Thread: Autographs

Default Autographs

Lately, getting plates signed has been my focus. Because of attending events for XBA and through contacts I made at E3 and through other blogs and forums like hawtymcbloggy.com, I'm finding access to a lot of people I've never had access to before now.

Chris at BioWare said the Mass Effect plates are signed and on their way back. Ian at EA Redwood Shores is getting plates signed right now, plus some other members of the team are having me make custom plates especially for them. I made plates for Guitar Hero World Tour and Star Wars: The Force Unleashed that were both signed by the devs, SW along with actors and voices from the game as well.

So here are some questions to get some talkin' going on in here:

1) Do you like autographed plates?

2) Do you like them more or less than unsigned plates?

3) If you were going to get a plate signed, would you prefer that it was signed on a retail plate or a custom plate? Or even just a plain plate?

4) Who would you want to sign the plate? Only the leads? Anyone on the team? "Famous people" like voice actors or mo-cap actors?

5) What would be your preference for signatures? Game industry people, actors, musicians, athletes?

I like them, for a couple of reasons. First, while custom plates are more limited than retail plates, a signed custom is even more limited than that. A one of a kind (or two or three, whatever) plate in a once in a lifetime place, and there ya go. The people who signed the SW:TFU plate will probably never all be in the same place at the same time, ever again.

Second, I like them because I can focus them on ME. I have signed plates by Dr. Demento, Taj Mahal, Brad Bird and Tomonobu Itagaki. That "collection," is very distinctly "me." I'm working on making a plate for The Bangles, who KK and I just saw in concert Thursday night. PLUS...

I'll reveal my next major project. I'm going to try to get a bunch of superhero plates signed. It all started when I ran across contact information for Jackson Bostwick, who played Captain Marvel in "SHAZAM" back in the 70's when I was a kid. From there, I found an address for Joanna Cameron, who played "Isis." That got me off on a tangent. I haven't found contact info yet, but I know I can track down Lou Ferigno for "The Incredible Hulk," and Lynda Carter for "Wonder Woman." Might be a little harder, but I'm also going to shoot for William Katt of "The Greatest American Hero", Nicholas Hammond from "Spider Man", and Adam West from "Batman." Someone also mentioned **** Durock from "Swamp Thing" but I want to at least do something that I have a personal connection with. I saw the show but I wasn't a follower of the show, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I'm waiting for paint to dry so I'm typing a bunch.
    Faceplates at Hidden Content
    Kinect at Hidden Content .

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceGhost2K-XBA View Post

3) If you were going to get a plate signed, would you prefer that it was signed on a retail plate or a custom plate? Or even just a plain plate?

4) Who would you want to sign the plate? Only the leads? Anyone on the team? "Famous people" like voice actors or mo-cap actors?

5) What would be your preference for signatures? Game industry people, actors, musicians, athletes?

1) Absolutely, I wish I could have more. Having it autographed adds MUCH more value to me sentimentally.

2) Much more. When getting it signed, it's cool to see the persons reaction that I actually care enough not only to want their autograph, but on a piece of something they helped create.

3) Retail/real plate hands down. Not that customs aren't 'real', but there are very few people that can make quality customs other than Spacey. Usually most customs I see seem 'thrown together' if that makes sence, where very few put quite a lot of time, effort, and ingenuity.

4) Obviously the more involved the 'better'. Having a plate signed my Cliffy B would mean more to me than a few artists or devs. Not that I would complain at all, but I'd much rather choose something signed by a producer/voice actor usually over a dev/whatever. This is to by no means put down devs, artists, etc, it's just what would be more cool to me.

5)The easy answer is people in the industry obviously. I don't follow sports at all, so having an athlete sign something for me would be meaningless to me, but to others it would be the equivalent of Jade Raymond or Cliffy B signing something for me.
    Executive Editor
    Xboxaddict.com

The lone voice of reason. Symmetric-XBA's Avatar

I like the whole personalized autographs on faceplates b/c I think that it provides a wonderfull tribute to ppl who devoted months and months of their time into making something that I will play for a few days, pick apart w/ a magnifying glass, then trade it back in for a @$$ pounding from gamestop or bb. I'd be looking if possible to go higher up on the superhero chain, maybe someone like stan lee??? What about Michael Keaton (batman), Michelle Pfifer (however you spell her name)(catwoman), Jack Nicholson (joker, R.I.P. Heath), Danny DeVeto(Penguin)? I'm personally waiting for a response back from Michael Phelps to sign my Olympics plate, and thank the heavens as well, the usa womens outdoor team was nearby for an event and they were signing autographs as well. Just a thought....

