Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Attention all collectors!!!!!!!!!!

Well put as always space. I agree with everything you wrote. I was just throwing out some reasons (that I believe) why she was not feeling any love.

Value of collectibles is usually subjective. If she doesn't feel like she is getting what she perceives as fair then she should not sell. The market determines the objective price. If she doesn't want to sell her stuff at that price then I can respect that. For me when I sell things on ebay I start everything at .01 and let people decide what the item is worth. I have certainly lost money doing this but I have also made way more than I thought. That works for me and may not for her.
    Obviously this community is going to have an increased knowledge of what faceplates are worth.

I was not privy to all of the pricing only the two that I asked about. It just appears to really be a buyers market. A good example is one of those Team Xbox sealed plates that went for 90 then 47 within a month. Again I hope she gets whatever she wants for them plus.

One other thing. Can we all go out and spend a bunch of money this x-mas season? We need to stimulate the economy as my 401k is in the toilet.
    That was meant as a joke.

Seriously, economy is going to get worse before it gets better. At least that is true for us here in the US.

Yup, I understand your point. I do have a clarification on the TXB plates. There have been a number of them sold recently by the former owner and current manager of the site. Without this new source of plates, the going price for those plates would have remained high.
    Faceplates at Hidden Content
    Kinect at Hidden Content .

Banned

ya in terms of selling plates i got out at a rather good time making a pretty good profit which really helped, i hope you can get your asking price rae rae but it looks as though faceplates are becoming like the housing market....anyone wanna by a subprime mortgage for my X05 amsterdam plate???

The Ex-Faceplate Goddess moltenluv's Avatar

Yeah I didn't realize that things had changed since I last bought faceplates. I looked around eBay and it is sad. I watched an auction for an Infinite Undiscover plate priced around $45 close with no bidder. A single tear rolled down my eye. When I first made this thread I really thought I would have no problem unloading my entire collection. Boy oh boy was I wrong. I remember the good old days when some faceplates sold for upwards of $500 and now you are luck to see one go above $40. Oh well, hopefully things get better. It is honestly no big deal if I don't sell them. I was not doing it to make a quick buck or cause I needed the money. I was doing it to get them out of the way. They are in a box taking up space. I just figured since I am doing nothing with them that maybe somebody else would get more enjoyment from them.

Hellon earth159

Quote Originally Posted by mrpunchy View Post
    One other thing. Can we all go out and spend a bunch of money this x-mas season? We need to stimulate the economy as my 401k is in the toilet.
    That was meant as a joke.

Seriously, economy is going to get worse before it gets better. At least that is true for us here in the US.
    Hey...as everyone who knows me can attest to, I've been doing my part to end the recession for the last 6 months.
    Now it's up to the rest of you. I remeber a billboard sign in the early 90s that ready 'Spend a buck today. Buck the recession tomorrow.' This has never been more true.

I'm spending every dollar I make. I wish I could do more....

The first halo is BEST! FlawIe55's Avatar

If I may, I think that demand for faceplates has decreased in part because of the realization that a new platform will come out at some point. I don't know if there is an estimated time that the next xbox will come out, but if I had to guess, I would say that we have more than reached the half way point. Its a downhill slide to the next xbox so to speak. Now don't get me wrong, I believe in art, and appreciate the value of it, and thats what alot of these plates are. But, being that this art has a tie to technology(the xbox system), and technology changes so fast, we are seeing a decrease in demand for the plates. I can't really think of a comparable medium from the past. This is new territory, and yes some folks like spacey may continue to collect into the future, there will always be a select few who collect them, but a larger part of the collectors will fall off as time goes on. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by FlawIe55 View Post
    If I may, I think that demand for faceplates has decreased in part because of the realization that a new platform will come out at some point. I don't know if there is an estimated time that the next xbox will come out, but if I had to guess, I would say that we have more than reached the half way point. Its a downhill slide to the next xbox so to speak. Now don't get me wrong, I believe in art, and appreciate the value of it, and thats what alot of these plates are. But, being that this art has a tie to technology(the xbox system), and technology changes so fast, we are seeing a decrease in demand for the plates. I can't really think of a comparable medium from the past. This is new territory, and yes some folks like spacey may continue to collect into the future, there will always be a select few who collect them, but a larger part of the collectors will fall off as time goes on. Just my opinion.
    Always in motion is the future.

Well, let's look at older video game consoles. NES, SNES, Turbo Grafx, etc. There are people who collect those even to this day, but the number of those people is small. As gaming gets more years under its belt, more people will come of age and decide to collect historical gaming stuff. Still others will unload the stuff they've collected for years.

