Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you guys collect anything besides faceplates?

Default Do you guys collect anything besides faceplates?

Some people have games while others have a "game collection."

I've collected Star Wars figures since 1978 when I was eleven. At one point about six years ago, I sold off most of my vintage figures because I was hurting for money. Since then I tried to keep up with the new line. About two years ago, they got really stale, releasing the 38th version of Tatooine Luke - that kind of thing.

I won a half-dozen DOA girls figures in a website launch contest, and that got me into collecting gashapon. Gashapon are toys that come in plastic capsules that you buy from coin operated machines. They call them "one coin" figures too, as they vary in price but always take just one coin to buy. They're called gashapon because the machines make a "gasha-gasha" noise whenthe capsule comes out.

They're are also trading figures, which are about the same price as US action figures ($5-$10). They come in sealed boxes so you don't know which one of the set you're going to get. They also come in a lot more varients than US figures. Many figures will come in the normal color scheme, and a white or clear varient. They also come in varient colors, but white or clear are more common.

Strange thing is, just like trading cards, I have yet to find an actual trading site. You know, a place where you can actualy TRADE the figures.

Besides the figures, I also pick up an animation biography book when I find one. I have Chuck Jones' and Mel Blanc, and histories of Disney and Warner Brothers cartoon studios.

Do any of you have other things that you collect?
    Faceplates at Hidden Content
    Kinect at Hidden Content .

The first halo is BEST! FlawIe55's Avatar

MMM I got into collecting action figures and the newer star wars figs several years back (for me I think the best variant figure I have is an obi wan fig from the very first wave of re-released figs in maybe 98?), I would pretty much go for the rare variants, and Han solo figs, as I like that dude.

I kinda slowed down almost completely except for the every so often halo action figure now.

I keep them all carded. and sold a "lot" of about 15-20 starwars figs on ebay a few years back and havent sold any since. Have a few original carded TMNT figs, and random figs I knew were rare.

So yea, thats pretty much what I collect. Dont really collect faceplates, I just like to paint them. For me its cool to know only one person out there somewhere is enjoying a one-of-a-kind that I painted.

Game and toys. My 360 games alone are over 80 now, and for Toys, its mostly anything Halo/Final Fantasy/Transformers related, though I'l nab antyhing that just looks cool. Anything swag wise as well I keep in my goody chest
    Executive Editor
    Xboxaddict.com

Living a SyniKal life.... xXSyn1KalXx's Avatar

I collect a wide range of things, or have collected. I collect games and movies, movies are a passion I love them, I have about 350-400 dvd's, and about 1000 vhs. With games I have about a hundred snes, a hundred gb/gba, a hundred n64, about 60-70 dreamcast, about 200 xbox, 50 360, and then like 4 ps3, and all the final fantasy's. On top of that I collect first edition book's as well, I have a 1965 first edition collection of the lotr series that my grandfather gave me. The first book is signed, and the lot is worth about $3,500, but I don't think I'll ever sell it, it has too much sentimental value.
    SyniKal
    eBay ID:xxsynikalxx
    Hidden Content

XBA Forum Administrator Shawn-XBA's Avatar

I have a lot of sports collectibles, mostly football and baseball. I also have a nice collection of Hess trucks dating all the way back to the 80's.

Follow me on Twitter: Hidden Content
    Watch me on Twitch: Hidden Content
    Subscribe on YouTube: Hidden Content
    Email/Skype: Hidden Content

The Ex-Faceplate Goddess moltenluv's Avatar

OMG I have Hess trucks going back to the 80's too! My grandma started buying them for me for Christmas when I was little and I still get one every year.

Living a SyniKal life.... xXSyn1KalXx's Avatar

What exactly are hess trucks? I don't believe I've heard of them, but I have the coca=cola trucks. My uncle gets me one every year for christmas because he thinks I like them, but hey they will be very collectible later on
    eBay ID:xxsynikalxx
    Hidden Content

Every year (well almost) since 1964 Hess gas station sells a Hess toy truck. They are highly collectable and their value increases as the years go on. For more info go to http://www.hesstoytruck.com/

Quote Originally Posted by moltenluv View Post
    OMG I have Hess trucks going back to the 80's too! My grandma started buying them for me for Christmas when I was little and I still get one every year.
    Thats funny, my uncle buys me one every year.

I dunno if I am getting one this year. I will have to remind my grandma. It won't feel like Christmas if I don't get one. If I remember correctly my collection started with the 1985 truck(or maybe it is the 1981-82 one?) and I do believe I have every one since then. However way back when I still lived at home my mom was dusting off the boxes and picked that one up by the end and was holding it upside down (stupid thing to do) and the other end came open and it fell out and broke I demanded that she replace it and she agreed untill she looked around online and locally and saw how much people were asking for it. Now whenever I bring it up she changes the subject. Oh well.........I think all my other ones are mint in their boxes. I know I played with some as a kid but I always kept real good care of my stuff. As I got older however I would take them out too look at them and make sure the lights worked and everything but I would put them right back into the box afterwards.

