Thread: question for Collectors

Northern Newb

Question question for Collectors

How is it that many of you come into possession of these plates and custom Xbox... a lot of them look really sweet...

you've answered yourself !!

because they are sweet and we like them.

all the collectionist collect because they like their objects.

they collect everything: watches ,coins , game console ...

Northern Newb

Quote Originally Posted by pierrevincy View Post
    you've answered yourself !!

because they are sweet and we like them.

all the collectionist collect because they like their objects.

they collect everything: watches ,coins , game console ...
    no no I mean like where do people get them from like does Microsoft give them away or do people have to make them or where do they come from...

Most of the time different game companies have them made to promote their games, and are given away in contest, same goes for those made for movies. Others are sold for charity and others are just retail LEs.
    Last edited by MoonTar; 12-05-2010 at 09:48 AM.

Northern Newb

Quote Originally Posted by MoonTar View Post
    Most of the time different game companies have them made to promote their games, and are given away in contest, same goes for those made for movies. Others are sold for charity and others are just retail LEs.
    So like how do people try to 'win' one in a compition... like were are they announced...

They announce contest or sweepstakes on the websites of the companies giving them away. Sometimes they are mentioned on Xbox Live. The only way you can "try" to win them is simply by entering the contest. Collectors usually buy them from people who win them because the winners would rather have money if they don't really need an Xbox 360.

Northern Newb

ah alright... thanks for the clarification...

1) Some were available for purchase in stores. Those are the easiest.
    2) Some are free with preorder of the game or a console, often in foreign countries, especially Japan. (Lot of Tom Clancy stuff was AU or UK only.)
    3) Some are made by the company and given out at events like E3 or just mailed to select media like websites or VIPs.
    4) Some are made by people like us, either professionally printed or just custom painted or drawn.
    5) Probably the most collectible are those plates that were made for launch events, like Canadian or Swedish launch, Zero Hour, UK launch, US launch team "I Made This", Korean launch, etc.
    6) Certain plates were made in super low quantities at a high expense. They're covered in 24k gold foil or Swarovski jewels, or they're solid sterling silver or designed by a super celebrity.
    Faceplates at Hidden Content
    Kinect at Hidden Content .

Northern Newb

So how does one get a blank plate... because I am fairly good with an airbrush and could probably make some...

Quote Originally Posted by ``Rob View Post
    So how does one get a blank plate... because I am fairly good with an airbrush and could probably make some...
    There was such a problem with units being repaired that there are people selling white plates by the dozen on eBay. However, I only went that direction if I specifically needed a "chill white" plate.

The Blue Hot Rod, Woody, and Carbon Fiber plates from Microsoft were cleared out through .99 stores. I bought over 200 of them to use for customs. There are a lot of them on eBay right now and I doubt seriously that they're selling very fast. I would find a buyer with multiple listings, and send them a message asking if you could have a deal if you bought a stack of them.

Spray them with a plastic-friendly primer (I use clear then paint a coat of white, but you can get white plastic primer - I just don't like it as much). Spray it with a light colored base coat because those cover up the base image better. They paint as desired.

I probably have 50 plates still left, and I could remove them from the package so they would cost less to ship, but I'd want $1.50 a piece for the hassle, plus shipping. and I don't want to mess with it for, like, two plates, unless you wanted to just pay ten bucks and call it done.

Northern Newb

I ment plates for the slim... but I'm talking to a friend about buying his 360... and if I get that then Ill deff get a few plates from you...

I ment plates for the slim... but I'm talking to a friend about buying his 360... and if I get that then Ill deff get a few plates from you...
    The slim doesn't have a removable front, and no one has made one that clips on (probably because the touch sensors have to still be accessible.)

If you want to customize the appearance of a slim, you have to go with skins.

Northern Newb

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceGhost2K-XBA View Post
    The slim doesn't have a removable front, and no one has made one that clips on (probably because the touch sensors have to still be accessible.)

If you want to customize the appearance of a slim, you have to go with skins.
    Well I might be grabbing the 360 as I can get it for a low cost of $100.00 and it comes with 2 games...

Well I might be grabbing the 360 as I can get it for a low cost of $100.00 and it comes with 2 games...
    I hope you know your friend well, I always make it a point not to buy second hand electronics. Mostly because if I get screwed I can return it. With the 360 broken 360's can be made to look like they work for at least a few days up to a few weeks using something called "The towel trick". It's where RRoD'd 360's are wrapped with towels and purposely overheated, not only is it a huge fire risk it's only a temporary fix and will only hurt your console as if MS finds out you've done said trick they'll refuse to fix it free even if it's under warranty.

Hidden Content bgcolor="#000000">Hidden Content name="flashvars" value="hostname=Hidden Content href="Hidden Content style="padding:2px 0px 4px; display:block; width:345px; font-weight:normal; font-size:10px;text-decoration:underline; text-align:center;">Watch live video from ainokeato on Hidden Content href="Hidden Content target="_blank">Hidden Content

Northern Newb

Quote Originally Posted by Ainokeatoo-XBA View Post
    I hope you know your friend well, I always make it a point not to buy second hand electronics. Mostly because if I get screwed I can return it. With the 360 broken 360's can be made to look like they work for at least a few days up to a few weeks using something called "The towel trick". It's where RRoD'd 360's are wrapped with towels and purposely overheated, not only is it a huge fire risk it's only a temporary fix and will only hurt your console as if MS finds out you've done said trick they'll refuse to fix it free even if it's under warranty.
    Ya its the wifeys brother...

Ya its the wifeys brother...
    Ah, that's good then, how old is the xbox? If it isn't the newer model then you'll need a wireless adapter if you plan on going wireless.

Hidden Content bgcolor="#000000">Hidden Content name="flashvars" value="hostname=Hidden Content href="Hidden Content style="padding:2px 0px 4px; display:block; width:345px; font-weight:normal; font-size:10px;text-decoration:underline; text-align:center;">Watch live video from ainokeato on Hidden Content href="Hidden Content target="_blank">Hidden Content

Northern Newb

Quote Originally Posted by Ainokeatoo-XBA View Post
    Ah, that's good then, how old is the xbox? If it isn't the newer model then you'll need a wireless adapter if you plan on going wireless.
    it comes with a 100` ethernet cable so I think its the older model...

most get there stuff from preorders or for the very rare stuff ebay .

don't worry about buying second hand even if your console breaks down
    you can sell it on faulty on ebay there lots of people buy to fix .
    but i bet you can get a console cheaper than $100 for a old console .

Northern Newb

Quote Originally Posted by angeto View Post
    most get there stuff from preorders or for the very rare stuff ebay .

don't worry about buying second hand even if your console breaks down
    you can sell it on faulty on ebay there lots of people buy to fix .
    but i bet you can get a console cheaper than $100 for a old console .
    ya your right, I found one for $75.00... just mins from my house... comes with 2 remotes... and a few games...

20. Thread Information