Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could the same be done with controllers?

One Red Hot BAMF

Default Could the same be done with controllers?

Obviously you have to disassemble these to paint them, but would the same steps apply? I have a bunch of extra controllers from when they broke and MS sent me new ones before I could send out the broken ones.

Also, hi, Im new :P

Yes, I am English... Spyder 232's Avatar

Why not buy a ready painted pad so you don't risk breaking your own pad?

...b/c those designs are ugly
    Looking for Quake IV plate, knockoff or real.

Thee Ganja Farmer WARTH0G DRIVER's Avatar

Welcome!
    Hope you enjoy your stay here a XBA!

*If you need any help. Just ask!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I suppose its possable.. try it out! And tell us how it works out!

I've hesitated painting controllers because faceplates get very little handling. Controllers are handled 100% of the time you're playing games. I don't think a paintjob could hold up to the constant use.
    Faceplates at Hidden Content
    Kinect at Hidden Content .

One Red Hot BAMF

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder 232 View Post
    Why not buy a ready painted pad so you don't risk breaking your own pad?

Lol risk breaking my pad? I've taken my controllers apart many times already. How can you say that and be a member of this board? Because by what you just said I'm led to believe you think the same for custom faceplates !

One Red Hot BAMF

Okay guys here's the deal. I have a couple extra controllers as well as a controller shell (poor thing was in the road so I took it in and fixed it up with the thought of painting it in the future). I decided I really need a new project to work on, so I've already taken apart and sanded the controller.

I'm about to go prime it with the leftover citadel colours primer I have from when I was making and selling warhammer figures. I know what design I'm going to paint on it but I'm going to keep it a secret.

Also, it will probably take a little longer than it normally would because if all goes as planned, I'll be making a picture tutorial and putting a video up on youtube.
    Last edited by leethal_4ce; 01-09-2008 at 01:43 AM. Reason: combining posts

One Red Hot BAMF

Sad

Okay so I just got finished priming the controller. I had forgotten how fast Citadel dries! I was able to do a second coat after 5 minutes!

I'm going to let the second coat dry overnight. I actually might have this all finished by friday, considering the camera I got for the holidays takes video and has some sweet editing software. I still want to do the idea I was thinking of, but if you all have any requests, I might change my mind.

Oh crud I just remembered, I don't have clear coat left over.... I'll have to stop at my craft store tomorrow.
    Last edited by leethal_4ce; 01-09-2008 at 01:46 AM. Reason: update/combining posts

The Ex-Faceplate Goddess moltenluv's Avatar

Me and my ex actually did try that once. Somehow we had amassed quite a collection of controllers (I really have no idea how we got that many) so we decided to take a few apart and paint them. I don't remember what paint we used but I do know it was made specifically for plastic. Anyway within a few months the paint started to wear thin from use. It sucked because I really liked mine, it was pink and purple with a paint splatter effect going on. Too bad I don't have any pics of it. I know that he made a Red Sox one for his buddy and one for himself and his roommate but I don't remember what those two looked like.

Yes, I am English... Spyder 232's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by leethal_4ce View Post
    Lol risk breaking my pad? I've taken my controllers apart many times already. How can you say that and be a member of this board? Because by what you just said I'm led to believe you think the same for custom faceplates !
    I do use faceplates.
    Just not pads.

The Game Is Not Over!!! Nato King's Avatar

Welcome to the site. I hope you enjoy yourself.

One Red Hot BAMF

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder 232 View Post
    Why not buy a ready painted pad
    That's what you said that irked me a bit :P I mean with that thought, why not just buy a ready painted faceplate? Because they don't have what I want and I am willing to screw up a controller to get it!
    My Faceplates: The one that came with my 360
    My Games: Gears of War, Lost Planet, Rainbow Six Vegas, Guitar Hero II, Def Jam: Icon, Halo 3, Viva Pinata, CoD2, Dead Rising, Perfect Dark, PGR3, Big Bumpin', Sneak King, Pocket Bike Racer, and Rockstar's Table Tennis
    My XBLA games: Aegis Wing, Boom Boom Rocket, Carcassonne, Exit, Gauntlet, Geometry Wars, Marble Blast Ultra, Small Arms, Uno, Totemball, Yaris, and HEXIC HD (lol)

If any of these games has a multiplayer that you want to play (even if no one plays it any more!) send me a message on XBL and we'll play!!!

