Thread: Need to know if this hub setup will work (pic inside)

Default Need to know if this hub setup will work (pic inside)

My home network has 2 computers on this hub. I'm upstairs and the hub is downstairs. So I'm gonna run a CAT 5 cable upstairs to my XBox. So I need to know if all I have to do is use that free port.

Thanks.

Your xbox will work fine with that setup.

BUT, if you are behind a router or firewall, you MAY not be able to create games in gamespy, but you sure can join them.
    Hidden Content
    add, confirm, corrections, PM me

Wondering Around

i had troubles using my router playing online. I used a hub and it worked perfect. The router was configured properly, had the correct ports open, etc... But i had terrible ping time, huge packet loss, etc... Never had that problem using the hub though. So i dunno.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

Yep! That will work. Just download the free software - Gamespy Arcade Software and Gamespy Tunnel Software (if you haven't already).

If you want to create a game on Gamespy and if you have a firewall, you can simply disable the firewall by going to your internet options on your computer. If you have XP, it's on the Advanced Tab

But, I do want to mention this just in case you receive too much packet loss: You might have to unplug one of your computers (the one without the Gamespy software, of course) from the router while you are playing on your XBox. Because, if it's hooked up, you may endure too much packet loss because of the extra hardware might be interupting the IP packet flow. Just a precaution.
    Last edited by Maximus; 03-07-2002 at 06:56 PM.

and of course measure how long of a cat5 cable you will need

looking again that red cable is that hooked into the uplink port?
    if it is i dont think you can use it at the same time ,,,they are linked inside the hub

if thats the case just switch cables back there put the PC thats not in use directly next to the uplink port,, you will have to switch these back and forth
    Last edited by Msterrrr; 03-07-2002 at 07:26 PM.
    I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory!,,,,,. Dwight D. Eisenhower

Hidden Content

Thanks for the replys.

About the cable length. I don't have to worry about it cause my dad is a higer up at his company and we get free DSL. He's gonna have a guy from his work run the cable for me, hehe.

Thread Information