Thread: Use your 5.1 computer speakers with the XBOX

Default Use your 5.1 computer speakers with the XBOX

If you don't have a receiver capable of playing Dolby Digital 5.1 coming from your XBOX but do have a set of 5.1 computer speakers this solution is for you.

You can pick up a Sound Blaster Extigy for about $125 (street price). It is intended to be used as an external sound card for the PC but it will operate without anything connected to the USB interface.

Simply attach your TOSLINK cable from the Advanced or HD A/V pack to the Extigy, then attach your powered 5.1 speakers to the rear of the unit and you're good to go.

Here are the technical specs:
    http://www.americas.creative.com/pro...t=251&nav=spec

NOTE: The Extigy cannot be used for DTS in this manner. The best it can do is Dolby Digital 5.1. If you want DTS you'll need to spend another $45 and get the Klipsch DD-5.1.

Of course, I recommend investing in a true DD 5.1/DTS receiver and a nice set of speakers. However, I know that we have a lot of budget-conscious gamers on the board.

Yeah, the surround set I'm lloking into is from Boston Acoustics. It is a 1000 dollar set and I know it's worth it. BA makes the best speakers in the world.
    Oh a life? That sounds fun, where can I download one of those?

PunkBuster Support Guru Batman2372's Avatar

Default Are you talking Computer Speakers or Home Theatre?

If you're talking home theatre...

Boston Acoustics are fine. I take that back, they're pretty good. Best in the world? I don't think so. Try some Vienna Acoustics, Sonus Faber, or Martin Logan speakers. These are the best in the world. Now granted, you'll be spending more along the lines of $1,000 for a set of TWO speakers (and that's the low end), but these are the Cherry of sound equipment.
    Last edited by Batman2372; 03-19-2002 at 10:46 AM.
    "Who are you?"

"I'm...

Theres like this guy near where i live who sells like $800.00 speakers and home theater stuff off a stolen truck for like $200 (he gets some every week). I didnt buy them when i ran into them, But my friend bought some really nice speakers for like $100. Thats my solution!

I just gotta find him again.........................................

R.I.P.DZ
    Hidden Content

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

JJax! Are you serious? Would you buy hot speakers?

I want a Dolby Digital DTS 5.1 Surround Sound system badly! That's really good information, Hugh, however, if I am going to spend around $200 to get it, I might as well as fork over a little more to get the real deal...atleast, that's my situation. Great idea for people that are a little tighter on cash, though!

I have the Monster 400 Component Video cables. I know that Monster created a TOSLINK cable for the XBox, however, how is this to be utilized? I don't think the Monster Component video cables has an attachment on them for a TOSLINK cable. Hmmmm... There has to be a way to connect it, though, since they make one for the XBox. Anyone know how to hook the Monster TOSLINK cable up to the XBox?

I might just purchase a Dolby Digial DTS bundle...I saw one on sale for $299.99 by Kenwood. I realize this is not even close to being top of the line, however, with my set-up in a designated room the size of a typical den, I don't think I will need anything more. My new HDTV provides amazing sound as is, but, there's nothing like a solid surround sound system creating the effects!

It won't be until a few more months before I can consider spending the cash on this, though.

Two Matin Logan's for $1k? I don't think so. They start at $1300 for one and that is their low end. Get their Statements and they are $75k. Now those are some speakers. I would love to setup a home theatre will some Martin Logans and plan to in the future but way out of my reach now.

Of course that is nothing compared to this sucker.

The Grand Enigma System - one of the largest and most exclusive high-end consumer loudspeakers ever made.

This 12 ton system is fully active with 30kW of amplification, equipped with 24 ultrahigh efficiency planar-magnetic HF-units, 24 15-inch LF drivers and 48 6-inch MF drivers. Placed in a specially prepared subterranean listening room of 45,000 cubic feet, it presents sound with incredible dynamics and limitless power, easily reproducing live concert levels at a distance of 10 meters.

Imagine playing Halo on that.
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

Originally posted by Lynxfx
    Imagine playing Halo on that.
    *Max proceeds to soil himself*

Combine the $125 Extigy and the $60 DeskTop Theater 5.1 DTT2200 speakers and you've got a 5.1 setup for the XBOX for under $200.

http://www.americas.creative.com/pro...SearchSite=yes

This probably isn't suitable for a large living room but if the XBOX is in your bedroom or dorm room this might be a solution worth considering.

Actually you can get 5.1 dolby digital for less than that.

Just get the Interact DSS-900.
    It is a Dolby digital decoder and it INCLUDES speakers for $115US.

Cheap as cheap can be.
    Hidden Content
    add, confirm, corrections, PM me

Thread Information