I don't really collect anything else right now. I think I get bored too easily or lose interest or something. As a kid I collected Barbies, My Little Ponies, and Strawberry Shortcake dolls then Lego sets, Matchbox cars, and He-man/She-Ra stuff then baseball cards then very briefly fancy porcelain dolls (my grandma thought they would be fun for me to collect but it turns out that I have this horrible fear of porcelain dolls and they were giving me awful nightmares so she stopped buying them for me) then books then Puffkins then Pokemon stuff (it wasn't long lived, my cousins were into that stuff then and it kinda rubbed off on me) then Christmas decorations then keychains and those stupid troll dolls with the funky hair then things pertaining to frogs and cows then pewter figures then monkey stuffed animals (I still buy these every once in a while) and now Xbox 360 faceplates. Hahah see I am all over the map there. That may not be the exact order of things but you get the jist. I am surpised I haven't become bored with faceplates.To be honest the only reason I still collect Hess trucks is because somebody else buys them for me. I dunno if I would necessarily would go out and buy them for myself. The only other thing is I still love stuffed animals. I have no idea why. I know they are kiddie and pointless but I just love them anyway. It might just be a girl thing but it think its because my mom always hated them. She called them "dust collectors" and didn't really like for me to have any. I think that covers it, I can't really think of anything else. Oh wait I also like the free junkie crap you get for pre-ordering something. I will pre-order stuff I don't even want just to get a free t-shirt or figure or whatever it might be that you get.
    Last edited by moltenluv; 12-13-2007 at 08:09 PM.

I collect all kinds of stuff. It began with coins when I was little. I never really got anything valuable, just fun little U.S. mint collections and stuff.
    Then it moved on to sports memorabilia as I got older. I actually still have a bunch of cool stuff from that -
    Magic Johnson signed Basketball
    Muhammad Ali signed shorts and gloves
    A picture of Ted Williams, Joe DiMaggio, and Mickey Mantle together - signed by all three of them
    Team signed photo of the 1993 Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (their first year in the NHL)
    Signed photo of Cal Ripken Jr. breaking the consecutive game record along with a ball postmarked on the day he broke it; signed of course.

Nowadays I collect Master Replicas Star Wars stuff - helmets, lightsabers, etc. - although that's an extremely expensive hobby that I can't always afford.

Most of my collecting is gaming related. I have every system I've ever bought, and every game I've ever bought (excluding some duplicates I've picked up here and there). I've have old Special Edition Game Boys from back in the early 90s, rare (although some not particularly hard to get) controllers for various systems, stuff like that. I like collecting the industry only stuff that has come around in more recent years. The crown jewel in that collection is the green trimmed employee launch 360 I have. It comes with a green hard drive, green trimmed controller, and one of the "I Made This" faceplates. The thing is badassssss.

I got into faceplates when I went to Zero Hour. Getting the "original" rare faceplate (excluding the E305 plate since the system wasn't out for another 6 months) really sold me on faceplate collecting. After seeing Sean Korb's collection in XBox magazine, I started really getting into faceplates and built my collection to the small but respectable display it is today.
    Last edited by gameking28; 12-13-2007 at 08:13 PM.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Conchord Hidden Content
    And by "big" I mean purple, and by "gun" I mean vibrator.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by CarGuy Hidden Content
    cars are stupid and i hate them.

Registered User cheezymonkey999's Avatar

I collect video game stuff... Rare accessories, systems, signs, and promo items. I really like the kiosks where you can play the systems in stores. I have a few of them.
    "It aint easy bein cheezy" XBL cheezymonkey999

Quote Originally Posted by moltenluv View Post
    I dunno if I am getting one this year. I will have to remind my grandma. It won't feel like Christmas if I don't get one. If I remember correctly my collection started with the 1985 truck(or maybe it is the 1981-82 one?) and I do believe I have every one since then. However way back when I still lived at home my mom was dusting off the boxes and picked that one up by the end and was holding it upside down (stupid thing to do) and the other end came open and it fell out and broke I demanded that she replace it and she agreed untill she looked around online and locally and saw how much people were asking for it. Now whenever I bring it up she changes the subject. Oh well.........I think all my other ones are mint in their boxes. I know I played with some as a kid but I always kept real good care of my stuff. As I got older however I would take them out too look at them and make sure the lights worked and everything but I would put them right back into the box afterwards.
    I think mine starts with the 1984 truck, I also have one from the late 60's but I don't know which one. I just got this years Hess truck about 2 weeks ago.

When I was little I used to play with them and some of them had little pieces break off of them. I have mint condition trucks from the early 90's to now.

Here's an ebay auction of the 1967 Hess Truck.
    Last edited by Shawn-XBA; 12-14-2007 at 03:22 PM.

i collect memories (pictures of places i go to)..and car mods

used to collect computer viruses....

Quote Originally Posted by SilentFatality-XBA View Post
    I think mine starts with the 1984 truck, I also have one from the late 60's but I don't know which one. I just got this years Hess truck about 2 weeks ago.

When I was little I used to play with them and some of them had little pieces break off of them. I have mint condition trucks from the early 90's to now.

Here's an ebay auction of the 1967 Hess Truck.
    Holy crap! I wish I had one of those. Do you know how many faceplates I could buy with the money I would make I wonder why these were deemed highly collectable in the world of toy trucks? As a person who owns a bunch of them I really don't see what the big deal is.

The "Mancave," back in the day. Doesn't look like that anymore, mostly because I don't live there anymore.
    Faceplates at Hidden Content
    Kinect at Hidden Content .

What. GTFO! Really? That was all yours? Omg I really am a dork! I love it! I would never leave, ever!

Hahahah maybe thats the Christmas present I should ask for except mine would be a woman-cave I guess. That doesn't sound as good

My God spaceghost that's an awsome set up.
    Last edited by Ry; 12-15-2007 at 10:47 AM.
    Pot is a plant,
    That grows in the ground.
    If god didn't want it,
    It wouldn't be around.
    So all you fuckers that don't get high,
    Shut the fuck up and give it a try.

Thread Information