Thread: Starting Up

Question Starting Up

Hi there, I saw all the work it and thought it was fantastic i really liked it all. I wanted to start out, what sort of stuff do i need, like for example what sort of paint do i need, is spray paints best etc or is model paint or is special paint needed, i have just purchased a blank faceplate off ebay will have a go at 1 when i find the best sort of stuff i need...

Also I live in england so i will be keeping an eye out of ebay for some collectable faceplates, what are good 1s to look out for.

Thanks for all your help

~EC

The first halo is BEST! FlawIe55's Avatar

Here you go my friend, this is a thread that has a few tutorials in it at the beginning.

http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82205

Elite, what plates to recommend to you all depends on what you want out of your collection. Ghostrider goes for quality. Cheesemonkey goes for quantity. Moltenluv and I are in the middle somewhere. And everybody else is all over the place.

If you're doing it in the hopes of the plates increasing in value, then go for the harder to get, limited edition or event plates. Even then, there's no crystal ball here. If Xbox 3 comes out with no customization options available for collectors to embrace, then the value of ALL of this stuff could go right in the toliet.

For me, I just pretend that none of it has any value except for personal interest and satisfaction. They have a COST, but I don't look at them like they'll maintain their worth as an investment. I've been through Star Wars figures and basketball cards, and watched Shaq cards go fron $350 to $10. It doesn't matter how limited something is if all interest in it goes away.

If you like cars, or RPG's, or shooters, or sports - you can always start by collecting a genre. You can collect custom plates (shameless plug). I wouldn't build a collection around common retail "filler" plates, bit there are some of them that are a nice addition to a collection.

So for you, I'd say this. Look through the collections posted here. Look through the wishlists posted here. Look through the eBay auctions for 360 faceplates that are currently open, and the ones that have closed in the last thirty days. Get an idea of what people want, what they're spending money on and what's going cheap. Set a budget of what you'll spend. Find out what plates you like that would fit in that budget. And then ask here if anyone has one to part with, and bid on eBay, not going any higher than your limit. Maybe somethign else will come up in your budget that you like and you can get it and get the other plate later.
    Faceplates at Hidden Content
    Kinect at Hidden Content .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceGhost2K View Post
    Elite, what plates to recommend to you all depends on what you want out of your collection. Ghostrider goes for quality. Cheesemonkey goes for quantity. Moltenluv and I are in the middle somewhere. And everybody else is all over the place.
    that hurts spacey you know i go for quality, all i have is quality check my collection only 6 really rare plates so wheres the love man

Quote Originally Posted by JakofallAces View Post
    that hurts spacey you know i go for quality, all i have is quality check my collection only 6 really rare plates so wheres the love man
    What I meant was that there are people in here that go from one end to the other and everywhere inbetween. Cheesemonkey has quality stuff, too. Obviously, you go towards the "quality" end. I only mentioned a couple of people by name is all.
    Faceplates at Hidden Content
    Kinect at Hidden Content .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceGhost2K View Post
    What I meant was that there are people in here that go from one end to the other and everywhere inbetween. Cheesemonkey has quality stuff, too. Obviously, you go towards the "quality" end. I only mentioned a couple of people by name is all.
    spacey its cool and welcome Elite and good luck with your fortune with faceplates and be prepared to waste everything you have for tiny little pieces of plastic that you would die for. And if you go for customs be prepared to be blown away by spacey, flawless, and of course Artistpavel

My first ever faceplate was "The Outfit". I still have it and like it alot. Sorry, mine is not for sale, you can find one for $5 on Ebay for sure.

was going to bid on a halo faceplate of spaceghosts but then he told me that the post will be $24 lol i am really tempted still though. I will keep a look out for it and see how it goes.

BTW all if i want to get started in customising my own, what would be the best tools, paint etc to go for?

Christmas is coming up and if need be might get an airbrush and compressor as a personal xmas present to myself

BTW do they, have they made a shadow run faceplate that game rocks :P

Quote Originally Posted by FlawIe55 View Post
    Here you go my friend, this is a thread that has a few tutorials in it at the beginning.

http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82205
    Sorry Guys didnt see this post haha

Thanks Alot FLawIe55 and thanks for every1 that posted in it, i think its going to help alot

Regards

~EC

Thread Information