---------- 2011 XboxAddict Award: Most Addicted Addict ----------
    ---------- 2011 XboxAddict Award: Favorite Staffer ----------
    ---------- 2011 XboxAddict Award: Favorite Writer/Reviewer ----------
    THIS IS GOING TO BE HUGE! #XBA2016 MAKE XBA GREAT AGAIN!

Quote Originally Posted by Symmetric View Post
    I like the whole personalized autographs on faceplates b/c I think that it provides a wonderfull tribute to ppl who devoted months and months of their time into making something that I will play for a few days, pick apart w/ a magnifying glass, then trade it back in for a @$$ pounding from gamestop or bb. I'd be looking if possible to go higher up on the superhero chain, maybe someone like stan lee??? What about Michael Keaton (batman), Michelle Pfifer (however you spell her name)(catwoman), Jack Nicholson (joker, R.I.P. Heath), Danny DeVeto(Penguin)? I'm personally waiting for a response back from Michael Phelps to sign my Olympics plate, and thank the heavens as well, the usa womens outdoor team was nearby for an event and they were signing autographs as well. Just a thought....
    Did you get the ladies' signatures on your plate?

I am DYING to get the "variations/additional photos" features up and running.

I don't know about the other actors. I mean, they all did those parts, but they're not known for being Batman, Penguin, etc. Lou Ferigno IS the Hulk, Lynda Carter IS Wonder Woman, etc. IMHO, Adam West IS Batman, so I would prefer his over the others. I mean, I wouldn't turn down a Christian Bale-signed Batman plate, but I wouldn't go to extraordinary lengths to get one, either. And I wouldn't get a Kilmer or Clooney unless it just totally fell into my lap. I'd rather get a Kilmer "Top Secret" plate. Now THAT I would go to some lengths to get.
    Last edited by SpaceGhost2K; 09-20-2008 at 04:01 PM.

I'd rather get a Kilmer "Top Secret" plate. Now THAT I would go to some lengths to get.
    Oh man that would rock! It had better have a cow on it!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Conchord Hidden Content
    And by "big" I mean purple, and by "gun" I mean vibrator.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by CarGuy Hidden Content
    cars are stupid and i hate them.

with order comes chaos OBL infad3ll's Avatar

spacey, do you just send the people an email asking them to sign a plate? both valve and bungie are not far from my house, maybe i could have them sign a plate.
    LIFE GOAL: to own all 600 faceplates in the gorillaz launch collection
    -current progress 1/600 Hidden Content

Hidden Content

They're my favorite kind of faceplates.

More. Much more in fact.

Depends on the situation. If I plan on selling it I'd probably want it on a retail plate. Like you though I like signed plates because they're more personal - It's something unique to me. I only sell a signed plate if I have a duplicate. I lean more toward custom plates because those are also unique (and in a lot of cases much better quality).

Again a case by case basis for me. I usually just have anyone that is signing join in, but that's because the ones signing are usually higher ups (actors, lead producers or programmers, etc.). If I'm at a signing and the lead voice/mo-cap actor is signing along with someone that animated part of an arm in 1 scene I might pass on the animator - however I've never been in a situation like that.

Game industry people for me, but that's because I want to be in it some day. I don't look up to movie stars that way I do gaming folks.
    That doesn't mean I would turn down a Val Kilmer signed "Top Secret" plate if it was offered though.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Conchord Hidden Content
    And by "big" I mean purple, and by "gun" I mean vibrator.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by CarGuy Hidden Content
    cars are stupid and i hate them.

Hey Spacey, do you have any pics of the Mass Effect, Dead Space/Mirror's Edge, Guitar Hero World Tour plates? Are they all part of your personal collection or...?

I haven't heard from you but is it safe to assume that you received your SW: TFU signed plate back along with the other goodies?

Also have you decided if you're coming up this week for the Saints Row 2/Fracture Events? Did you make a Saints Row 2 plate you'd like me to get signed in case you don't make it?

What's the word on the Lego Batman plates?
    Last edited by SuperMonkeyHero; 09-21-2008 at 05:35 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by OBL infad3ll View Post
    spacey, do you just send the people an email asking them to sign a plate? both valve and bungie are not far from my house, maybe i could have them sign a plate.
    good luck getting into the building, if bungie is anywhere as secretive as they are about their upcoming games and updates then you wont get past the front gate without red level clearance, alot of games publishers are extremely high security, i have a friend who's son works at Ubisoft Montreal and he cant even get it there is a lock on ever door in the building, there are no family days or anything of that sort.but ya emails would be your best bet, spacey just get to go to all the events where they are present like PAX and E3 and such.

tis117.com

1) who wouldnt like autographed plates

2) i like them just the same but seeing how it would be signed i would love it even more :-)

