too but that will be fast. bbl with an update.

Yeah Space I did send you about 3 or 4 pictures today let me know what you think of them also about 2 pictures I can't send because it's too big. Can I send these by PM or it's not going to work that why. Please let me know. thanks nato

Quote Originally Posted by Nato King-XBA View Post
    Yeah Space I did send you about 3 or 4 pictures today let me know what you think of them also about 2 pictures I can't send because it's too big. Can I send these by PM or it's not going to work that why. Please let me know. thanks nato
    Can you reduce the size a bit?

((((MUY IMPORTANTE!!!)))

(((ATTENCION!!!)))

OK, I'll stop yelling now.

I talked with Kamshaft-XBA about the database, and I have some information to share.

First, there are some behind the scenes things that are going to take longer than it was first assumed. Some of it involves people. Some of it involves code. This whole thing is volunteer and when there are a number of people involved, you go with the flow. So, to pull an old video game stunt, I'll just say "Q1 2008." Fingers crossed we'll be talking end-of-February, but even that is just a hopeful date.

Second, he was firm in his wishes for one standard size of photo. Now here is the plan. Think of the database as a series of boxes, each box representing a faceplate. There's a name on the outside of the box. That name or number is irrelevant. It's just a way to distinguish the items. For instance, if we put the name of the faceplate on "the box" and then we decided to change the name, then all the links and everything go *poof*.

Now in this box with the name on it, there will be the data. That will include things like I mentioned before: name of the plate, game or event it's tied to, countries where it was available, etc. Pretty much any criteria you would use to sort plates will be available.

Concerning pictures, each "box" will have one picture assigned to it. That picture will be the main picture that shows up in thumbnails. It's the thumbnails that are the reason for needing the consistant sizing. For example, if you go to the "Call of Duty 4" page, hopefully there will be a thumbnail of the plate there. If that page is altered to accomodate that thumbnail, it would be madness to alter every page individually to accomodate different size thumbnails. Alternately, it would be madness to take a bunch of different size pictures and then make individually resized thumbnails.

So don't worry about cropping pics or anything. Just please make sure the pics are AT LEAST 800 x 240. I can always make them smaller, but making them larger makes the pics fuzzy and pixelated as I'm sure you know.

**EDIT** Oh, I got away from some place I was going with this. We can have more than one pic in the box. For instance, we can show the PGR3 plate loose, pics of the back, and pics of the two different packages (700 ltd and common). Just the main one will be used in thumbnails. Think of it like eBay. You can put multiple pics up and just choose one to use for the "gallery" picture.

---

I took pics of about thirty plates, and I'm happy with very few of them. Mine will probably be placeholders until we get better pics. I could try and track down someone in this gated community where I love (it's NOT an asylum.... or IS it?) who is a photo hobbiest, but I think I'll just wait to see what you guys come up with, first.
    Last edited by SpaceGhost2K; 01-31-2008 at 04:24 PM.

I finally got mine all uploaded. Check your PMs.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Conchord Hidden Content
    And by "big" I mean purple, and by "gun" I mean vibrator.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by CarGuy Hidden Content
    cars are stupid and i hate them.

my camera is 1 megapixel so the pictures are all gonna look bad. im waiting to get a new camera to take pictures
    Looking for Quake IV plate, knockoff or real.

I would be interested in helping with the database. I don't want to slow anything up so don't feel the need to include me, but if I can do something to help the process I'd be willing to...

Just a thought, since lowdown 411 has one started do you think they'd be interested in collaborating and creating the faceplate database to rule them all?

Just a thought. It seems like people looking for information on faceplates go to lowdown and here at least at some point during their search. The powers could combine like captain planet.
    Current faceplates (Just the highlights/new additions)
    Prey
    Korean Launch
    Massive
    Simpsons Custom
    Simpsons Movie Console

Wish list:
    1. DICE
    2. Moto GP
    3. X05 Canada Maple Tile
    4. X06 Canada
    5. Sweden Launch

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by goldeneyez9 View Post
    I would be interested in helping with the database. I don't want to slow anything up so don't feel the need to include me, but if I can do something to help the process I'd be willing to...

Just a thought, since lowdown 411 has one started do you think they'd be interested in collaborating and creating the faceplate database to rule them all?

Just a thought. It seems like people looking for information on faceplates go to lowdown and here at least at some point during their search. The powers could combine like captain planet.
    technically i am the only one who recently talked with him, his was such a hassle to make he's told me and the site good luck so i doubt he will wanna collaborate also he isnt very talkative unless you actually talk with him he doesnt like messaging via xbox.com or LIVE aton like i do so when he responds it will be sort and sweet but fully understandable

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JakofallAces View Post
    technically i am the only one who recently talked with him, his was such a hassle to make he's told me and the site good luck so i doubt he will wanna collaborate also he isnt very talkative unless you actually talk with him he doesnt like messaging via xbox.com or LIVE aton like i do so when he responds it will be sort and sweet but fully understandable
    i always wanted to quote my wisdom anyways so taco joined and posted his collection YAYAYYAY and i got my new Tags 06 number 1 of the 200 in the series and i was wondering when the DATA BASE WILL BE OPERATIONAL SPACEY/KAMSAFT/ANY1 ELSE WHO CARES LIKE I DO

thanks

Registered User cheezymonkey999's Avatar

hey, i just took pics of my entire collection. I have group pics as well as every single plate by itself. Somthing like 130 pics. Glad to help if you want them.
    "It aint easy bein cheezy" XBL cheezymonkey999

Quote Originally Posted by cheezymonkey999 View Post
    hey, i just took pics of my entire collection. I have group pics as well as every single plate by itself. Somthing like 130 pics. Glad to help if you want them.
    I have always cared about this
    database. I have been taking pictures of every faceplate I get too. also cheezymonkey any pictures will help with the database just send them to space he will do all the sizing and stuff and let you know if a picture wasn't good and if you haveto retake any faceplates.

CheezyMonkey<3 I got my first plate off him. I will send pics after I finish my custom
    Pot is a plant,
    That grows in the ground.
    If god didn't want it,
    It wouldn't be around.
    So all you fuckers that don't get high,
    Shut the fuck up and give it a try.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenOwnzYew View Post
    CheezyMonkey<3 I got my first plate off him. I will send pics after I finish my custom
    cool ur doing a custom cant wait to see it i am uploading my new Tags 06 to the site under my collection page momentarily so dont forget to check it out YAY

Guys, Kamshaft is working on it. That's all I can tell you because it's all I know.

Thread Information