Going to my favorite Pez analogy, those few rare items will always go for mad money because their numbers are SO limited. I doubt that any faceplate of which there are were less than 200 made, will ever sell for less than $200. War of the Worlds, Moto GP, Prey, Canada X05 - three different ones, and so on... there will always be someone to buy those plates for good money. It's these marginal plates that are questionable. I paid $300 for my IdolM@ster Girls plate, and it was later available for as little as $100. But them I got an Infinite Undiscovery plate for less than $30. I am going to be patient with the Tales of Vesperia plate and keep my fingers crossed that garakuta comes up with some for around a hundred bucks.

Registered User tinytoonsbuster's Avatar

man, i'm sorry to hear that you're out of collecting. good luck selling your faceplates.

oh and since you are not selling your PREY faceplate i thought i'd note that i'm selling mine for $450 or best offer
    My Wishlist!
    X05 Canada - Maple Leaf Tile
    Star Ocean Japan Faceplate
    Tales of Vesperia Japan Faceplate

Moltenluv,
    Perhaps (just a suggestion) you could post the plates that you want to sell and the price for them? That way people will know what you want and you will not have to deal with pm's.

Ok the sale is temporarily done. I have sold all my custom faceplates except for the few I didn't want to sell. Other than that I have only had one person seriously interested in one of my non-custom faceplates. I wanted to sell the entire collection not one. Oh well. So I have decided that maybe I will try again in the future to sell all my non-custom faceplates. Keep saving your pennies kids and if you somehow manage to get about 800,000 of them you can buy yourself a very nice faceplate collection

The first halo is BEST! FlawIe55's Avatar

molten, I hope like myself you will still come thru the forums and view and contribute to the topics.(im sure you have a vast amount of faceplate knowledge)

Btw...I finished little link 2of2, dont know if you noticed. I know you arent interested in picking it up anymore which is fine, I worked out a deal with space for a cubs plate, but I think you will appreciate it, i think its better than the first one.

I just went and looked. Awww, he is just so cute. You did an excellent job on this one! Glad you found him a home. Hahahah it figures I stop collecting and you finish the Link plate at the same time. Guess it just wasn't meant to be

I just found out that my employment opportunities may be improving a bit. If so, I can probably work something out to relieve you of a few of those.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by moltenluv View Post
    Ok the sale is temporarily done. I have sold all my custom faceplates except for the few I didn't want to sell. Other than that I have only had one person seriously interested in one of my non-custom faceplates. I wanted to sell the entire collection not one. Oh well. So I have decided that maybe I will try again in the future to sell all my non-custom faceplates. Keep saving your pennies kids and if you somehow manage to get about 800,000 of them you can buy yourself a very nice faceplate collection
    8k for your collection, damn rae rae you have high standards but all the best in getting a buyer for that price, have you even tried ebay yet? though i dont thats your style, also i <3 mcdonalds milkshakes and they have been getting tons of bad rep and i can confirm they dont make you fat OR purple, they do make you extremely self conscious and the butt of ALL your friends jokes if you have one in their vacinity, also i have been rooting for that cat in your sig to get that butterfly for like 30 minutes its such a good jumper and has amazing stamina, also hope you break your silent treatment of me soon, oh and good job on the gamerscore once u catch up to me i might start trying again

Well, I don't have the Gears of War plates that she has to offer, but Gears plates are selling well on eBay. If I were you, 'luv, I'd go ahead and list those.

The spendy plates, no way. Better to sit on them and get what you want, then to give them away.

Quote Originally Posted by JakofallAces View Post
    8k for your collection, damn rae rae you have high standards but all the best in getting a buyer for that price, have you even tried ebay yet? though i dont thats your style, also i <3 mcdonalds milkshakes and they have been getting tons of bad rep and i can confirm they dont make you fat OR purple, they do make you extremely self conscious and the butt of ALL your friends jokes if you have one in their vacinity, also i have been rooting for that cat in your sig to get that butterfly for like 30 minutes its such a good jumper and has amazing stamina, also hope you break your silent treatment of me soon, oh and good job on the gamerscore once u catch up to me i might start trying again
    I know it sounds like alot but I have what like 100 non-custom faceplates to sell. That ends up being $80 a faceplate which actually isn't too bad. The only reason my figure is that high is because of some of the more expensive faceplates I have. Moto GP cost me a pretty penny and so did Prey and the 2 Canadian ones as well as a few others.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by moltenluv View Post
    I know it sounds like alot but I have what like 100 non-custom faceplates to sell. That ends up being $80 a faceplate which actually isn't too bad. The only reason my figure is that high is because of some of the more expensive faceplates I have. Moto GP cost me a pretty penny and so did Prey and the 2 Canadian ones as well as a few others.
    yay you replied to me the silence has been BROKEN AYAYYAYAYYAY

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceGhost2K-XBA View Post
    Well, I don't have the Gears of War plates that she has to offer, but Gears plates are selling well on eBay. If I were you, 'luv, I'd go ahead and list those.

The spendy plates, no way. Better to sit on them and get what you want, then to give them away.
    I agree. Those gears plates are selling on ebay as the market is hot for that right now.

Thread Information