3) it really wouldnt matter to me as long as i get something signed its all good lol

4) for me i would have to know what theve done but i would like a dev team and mabye so MLG pros like karma yhslaw(walshy) ogre brothers and mabye some atheletes and bands and stuff

I made contact with some people at E3 and other events. In a couple of cases, they've tracked ME down. Re: Valve and Bungie - I would just track down their mailing addresses and send them a letter, asking if you could send a faceplate to them to be signed. You can forget getting in the building. When I say smoky glass and lasers, I AM NOT KIDDING.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMonkeyHero View Post
    Hey Spacey, do you have any pics of the Mass Effect, Dead Space/Mirror's Edge, Guitar Hero World Tour plates? Are they all part of your personal collection or...?

I haven't heard from you but is it safe to assume that you received your SW: TFU signed plate back along with the other goodies?

Also have you decided if you're coming up this week for the Saints Row 2/Fracture Events? Did you make a Saints Row 2 plate you'd like me to get signed in case you don't make it?

What's the word on the Lego Batman plates?
    Mass Effect:

Dead Space:

Mirror's Edge:

Guitar Hero World Tour:

SW:TFU signed (heh):

Right now, I have SW:TFU in my collection. I have a signed Mass Effect plate coming back from Edmonton next week. Dead Space plates are at the devs, being signed as we speak. I have materials to make two Mirror's Edge plates. One is done, the other is not. I made those with the intention of selling them but no one has really expressed interest. Sucks, because I put a lot of time and money into those because of the chrome plate and all the pieces. Guitar Hero World Tour signed plate, I have one in my collection.

I DID get the goodies from you, thank you a thousand times.

I never heard back from THQ about the Saints Row 2 Multiplayer thingy, while LucasArts has been very good about keeping me up to date on their event for Fracture. I got stickers made to make Fracture plates, but I'm about to run out of time. I had the same problem with the GHWT plates. They were literally still drying when I went to the event. The Fracture plates will probably be like that, too, if I get them done at all. LucasArts is starting their thing Wed night, same time as THQ, so I'm just going to put all my attention into that one. Sadly, there's an Activision event for Call of Duty 5, 007 Quantum of Solace and Spider Man also that same night, but in LA. I'd need to be three people to cover all of the events.

Travelers Tales guys were really excited about Lego Batman plates, but I can't find any of the figures. I got a Robin, a Joker and two Harley Quinn's at E3, but no Catwoman and I couldn't get a Batman at Comic Con. None of the stores got extras for their preorders (local stores only got Robins and Catwomans anyway - no Bats or Jokers). I did buy a gray Batman off eBay, but haven't started any plates because of all the other stuff going on.

I REALLY need to come up with some money for the trip to SF, so if someone wants something - either something I can do over the next two weeks or something that is already done - PM me. Hotel and food is paid for, but there's gas from Bakersfield to SF and back, parking, tips, etc.

Also, while I don't have a Saints Row 2 plate in the works, if some of the people who worked on Saints Row 1 are there, it would be cool to have them sign a SR1 plate. I have one here but I'm not sure I can get it to you in time. If you have an extra, I can replace it after the event.

The lone voice of reason. Symmetric-XBA's Avatar

i've got a saints row nz plate i could overnight you.

---------- 2011 XboxAddict Award: Most Addicted Addict ----------
    ---------- 2011 XboxAddict Award: Favorite Staffer ----------
    ---------- 2011 XboxAddict Award: Favorite Writer/Reviewer ----------
    THIS IS GOING TO BE HUGE! #XBA2016 MAKE XBA GREAT AGAIN!

Quote Originally Posted by Symmetric View Post
    i've got a saints row nz plate i could overnight you.
    Only if I can keep it.

OK, change of plans. I finally got emails from both people at THQ and they have a hotel booked for me already, so it looks like I AM going to both events. I'm going to meet Mike for SR2 on Wednesday, and then going to Fracture all day Thursday, and coming home Friday to work Friday night. Oi vey.

So, I'm going to take my Saints Row plates along with the Fracture plates if I even manage to get them done.

Quote Originally Posted by JakofallAces View Post
    good luck getting into the building, if bungie is anywhere as secretive as they are about their upcoming games and updates then you wont get past the front gate without red level clearance, alot of games publishers are extremely high security, i have a friend who's son works at Ubisoft Montreal and he cant even get it there is a lock on ever door in the building, there are no family days or anything of that sort.but ya emails would be your best bet, spacey just get to go to all the events where they are present like PAX and E3 and such.
    lol. ive actually been inside both. but that probably wont ever happen again, so emails it is!

