Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enjoy playing XBOX on a 100" TV for $10 (on ebay, not a scam)

Default Enjoy playing XBOX on a 100" TV for $10 (on ebay, not a scam)

I don't think a lot of Xbox gamers out there know about this 100" TV Projection lens that costs $10 US on ebay (with shipping).

Its gaining a lot of publicity and more people are finding out about it. I bought mine about a month ago. I don't use it because I have yet to get a 13" TV, but I know it works fine.

The reason I don't use it is because I don't have a 13" TV. It works with 13" to 19" TVs but I dont like the quality on my 19" TV. The middle is all right, but the sides get a bit blurry. When i get my 13" TV, I'll set it up.

If you wan't, go to www.ebay.com and look up "100" and "TV".

or goto http://cq-search.ebay.ca/search/sear...ty=MetaEndSort

All it is, is a thing paper sized plastic sheet with curves that allow the image to be magnified into a bigger size. Thats why it costs $10. It probably costs about $1 to make, but its in so high demand that theyre selling it for $10.

looks like this: /|/|/|/|/|/|/| |\|\|\|\|\|\|\ from the side.

If you have any questions ask me or look at my pictures.

This is the perfect item for any tight budgetted gamer. And it works!! Just make sure you are using a 13" TV. It works best with a 13" tv.

* The picture is a bit curved because I didn't tape the lens onto the cardboard well enough.

Tell you what, the curved thing he is talking about is called a frensel lense. It is a lense that is used for overhead projectors....You can pick one up at any office supply store for about $3-$4 dollars. Since I am such a nice guy I will even provide a free link that tells you how to make the projector. I haven't made mine yet but I am going to try once I have enough time....Tell me how it turns out! ENJOY!

http://bstvcentral.b0x.com/

hey wwfomaniac if that is the setup on the bottom picture, I know why it is blurry around the ends, check the link and you will see as well, I believe you need the frensel lense as a circle, and size (of the tv) dosn't matter (only on this project ).
    Last edited by Shaggy; 03-14-2002 at 05:52 PM.

Don't waste your money let alone time. It is a fresnel lens that you can purchase at any Barnes & Nobles or office supply store. It is a full page magnifier.

The instructions are free online if you do want to make it. Can't remember the link at the moment.

Overall the outcome sucks. It is a fun novelty at best. Besides your tv must be turned upside down, and left is right and right is left. Makes playing games hard unless you complicate the setup by using mirrors to reverse the image. Also with your tv upside down you can get some color bleeding and even ruin your tv where it needs to get degaussed.

Don't give those punks on Ebay your money though.
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

Yeah I've been to that website too. I knew it was fresnel. But you claim you can get it at any office supply store??

Can you get it at a store like future shop or Office Depot (staples in canada). ????

Originally posted by Lynxfx
    Don't waste your money let alone time. It is a fresnel lens that you can purchase at any Barnes & Nobles or office supply store. It is a full page magnifier.

The instructions are free online if you do want to make it. Can't remember the link at the moment.

Overall the outcome sucks. It is a fun novelty at best. Besides your tv must be turned upside down, and left is right and right is left. Makes playing games hard unless you complicate the setup by using mirrors to reverse the image. Also with your tv upside down you can get some color bleeding and even ruin your tv where it needs to get degaussed.

Don't give those punks on Ebay your money though.

The colour bleeding is only true if your TV cannot stand upside down. I know that many TVs can be turned upside down.... others no. I know that my Sanyo TV cant be. If you do turn your TV upside down and colour changes, turn it back... you could ruin it if you leave it longterm. Like the "Dont stick magnets near tv's rule"

The left is right and right is left thing is false. It project perfectly on the wall. You are hearing this from someone who has it. Can you please find the link for me on the barnes and noble website?

Yeah I made one too. The image is reversed.

Yes Office Depot carries them, Staples and Barnes and Nobles. It is for people that have trouble seeing. They lay it on a page of a book and it is 2x or 3x bigger.

I don't have a link. Just go to their store.
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

That is right on!

Yeah I've been to that website too. I knew it was fresnel. But you claim you can get it at any office supply store??
    I got one from office max for ~$4, all it is overhead projector magnifying lense (like in high school) they are pretty common. Honestly you can get them anywhere!

I haven't tried but from what I heard the image is reversed as well. you need mirrors to filp it back to normal. This is a getto projector, it is like LYNXFX said, this is a novelty item.

Oh sorry. What I thought Lynx meant that after you turn the TV, its still horizontally reversed. I don't think the quality is that bad. the only problems is in reading small words. I honestly don't think its bad. If you wanted, you could make the screen smaller. It seems to work fine... I'm going to head over to office depot and buy another one.

It is reversed, but all you hafta do is turn your tv upside down.

I mean reversed like you were looking in a mirror. Left is right, right is left.

If normally Player 1 is on the left side of the screen and Player 2 is on the right side, then with the projected image Player 1 is now on the right side and Player 2 is on the left. Then to move you must push left to go right or right to go left. Think of it like driving a battlebot that got flipped upside down.

The writing is also reversed so it looks like an Ambulance. That is why it isn't good for gaming even if you do get it focused right. Setting up a mirror is a pain in the arse.
    ---Hidden Content ---

In addition to the image being reversed, the quality will SUCK as well. Images look really nice on small screens because the pixel density per inch is really high. Expand this out to a 100" screen and the pixel density goes down proportionately. Until they start making 13"-19" HDTVs forget about this. It's just a low budget, ghetto, front projection TV.

Well, I have a thought.

What if you combined to lenses? You would not need to turn the TV upside down but you would still get projection. Or would you? Anyway, if the lenses were positioned a small distance apart, you would have the correct positioning on the wall without losing to much sharpness wouldnt you?

Ahh, just my 2 cents.

Originally posted by Romo28
    Well, I have a thought.

What if you combined to lenses? You would not need to turn the TV upside down but you would still get projection. Or would you? Anyway, if the lenses were positioned a small distance apart, you would have the correct positioning on the wall without losing to much sharpness wouldnt you?

Ahh, just my 2 cents.
    I doubt that would work... but its an idea.

I put this thread up so that mayeb some ppl would be interested. Its cheap and I think its better than playing a a small TV. This is a great idea for those who play on smaller TVs. It may not be as ideal for ppl with 24" > tv screen... but its an idea.

Frostberg

or you can just buy a real HDTV projector...

Or you can buy one of these...

And get the best quality

lol..... those are thousand of dollars for a good one.

Frostberg

Originally posted by wwfomaniac
    lol..... those are thousand of dollars for a good one.
    Thats the price of quality, and something that works!

Originally posted by Romo28
    Well, I have a thought.

Ahh, just my 2 cents.
    I think you would just decrease the light output and double the distortion.

Well... in the case of "ban for your buck", this lens serves well. For $10 (or less).... You can easily manage to make at least a 60" TV from a 13" tv.

A real projector would cost in the thousands... and why not just buy a big screen??

So... thats why I posted this. Because its a good deal and not a lot of money to waste. If are playing on a 32" TV, wouldnt you rather play on a 60"+ TV??

SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!11

i know. i've made one... you get what you paid for. and because you paid $15 for it, you get a 100" screen but since it's sooo blurry, it's idiotic and useless...

i'd rather be playing on a 32" sharp screen than a blurry ass 60" image on my wall.

Thread Information