Thread: Using a USB key as a memory unit on the original Xbox

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Using a USB key as a memory unit on the original Xbox

Hey, I have an old Xbox 1 kicking around that has just been collecting dust since I got my 360, I recently decided to look into using a USB flash drive as a memory card for it.

There are lots of articles on the web about it, here's an example.

I have a cord that goes into the controller port, and has a female USB connector on the other end. I know it's against the rules to talk about modding the xbox, but for all you know I could be talking about the first-party cord that Microsoft made for Phantasy Star Online

I verified that my xbox wasn't a 1.6 model and that it had the right version of the dashboard, I picked up a 1GB GXT mobile data drive (which is reported to work on this list).

When I plug the flash drive into the dongle, the xbox simply doesn't do anything. I've tried booting the xbox with the device already plugged in, and I've tried plugging it in while the xbox was powered on, but it won't do anything to recognize the device.

Edit: sometimes the activity light comes on on the flash drive. It comes on solid though, instead of flickering like you'd expect it to. I tried this with a couple different 1GB flash drives

Does anybody have any advice for me? I hope I'm not breaking any rules, for the sake of this thread, I'm not asking about modding, I just want to be able to use a bigger memory unit.
    Last edited by ALC; 03-15-2009 at 01:55 AM. Reason: typos

Thread Information