Thread: Using a USB key as a memory unit on the original Xbox

Question Using a USB key as a memory unit on the original Xbox

Hey, I have an old Xbox 1 kicking around that has just been collecting dust since I got my 360, I recently decided to look into using a USB flash drive as a memory card for it.

There are lots of articles on the web about it, here's an example.

I have a cord that goes into the controller port, and has a female USB connector on the other end. I know it's against the rules to talk about modding the xbox, but for all you know I could be talking about the first-party cord that Microsoft made for Phantasy Star Online

I verified that my xbox wasn't a 1.6 model and that it had the right version of the dashboard, I picked up a 1GB GXT mobile data drive (which is reported to work on this list).

When I plug the flash drive into the dongle, the xbox simply doesn't do anything. I've tried booting the xbox with the device already plugged in, and I've tried plugging it in while the xbox was powered on, but it won't do anything to recognize the device.

Edit: sometimes the activity light comes on on the flash drive. It comes on solid though, instead of flickering like you'd expect it to. I tried this with a couple different 1GB flash drives

Does anybody have any advice for me? I hope I'm not breaking any rules, for the sake of this thread, I'm not asking about modding, I just want to be able to use a bigger memory unit.
    Last edited by ALC; 03-15-2009 at 01:55 AM. Reason: typos

What are you trying to do exactly?

Trying to use the Flash drive as a memory card? Or?

Hidden Content bgcolor="#000000">Hidden Content name="flashvars" value="hostname=Hidden Content href="Hidden Content style="padding:2px 0px 4px; display:block; width:345px; font-weight:normal; font-size:10px;text-decoration:underline; text-align:center;">Watch live video from ainokeato on Hidden Content href="Hidden Content target="_blank">Hidden Content

Yeah, In an ideal situation, the xbox would recognize the device and format it to its proprietary FATX filesystem. But when i plug in the usb sticks, the xbox doesn't do anything at all.

I don't know if it's supposed to throw an error every time if the device isn't compatible, or if it just doesn't do anything.

I'd like to know if my cord is defective, or if it's the usb sticks causing problems
    Last edited by ALC; 03-15-2009 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ALC View Post
    Yeah, In an ideal situation, the xbox would recognize the device and format it to its proprietary FATX filesystem. But when i plug in the usb sticks, the xbox doesn't do anything at all.

I don't know if it's supposed to throw an error every time if the device isn't compatible, or if it just doesn't do anything.

I'd like to know if my cord is defective, or if it's the usb sticks causing problems
    i went through the same thing with my sandisk cruzer micro.. did some digging around on the internet and thinking outside the box... lol pun-age.. anyway the solution i figured out was these simple steps... use computer to format the flash drive to FAT file system. then connect to xbox and go to file explorer of my softmodded box and format the flash drive. then re connect to the pc and click properties on the my computer view of the computer on the flash drive and see that it says RAW as the flash drives filesystem type. and if all that has checked out. reconnect the flash drive to the xbox via dongle. and go to the memory view of the ms dashboard and see if its reading the flashdrive as a memory unit.

thanks you !!!!!

I tried to use a USB drive , 2 different ones actually to transfer memory over from my old xbox 360 to the new black xbox 360 and was unsucessful. I ended up just paying the dough for a transfer kit then traded it back in when I was done with it

You guys do realize this is a thread about the original Xbox right?
    [CENTER]Hidden Content
    Thanks Donatello for the sig!

8. Thread Information