Thread: What makes a limited edition console worth all that money?

Default What makes a limited edition console worth all that money?

1) Is it because it's rare? Generally, there are around ten produced, but sometimes it's 1-3, and sometimes it's a couple hundred.

2) Is it because of what's on it? The Beatles Rock Band has probably gone for as much as any console, not counting consoles 100% covered in Swarovski's or something. That was more than Alan Wake, which is more than Batman The Dark Knight.

3) Is it just a ratio that depends on the value of the base item? A faceplate is $20 so a rare one is $200. A console is $200 so a rare one is $2,000?

Most of these consoles are produced by Colorware from Minnesota.

So, I'm working on my own game. It's not, like, pre-alpha. More like, pre-alphabet. Story outline is in place but unwritten. Character concept art has had significant work done. Game mechanics are under discussion. The game has actually been pitched to a couple of studios that passed, not because of the quality of the game but because the studios were taking a different direction. (The game was very much like what those studios were known for, previously.)

I'd like to get your opinion on this idea. What if I had ten limited edition consoles produced, and used the money from selling the consoles to fund kick-off development of the game? Would anyone be interested, or, would people only be interested once the game was done?

I mean, Child of Eden is coming. It's been publicly demoed. But imagine if a console was made to promote it and then the game was canceled? Shining Lore, Strident: The Shadow Front, The Unseen, NBA Elite were all well underway and promoted before being scrapped. Would a "The Unseen" Xbox be worth more or less because of that? Would its value be nothing since the game ceased to exist, or did it "exist enough" to justify fighting over five "The Unseen" Xboxes?

I'm new to all of this, but it seems to me like you would need about $50,000 so that you could take two guys and meet their needs for six months so they could do nothing else except work on a demo.

I'm just talking out loud here, but I'm interested in hearing impressions.
    Faceplates at Hidden Content
    Kinect at Hidden Content .

Feeding my pet moose HaZarD SFD's Avatar

I am interested in the Limited Console Idea but the game has to have a good foothold and looking like a real hit. Cant sell something if the product looks bad. Im sure you get what im trying to say here.

Example:
    Xenogears (If anyone has played this) has probably the best storyline ive seen in any game. Its probably the best RPG I have played but to find a copy of the game now is almost non existant and they are expensive.
    http://www.amazon.com/Xenogears-Play.../dp/B000038IFX
    I would kill to get a limited edition PS with a theme on it from this game.

Now I think the console cost would be considerably less pre game launch. Also since its been known in the past for a game to flop before release alot of people will stay away from purchasing till the game comes out.

The lone voice of reason. Symmetric-XBA's Avatar

I think a ltd. edt. console would be a good launch item of a game, however, not before a game's release. Like ya said, if the game gets canned, then you have essentially sold someone an xbox for WAY over what they could normally pay. There has to be a product to tie in to, not a great product, but some form of product, in order to establish the credibility of the console. Try looking for investors for your project as your primary source of revenue before you start thinking of funding this "maybe" project with overpriced consoles. Lets say you sell your 10 ltd. edt. consoles for $2,000 a piece. That would total $20k. Now imagine how pissed off someone would be to know that they have essentially thrown away $2,000 if the game never got released? There is no product to tie the console to, so there is no difference between that and if someone just took a magic marker and drew jibberish on a blank white console. The reason the Beatles console sells for so much and the other consoles as well, is because there is a mammoth product that they tie the console to.
    Last edited by Symmetric-XBA; 12-08-2010 at 01:18 PM.

---------- 2011 XboxAddict Award: Most Addicted Addict ----------
    ---------- 2011 XboxAddict Award: Favorite Staffer ----------
    ---------- 2011 XboxAddict Award: Favorite Writer/Reviewer ----------
    THIS IS GOING TO BE HUGE! #XBA2016 MAKE XBA GREAT AGAIN!

Default i know

its hard to say ,
    ive sold a few limited consoles . and id say if the console looks great its a big plus take the two thq console ive had red fraction awesome very nice art
    but the best is the darksiders console very nice simple also these are marked 1/10 2/10 etc
    ive also seen a toy story 3 console with thq logos on it it was made for thq to pitch to pixar there game idea , but they never ended up making the game
    only 3 of this consoles exist how much do you think its worth ??

the game may not be made yet but what about the comic if you have a lot of art then a mini comic could be made

Thread Information