Current Projects:Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I used to have a bunch of the original "Duke" controllers that I was going to repaint, and gave up on the idea. I did keep one of the clear plastic windows from the logo that will end up on a HAL-9000 faceplate.

If you clear coat the controller with and automotive clear coat with a flex additive you`ll never have a problem with it wearing off, and if it dulls out from use you can polish it out. It sounds funny but its the truth, everybody on here puts so much thought and time into painting these faceplates its just a shame that there are very few people protecting their hard work with a quality top coat. All you would need is a cheap touch up gun and a small compressor, hell you could even use and airbrush in a pinch. Thats just my .02 cents

One Red Hot BAMF

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadog View Post
    If you clear coat the controller with and automotive clear coat with a flex additive you`ll never have a problem with it wearing off, and if it dulls out from use you can polish it out. It sounds funny but its the truth, everybody on here puts so much thought and time into painting these faceplates its just a shame that there are very few people protecting their hard work with a quality top coat. All you would need is a cheap touch up gun and a small compressor, hell you could even use and airbrush in a pinch. Thats just my .02 cents
    Thanks a ton. Do you think something like this would work?

I'm mighty low on cash right now, can't go spending a ton on an air compressor and airbrush (though I have been looking into it for a year...). I just purchased a dremel
    My Faceplates: The one that came with my 360
    My Games: Gears of War, Lost Planet, Rainbow Six Vegas, Guitar Hero II, Def Jam: Icon, Halo 3, Viva Pinata, CoD2, Dead Rising, Perfect Dark, PGR3, Big Bumpin', Sneak King, Pocket Bike Racer, and Rockstar's Table Tennis
    My XBLA games: Aegis Wing, Boom Boom Rocket, Carcassonne, Exit, Gauntlet, Geometry Wars, Marble Blast Ultra, Small Arms, Uno, Totemball, Yaris, and HEXIC HD (lol)

If any of these games has a multiplayer that you want to play (even if no one plays it any more!) send me a message on XBL and we'll play!!!

Current Projects:Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Well, I have an airbrush and a compressor now. Let me know exactly what I need and I'll do it. I need name brands, part numbers - whatever. I've never worked with automotive stuff at all, before.

That would be better than nothing, but I would strongly recommend using a catalyzed clear coat. The aerosol cans really dont do a whole lot except leave a transparent coating to wear through before the color starts to wear down, but a good urethane catalyzed clear will last forever as long as its applied correctly.

I would recommend Sherwin williams Ultra 7000 clear coat. I`ve been using this for 7 years now and I wouldn`t use anything else. Its very user friendly, holds a nice shiny gloss, and has the flex additive built into the clear where as other companys make the flex a separate additive to buy.
    1 quart CC930 clear coat- $54
    1 pint UH904 hardener-$41
    1 quart US-1 reducer-$14

1 3M respirator-$25

I know this seems expensive but it will be worth it, and that 1 quart of clear you could probably clearcoat 300-400 faceplates. So its pretty much and investment that will last a long time and give you the best finish and protection to all of your hard work. AND THE RESPIRATOR IS A MUST!!!!!

if you need any ideas on designs for your controllers i can give you a few good ideas for controllers and some great looking designs

I've painted numerous controllers, a few for my close friends as well and the paint looks just as clear as it did the day I finished. I do about 4 layers of clear coat on controllers because as Spaceghost said, they are ALWAYS being rubbed on and what not. It mainly comes down to paints you are using and amount of clear coat layers applied.
    For Custom Orders Please Visit Our MySpace:
    Hidden Content
    OR
    E-mail Us:

Hidden Content

Thread Information