Hidden Content

lol. ive actually been inside both. but that probably wont ever happen again, so emails it is!
    Yeah, it happens, but not without an appointment. I've been inside BioWare, Heavy Iron and Turn10. Other events I attended were held off-site. There's any combination of frosted windows, cameras, motion sensors, whole floors blocked off, etc.

Wow it's been a really long time since I posted, I've been dealing with some family issues, but the autographed plate topic really caught my eye. I'm a big Star Wars autograph collector, and I've sent a few plates I've done to actors from the films to sign. I did a Stormtrooper custom and it's been signed by six of the guys who played Troopers and did the stunts. I've also sent blank white plates to a few artist who did design work for the films and a few came back with sketches on them. As soon as I can I'll submit them to be added to the database. Also the Force Unleashed plate is great, I'm going to have to try and track down some of the actors from the game.

Yeah, it happens, but not without an appointment. I've been inside BioWare, Heavy Iron and Turn10. Other events I attended were held off-site. There's any combination of frosted windows, cameras, motion sensors, whole floors blocked off, etc.
    i wish they held more game release events here like they do in california. we didnt even get a halo 3 party! and bungie is in washington!! its madness.

Hidden Content

I like autographed, anything. It makes whatever it is, more valuable, and more rare. I would love to get my Rockets plate I made signed by Yao Ming, or the Chevelle plate you did for me signed. I would prefer a signed plate over a reg plate anyday. As for who signs it, depends on the plate. If it's for a game, then everyone involve that I could, engineers, producers, famous cameos, like GH:WT, you would have a ton of sweet autographs if you could get all the celebs on it, Ozzy, Travis Barker, Ted Nuggent, Billy Corgan, Zach Wyled, stuff like that. Your Force plate is going to kick ass, you got everyone on it, can't wait to see it.
    Autographed plates are the way to go if you can. The only autographed one I have is my Oscar De La Hoya one so far, but always looking for more.

Did you get the ladies' signatures on your plate?

I am DYING to get the "variations/additional photos" features up and running.

I don't know about the other actors. I mean, they all did those parts, but they're not known for being Batman, Penguin, etc. Lou Ferigno IS the Hulk, Lynda Carter IS Wonder Woman, etc. IMHO, Adam West IS Batman, so I would prefer his over the others. I mean, I wouldn't turn down a Christian Bale-signed Batman plate, but I wouldn't go to extraordinary lengths to get one, either. And I wouldn't get a Kilmer or Clooney unless it just totally fell into my lap. I'd rather get a Kilmer "Top Secret" plate. Now THAT I would go to some lengths to get.

Dude... A Spawn plate signed by MCFarlane.. fap fap fap

Lately, getting plates signed has been my focus. Because of attending events for XBA and through contacts I made at E3 and through other blogs and forums like hawtymcbloggy.com, I'm finding access to a lot of people I've never had access to before now.

Chris at BioWare said the Mass Effect plates are signed and on their way back. Ian at EA Redwood Shores is getting plates signed right now, plus some other members of the team are having me make custom plates especially for them. I made plates for Guitar Hero World Tour and Star Wars: The Force Unleashed that were both signed by the devs, SW along with actors and voices from the game as well.

So here are some questions to get some talkin' going on in here:

I like them, for a couple of reasons. First, while custom plates are more limited than retail plates, a signed custom is even more limited than that. A one of a kind (or two or three, whatever) plate in a once in a lifetime place, and there ya go. The people who signed the SW:TFU plate will probably never all be in the same place at the same time, ever again.

Second, I like them because I can focus them on ME. I have signed plates by Dr. Demento, Taj Mahal, Brad Bird and Tomonobu Itagaki. That "collection," is very distinctly "me." I'm working on making a plate for The Bangles, who KK and I just saw in concert Thursday night. PLUS...

I'll reveal my next major project. I'm going to try to get a bunch of superhero plates signed. It all started when I ran across contact information for Jackson Bostwick, who played Captain Marvel in "SHAZAM" back in the 70's when I was a kid. From there, I found an address for Joanna Cameron, who played "Isis." That got me off on a tangent. I haven't found contact info yet, but I know I can track down Lou Ferigno for "The Incredible Hulk," and Lynda Carter for "Wonder Woman." Might be a little harder, but I'm also going to shoot for William Katt of "The Greatest American Hero", Nicholas Hammond from "Spider Man", and Adam West from "Batman." Someone also mentioned **** Durock from "Swamp Thing" but I want to at least do something that I have a personal connection with. I saw the show but I wasn't a follower of the show, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I'm waiting for paint to dry so I'm typing a bunch.
    I would love to see your "BATMAN" work.. MY gal loves batman...

Thread Information