Hi there. :}

Kamshaft and FragMasterB just about have the data entry part of the Database completed. While they continue working on the visual interface and "searching" aspect of the database, I will be populating it. That means putting the data into it.

I have over 150 pictures of faceplates in a folder on my desktop, and there are very few of them that are the quality I was hoping for for the database. Please don't take this as me just not being happy with your efforts. I'm including myself in this, too. I want to have the nicest pictures we can get, and there are very few where I would say that applies.

Here are some of the issues I'm seeing with the pictures I have:

Perspective. One of these was taken from the side so that the other side of the plate can't be seen. I did that one. The other one was taken from the bottom so that the top is shrunk. Makes a nice picture of the character end of the plate, but the plate doesn't look like it's shaped properly.

Fingerprints. Also background. If it's dark and glossy, the fingerprints need to be wiped off. Plates also need to be on a background that is complementary. Light plates should have a dark background, dark plates should have a light background, and "busy" plates with a lot of detail or bright colors should be on a neutral background, like gray or tan. Kamshaft suggested that I go get some Bristol Boards 'cause they're cheap.

Flash. This plate is rotated a bit, which can be fixed, but it was taken directly above or in front of the plate so it's the same size at both ends. The issues this pic has is that the flash is fading out the picture, plus it's bouncing off the shiny, uneven background.

Lighting and focus. This plate looks like it was photographed without enough light, washing the colors out and making it look like it is out of focus.

Next post, some plates that work.