Thread: New to Xbox

Default New to Xbox

Hi , I have been a fan in Australia waiting for X-Box to be released , now it has been , and I bought the platform , dvd controller and Halo (of course). I have some questions how to do things, I have been up to date with development of the X-Box however, when I got it home, it was below expectations , or is thier twinking to do.

It said that it will have support for media files and MP3 playback, how can I upload audio files. I want to look at trailers on the X-Box and listen to MP3's

The DVD Playback Unit only plays Region 4, can i purchase the playback unit from US and play region 1 dvds.

Now it runs Windows CE operating system, can files be accessed.

The manual tells nothing, thats why I have asked these questions.

Agis

Default Re: New to Xbox

Originally posted by Agis
    Hi , I have been a fan in Australia waiting for X-Box to be released , now it has been , and I bought the platform , dvd controller and Halo (of course). I have some questions how to do things, I have been up to date with development of the X-Box however, when I got it home, it was below expectations , or is thier twinking to do.

It said that it will have support for media files and MP3 playback, how can I upload audio files. I want to look at trailers on the X-Box and listen to MP3's

The DVD Playback Unit only plays Region 4, can i purchase the playback unit from US and play region 1 dvds.

Now it runs Windows CE operating system, can files be accessed.

The manual tells nothing, thats why I have asked these questions.

Agis
    I wouldn't exactly call those below expectations. But anyways,
    1) You have to make audio discs for the xbox to be able to read them. Use CD-RW and not CD-R's. You'll have better luck, and of course you won't be wasting a bunch of cds to get your tunes to the Xbox. The Xbox will not play MP3's or anything other than Games/Dvds/Audio Cd's for now. (A hack will probably be introduced that lets you play Mp3s later down the line.)

2) I've never heard of a DVD player that plays dvd's from different regions. I think you are SOL there. Obviously the Dvd Controller kit cannot change the way the DVD-ROM reads DVD's...

3) It does not run Windows CE it runs a modified version of the Win2000 kernel and unless you dismantle your XBox, pull out the hard drive, put it into a pc and use a special program.. you will NOT be able to see the files. Remember, its a gaming console... not a PC. There isn't that much you can do with the files on the hard-drive either... its just going to be saved games. And lastly, the Xbox uses a proprietery filesystem that we hackers haven't had much success with.

Anymore questions, ask away! And congrats on the awesome purchase!

Lates,
    Dre
    The weak shall perish.
    Hidden Content

heres a prev post on sum cdrs that work:

i will keep updating as i test em
    work:
    TDK 74min CDRW
    TDK 80min CDRW
    Memorex 74min CDRW
    Hong Kong Silvers cdr(1 worked, 1 didnt)
    memorex cd-rw 80min
    vivastar cdr
    Imation 74 CD-RW

not work:
    memorex 74min, 80min cdr
    imation 80min cdr
    verbatim data life plus 74min, 80min
    TDK 80min CDR
    Kensiko 80min cdr
    hypertech 80min cdr
    Maxell 74min CDR
    Samsung Premium cd-r 74min
    Data Life Plus Verbatim cd-r & cd-rw
    Mitsui cd-r 74min
    ACER Cd-r 80min
    Digital research 80min

these are accurate testings since i burned more than 1 of each
    Last edited by shererboat; 03-15-2002 at 07:40 AM.

Kudos to Dre's answers.......WOW, YOU THE MAN!......LOL

Just wanted to welcome our new member, this is the place to be. As you can see we have some pretty informed people around here.

Welcome

I rip music to my xbox with imation 80min cdr's all the time, they work fine on my xbox. I don't know why people are suggesting to use cd-rw's they are more expensive and don't benefit ripping music at all. My cd-r's work fine! Haven't tried ripping mp3's yet I will give it a try tonight!

WELCOME TO XBA agis !!!
    Hey....i would juss like to welcome u to xba on behalf of all the staff and members here
    this is by far the best xbox site on the web...
    u will enjoy it here....if u have n e questions or something u just wanna say....then holla.....
    peace....
    congrats on the xbox....
    OFFICAL XBA CANADIAN , EH?Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Claymore61
    are mecs adminsters who monitor chat?

Thread Information