Thread: Console Collectors Question.

Default Console Collectors Question.

Last April I bought a used, obviously, Launch Team 360. It had green insert panels on the ends, the "I made this" faceplate, and the controller with the green inserts, plus a green 20 GB HDD with the launch date engraved into it. I paid $500, which was $200 more than a regular Pro was selling for at the time.

Within 30 days of buying the console, it got the red lights. I shipped it off to be fixed. They returned it with gray panels in the ends, but the green ones arrived in a separate package the following day. They're easily replaceable I learned, without breaking the MS seal, so I put them back on.

Now, not quite a year later, the DVD drive is dead and needs replacement. I had another 360 I had to have repaired that cost me $100. While it was out, I bought a new one from Target with a newer board, and then when it came back, I loaned it to KatamariKutie. She has been using it for about six months now, or so. Anyway, now THAT one is also having problems reading some discs. Unlike mine where the drive is just dead, hers is sporadic. It is a March 2006 console. When I got it repaired, it was a video issue, and I had to pay $100 to repair it.

So... I can pay $100 each to repair them both. Or, I can pay $200 and replace one. Or I can pay $200 twice and replace both. Or... well, there's a lot of options.

My main question is this.. what do I do about the Launch Team 360? The ONLY thing that identifies it as a launch console is the green panels in the end, although I'm sure the serial number and date of manufacture can pinpoint it. But from an aesthetic POV, if I put those green panels in another console, for all intents and purposes, it would be a launch team console.

As console collectors, would you:

1) Rather see the console repaired by MS, keep the original board, case, serial #, etc.? Even if it means it may continue to die over and over and over?

2) See the end pieces put onto a new console and call it good?

Here's the thing, who knows what MS may replace those parts with anyway? If, eventually, they have to replace the disc drive, the motherboard, and everything else inside, is that any different than just going to buy a new console? It may already have a new board in it from the first repair, and this would mean a new drive. It still has the same serial number, but MS is under no obligation to keep that, either. They could just as easily replace this with a refurb as that is their right.

What's your suggestion?

I am inclined to buy a new Arcade unit, and swap the grilles. Reattach the HDD and faceplate, and use the green controller. Voila, a Launch Team 360 with a Jasper board AND 256 MB of onboard memory storage. Then I just sell the old unit as-is with a bad disc drive.
    Faceplates at Hidden Content
    Kinect at Hidden Content .

Well since the warrenty is expired from the console any way and it's just the DVD drive that is giving you issues, why not just fix the dvd drive? It cost like $40 to buy on off ebay, u can break the seal or take yours off, and then flash the new dvd with unmodded firmware and it will be just fine. All u need is a sata connection sometimes u need a VIA6421A connection to read and flash the drive, sometimes you need more hardware. Do you know why type of drive you have in the 360 I have a couple spare drives that were pulled from working 360's maybe we could work out a trade of some sorts?

Hawk

Quote Originally Posted by mhawk134 View Post
    Well since the warrenty is expired from the console any way and it's just the DVD drive that is giving you issues, why not just fix the dvd drive? It cost like $40 to buy on off ebay, u can break the seal or take yours off, and then flash the new dvd with unmodded firmware and it will be just fine. All u need is a sata connection sometimes u need a VIA6421A connection to read and flash the drive, sometimes you need more hardware. Do you know why type of drive you have in the 360 I have a couple spare drives that were pulled from working 360's maybe we could work out a trade of some sorts?

Hawk
    I don't know how do to any of that stuff. And once I break the seal, that will be the end of any interest anyone would have in a Launch Team 360. I wouldn't spend "collectors money" on an opened console.

Hellon earth159

For my part, I would keep it intact. Think fo it like classic cars...Having the original parts matter.
    Last edited by hellonearth159; 04-24-2009 at 09:32 PM.

Well the console can easily be re sealed by doing an extra step, that takes like 3 minutes a hair dryer a razor blade, and some wax paper, and you can pull your seal off your self. If your going to transfer it to a new console then it wouldn't matter anyway because the launch 360's are non HDMI units and the new arcade versions are all HDMI units, if you do not want to spend that much money replace the drive yourself then reseal it and your good as done.

Hawk

Quote Originally Posted by mhawk134 View Post
    Well the console can easily be re sealed by doing an extra step, that takes like 3 minutes a hair dryer a razor blade, and some wax paper, and you can pull your seal off your self. If your going to transfer it to a new console then it wouldn't matter anyway because the launch 360's are non HDMI units and the new arcade versions are all HDMI units, if you do not want to spend that much money replace the drive yourself then reseal it and your good as done.

Hawk
    See, all that sneaking around means you're doing something you're not supposed to be doing. That's why we don't do mod talk here.

I'm not talking about modding, I'm just saying that you will have to flash the drive with the original key and firmware or else the console will not read any games, or since it is that old most likely you have a Samsung drive and you can just take the drive apart and replace the pcb from the old drive into the new working drive and your good to go. If your talking about transplanting the gills and the HDD and the faceplate that takes away anything with meaning because the console will not be legit weather it is sealed or not. You can fix it your self for around $40 or pay MS $100 to do it and they take twice as long. And that just means that I know how to do something if I ever need to do it.

Hawk
    Last edited by mhawk134; 04-24-2009 at 10:33 PM.

Since you already had the 3RLOD on this console it's safe to assume you already have a new board in there (that error is triggered because the heat sink isn't leeching up enough heat and your board starts frying). Now if you send it back again, MS is going to replace the CD drive with a new one too.

What's left that's original after that? The fans? The case itself?

Unless you care about the manufacturing date and serial number (which as you pointed out may be swapped if you send it in), I would do the Arcade idea.

Like you said, the only thing that differentiated a Launch Team console from any other 360 you could buy on the release was the green controller insert, the green panels, and the green HDD. Those are what make it special IMO.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Conchord Hidden Content
    And by "big" I mean purple, and by "gun" I mean vibrator.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by CarGuy Hidden Content
    cars are stupid and i hate them.

Default Console Collectors Question

Was wondering if there are any sports card collectors out there....
    There are many cards that I am looking for, and if you are looking for any please let me know.

I also have alot of rare, high dollar cards as well.

anyone???

I agree Space2k an Hellonearth. Keep it intact.

Thread Information