Thread: Make your own professional faceplate

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Make your own professional faceplate

THE FACEPLATE ADDICT STORE AND DESIGN STUDIO IS UP!

www.faceplateaddict.com

The links to the Faceplate Store and the Design Your Own Studio are in the upper left.

THE ONLY RESTRICTION RIGHT NOW is that that you have to use Internet Explorer. They're working on getting it to work with Firefox but it's not ready yet.

When you clink on the "FACEPLATE STORE", it will take you to the front page of the site, which looks line this:

Don't worry about anything on the front page right now except for two buttons across the first row: Products and Design Your Own.

If you go to Products, it will let you choose which gadget you're interested in, and then you can see the designs available for that particular gadget. Some designs are offered on PSP plates but not on Xbox plates, and vice versa. You can choose from a large number of solid colors, and a large number of patterns, many of those similar patterns available in different colors.

In the future, there will be many, many more images to choose from. I have submitted over 100 additional images that will eventually be made available on the site. I'm also hoping to secure game images through my trip to E3 so that you can make plates for your favorite games.

I should clarify that there are rules concerning which images are "legally" acceptable to be printed on plates. I've got an actual description as part of a picture later in the tutorial, so I'll wait until then to go over that part. For now though, I expect that the most popular part of the site will be the design studio.
    Last edited by SpaceGhost2K; 07-06-2009 at 03:41 PM.
    Faceplates at Hidden Content
    Kinect at Hidden Content .

When you click on "DESIGN YOUR OWN", it will take you to a page with three drop-down boxes. The first asks you what gadget you're looking for. You can choose music players, cellphones, etc. In this case, you want Game Consoles. The next window will ask you Sony or Xbox. Choose Sony if you want to make a PSP faceplate, or Xbox if you want to make an Xbox faceplate. Then it will ask you which console. There are three different PSP's but only one XBox 360 so choose that one.

Then, this page will open up:

You have four places where you can start: Background, Images, Text and Symbols.

Looking towards the bottom, there is a button for completely removing everything and starting over, a help button (that I honestly have not looked at yet), and a button to signify that you are done.

Inside the template window, you can stack images, and change the order of the layers to get the effect you want. Once a layer is selected, you can drag it to the trash can to remove it from the composition.

Also, if you're doing plates other than an Xbox 360 plates, like a cellphone cover or a PSP cover, those have multiple sides. The "sides" button lets you switch between sides.
    Last edited by SpaceGhost2K; 06-09-2009 at 01:43 AM.

If you select the "Background" option, you'll see this:

There is a pallete of colors, and three sets of six backgrounds. If you want a solid color for a background, just pick a color.

If you want one of the other backgrounds, they work differently. The first six are already colored, and if you choose one of them, it will be tiled across the plate to make a uniform background. The second six are black and gray and stay that way, regardless of the color you choose. The third six are light gray, and they will change color as you select different colors.
    Last edited by SpaceGhost2K; 05-30-2009 at 03:22 AM.

The text features looks like this:

To be honest, it's pretty spartan. Three fonts, zoom and rotate but no stretch or skew, and color change. No shadow or anything. Unless the text you want is the simplest of simple, this probably won't be anything you'll ever do. If you want text, I'll tell you a little lower how I would handle it.

Symbols are kinda odd. I can see where it would be nice to have a symbol, like your own logo, but it's something that you would want only available to YOU, like if you wanted to "sign" your plate with a logo. I wouldn't make an "SG2K" logo and then stick it out there for the world to make SG2K plates, ya knowutImean?

But there are some interesting generic symbols on here, and some of them look particularly good if you play with the zoom and rotate, and combine it with some background color.

Play around with them. You can't hurt anything. (God, I hope, lol.)

The most frequently used part of the site will be the Images part. If you click Images, it will open a browser window so that you can find the images that you want to use, located somewhere on your computer.

If you look at the few I have in that folder, there are two black ones and a white one. The image program does not make white "invisible." If I uploaded that picture with the white background and green rings onto a plate where I set the background to black, there will be a large white square with green circles on it, NOT black peeking through the green circles. In this case, were I to make a plate with the Godfather logo or the koi fish, I should set the background to black, and then import the pictures.

Because it doesn't make stacked layers transparent, just like the text, I suggest you do all of your "adjusting" in an outside graphics program, whether that's MSPaint or Gimp or Photoshop or Corel or whatever. (Don't save as .bmp. Use .jpg, .jpeg, .gif or .png.)

Ive been using the template for the Nyko Game Face to make some designs and its not really working out, i assume its because the inserts for the Game Face are larger than normal faceplates because they have to slip into the shell and cover the plate.

So if i want to make a design specifically for Faceplate Addict is there a template or dimensions i should use?

Its also hard to get a good idea of how my faceplate is lining up in the editor, the desinger interface is kind of small and its hard to distinguish between the beginning of hard drive/end of console. And then the preview is even smaller. Is there any way you can change this stuff? i assume the answer is no.
    Looking for Quake IV plate, knockoff or real.

Hellon earth159

What graphics editing tool are you using. I have multi-layered template for Paintshop Pro Photo that I use.
    PM me with your email address and I send it to you.

I have a template but it doesn't line up perfectly with the pseudo-faceplate in the design studio. It's really designed more for the "manufactured" process where they do a run of plates.

My recommendation for people using the studio is to use an image editor, make an image 12" x 4" and at least 100 dop (300 dpi is better). Then just fill the image area with your pictures. Load the pic into the design studio, see what needs to be tweaked, and then go back into the editor. Keep going back and forth until you get what you want.

For anyone looking for some help designing here is a template of the Xbox 360 Faceplate. This is a really large template (about 50"x18") that hellonearth sent me. The original .pspimage is there and so is the .PSD i made out of it (which i also cleaned up a little).

I put it on rapidshare because im a member so it wont expire and its one of the less annoying hosting sites.

http://rapidshare.com/files/26821622...tetemplate.zip

I find it more helpful to make your design a square slightly larger than the faceplate so its easier to fit onto the FacePlate Addict Designer.
    Looking for Quake IV plate, knockoff or real.

Hi Score,What's that mean Kiddingo's Avatar

I am working on one right now, but I don't want the image distorted when I upload it. What is the recommended image size for a 360 faceplate?

Thread Information