Thread: MS faces US import ban on Xbox 360

The lone voice of reason. Symmetric-XBA's Avatar

Default MS faces US import ban on Xbox 360

In case you haven't heard, Motorola is trying to cripple Microsoft in court and claim that Microsoft has blatently violated standing patents held by Motorola Mobility in some of the technology that is used in the Xbox 360. This outcome could literally devastate Microsoft's future. Some of the patents that Microsoft apparently violated are technology like wireless connections to the Internet and video compression to speed up transmission of data, amongst others. Motorola Mobility has won already in Germany where now MS products such as Xbox 360's, Windows 7, Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player can not be sold within the country.

The troubles for Microsoft though have only gotten worse. A judge today ruled in favor of Motorola Mobility and Judge Shaw has recommended that the ITC ban the import of the 4GB and 250GB Xbox 360 S consoles and prevent further sales with a cease-and-desist order. Further, Microsoft should post a bond equal to 7% of the value of unsold Xbox 360 inventory already in the country.

Oh, btw, Google just bought Motorola Mobility for 12 billion. Interesting.....

So what do you think of Microsoft and how this could shape the future for the company's gaming future???

---------- 2011 XboxAddict Award: Most Addicted Addict ----------
    ---------- 2011 XboxAddict Award: Favorite Staffer ----------
    ---------- 2011 XboxAddict Award: Favorite Writer/Reviewer ----------
    THIS IS GOING TO BE HUGE! #XBA2016 MAKE XBA GREAT AGAIN!

I'll withhold judgement until we find out if Microsoft really did break patent laws. If they are using technology that is patented they should have made an agreement with Motorola to use the technology legally.

Judges in Europe have already found Microsoft guilty of patent infringement but the consequences of the judgement were postponed by US courts that are now beginning legal proceedings.
    -=Rookie of the Year 2004=- -=Member of the year 2005=- -=Mod 2006-2007=- -=Banned and threatened with legal action 2008=-

Hidden Content

The lone voice of reason. Symmetric-XBA's Avatar

thats the thing though man, if MS didn't do any of this, then why would there even be a lawsuit to begin with? would motorola mobility just randomly sue MS and say "they stole our patented tech for their equipment" if that wasn't the case? if MS is clean, then wouldn't the initial findings prove MS clear of any wrong doings and then have the case, charges, and cease and desist erased? plus if MS isn't doing anything wrong, then it's almost a sure bet that MS is poised for a win with a counter suit.

Unfortunetly, MS did do these things. The tech used IS owned by Motorola Mobility, they own the patents on some of the aspects of the tech used in the 360. this just goes to show, if you can't innovate, buy outright and claim it as your own. case in point, google couldn't develop the tech that motorola already has a patent for, so instead of going through another party, google just outright bought motorola mobility, so now google owns all the patents in their portfolio

---------- 2011 XboxAddict Award: Most Addicted Addict ----------
    ---------- 2011 XboxAddict Award: Favorite Staffer ----------
    ---------- 2011 XboxAddict Award: Favorite Writer/Reviewer ----------
    THIS IS GOING TO BE HUGE! #XBA2016 MAKE XBA GREAT AGAIN!

XBA Forum Administrator Shawn-XBA's Avatar

Wouldn't Sony be violating some of these patents as well? The PS3 connects to the internet wirelessly, and I believe they also compress there videos as well. Why wait so long to file a lawsuit? The new S console has been out for some time now. I'm hoping Microsoft didn't infringe on any Motorola patents, it would be a devastating blow to the Xbox brand products. Only time will tell I guess, defiantly going to be monitoring the proceedings

Follow me on Twitter: Hidden Content
    Watch me on Twitch: Hidden Content
    Subscribe on YouTube: Hidden Content
    Email/Skype: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Silent-XBA View Post
    Wouldn't Sony be violating some of these patents as well? The PS3 connects to the internet wirelessly, and I believe they also compress there videos as well. Why wait so long to file a lawsuit? The new S console has been out for some time now. I'm hoping Microsoft didn't infringe on any Motorola patents, it would be a devastating blow to the Xbox brand products. Only time will tell I guess, defiantly going to be monitoring the proceedings
    Sony might be paying royalties so they don't get into trouble, and maybe they waited this long because the legal process is slow or they wanted to wait until MS was in it to deep.

Thread Information