Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Official GunValkyrie Thread

Default Gun Valkary Demo

I got a chance to play with the Gun Valkary (sp?) demo last night at Best Buy. It is pretty cool folks. The camera is a little goofy, but otherwise it is a really nice game. Smilebit strikes again!!

PunkBuster Support Guru Batman2372's Avatar

Default I've seen this, too

I've taken a look at it, and while yes, it's pretty, I don't think I'm going to get it now. It looks as though it would get old pretty quick. Too much like other games.
    "Who are you?"

"I'm...

Question Gunvalyrie

Has anybody happened to get their hands on this title yet???? I'm highly excited about this one, I doubt Sega will let us down. Mine comes in tomorrow at EB but I'd like to know peoples' impressions of the game if they happen to have it.

I played it on a demo at Best Buy last night for about 30 minutes. I loved it, and will buy it immediately. The controls are a little quirky, so be prepared to do a little bit of work to get used to it, particularly the camera. The graphics are good, but that is not what I liked. I liked the "fun-factor" ... it just rocks. Enjoy!

I put up a thread asking people if they would buy it. most people said no, and now the thread is gone.

I have been waiting for this game for the longest time. Its been more than two months of waiting and now its finally here. I will buy it on friday (if it isn't sold out). Then attend an XBOX party.

Originally posted by MOlsen
    I played it on a demo at Best Buy last night for about 30 minutes. I loved it, and will buy it immediately. The controls are a little quirky, so be prepared to do a little bit of work to get used to it, particularly the camera. The graphics are good, but that is not what I liked. I liked the "fun-factor" ... it just rocks. Enjoy!
    Dude I'm looking to buy this game but in all the reviews they keep going on about the controls for the character
    Tell me is it like flying a bansee in Halo or if not can you give me some sort of idea how the controls work ie right trigger for shooting, left trigger to use jet pack etc, etc

Thanks

Wondering Around

Just curious, does it have any sort of multiplayer ability? If so, what kinds.

I don't think it has multi-play. I think you have to push one of the contro, sticks in to jet pack, and that one of the gripes, cause you have to do it so many times you think your gonna break you thumb in half.

The May OXM Demo Disc contains a decent playable demo of GV. I played it repeatedly, and while the controls are quite difficult to adjust to, I still think I'm gonna purchase the game.

Lost but not forgotten - RIP DZNUTZ DZNUTZ's Avatar

Question Gunvalkyrie Reviews

anyone else notice that gamepro thrashed this game and ign gave it an award? hey i'm all for various reviewers and opinions as the next guy, i mean we all wouldnt' want to follow one person/companies opinion blindly. BUT for JEBUS sakes...their in the same field...how can their ( gamereviewers) vary so drasticly?

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

Well, it beats me! Hmm...well, it must be one of those games that a person will either love it or hate it...Though, I'm not sure

To be on the safe side, I would recommend renting it first to see if you like it before you buy it. I saw some streaming video of this game and it didn't look all that great to me...but, of course, streaming video is a bad way to judge a game...to truly judge it, one has to play it. I may rent it to see how I like it.

Default I know what you mean.

Yes I understand. Gamers.com gave Gunvaklyrie a 5.0/10, while IGn and OXM gave it 9+/10.

For some reason, this game is acheiving very diverse ratings from one reviewer to another. For one reason, it may be because of the difficult controls. Some reviewers may focus more on that, and miss the point of the game more. However, I think its these controls that are making these reviewers frustrated. Its only been one day since the game came out, so I don't think the reviewers have gotten enough time to adapt to the controls. therefore making the game frustrating. I'm sure that after a few more hours, they would appreciate the game more.

I understand that the ign/oxm reviewers spent many, many hours on the game considering some of the levels they've acheived.

The only review you should consider is your own. If you like the game... then thats your opinion. No one else should be able to change it.

BTW, you may already know that I have been anticipating this game for many months now. I won't be renting it, I'll be buying it on Friday since I'm busy all week. I will sure let my opinions be heard after I played this game.

Lost but not forgotten - RIP DZNUTZ DZNUTZ's Avatar

yea that really is the way to go maximus..thankfully though..my girl manages a Blockbuster..so i get free rentals up the ying yang..and movies before their publicly released. i guess i titled the thread incorreclty...i was more addressing the extreme differences in different companies game reviews more so of the scores the game actually recieved.

Default Gunvulkyre Is incredible

I purchased the game yesterday...and yes the controls have a learning curve...but once u understand and record in ur mind how they work...the game is incredibly rewarding both gameplay wise and graphically. This is one of the best looking titles on Xbox. If u like Space Harrier...Staship troopers and Panzer Dragoon...as I do...U'll love this title with all of its graphic goodness...and upscale gameplay.
    Hardcore beyond belief...work hard Play harder.

Afro Aura,

Left trigger boosts you up, right trigger shoots. Left thumbstick controls your direction. Push down on the analog (left) stick to boost in a given direction. Right thumbstick controls your view (up, middle, down) in the demo, one of the reviews said it also controls your arm and aim.

Some of the reviewers didn't even figure out how to turn around and look immediately behind you. The solution is easy, it is in the left thumbstick.

I think somebody already commented on the divergent opinions ... I have to agree. I think to a large part it probably has to do with a) how long the reviewer played before writing and b) how dexterous the reviewer was.

The graphics are great, don't get me wrong, but the best part is the fun. Not everybody defines fun the same way ... I guess that is another reason why the scores are so wildly different.

Originally posted by MOlsen
    Afro Aura,

Left trigger boosts you up, right trigger shoots. Left thumbstick controls your direction. Push down on the analog (left) stick to boost in a given direction. Right thumbstick controls your view (up, middle, down) in the demo, one of the reviews said it also controls your arm and aim.

Some of the reviewers didn't even figure out how to turn around and look immediately behind you. The solution is easy, it is in the left thumbstick.
    Thanks for getting back mate as I'm in the UK I'd like to know what the game was like before I buy it as I've got a US XBOX over here (and a PAL one too)

I swear, the people who are making these horrible reviews must be either 7 years old and the controls are just far too complex for them, or they suffer from ADD.

There IS a very steep learning curve on the controls, but come the 2nd mission (after you mess around on the first playing around with boosts and the drive gun), you learn how to control the boost/hover dynamic. Hell, if people would read the MANUAL they'd could basically see that all of the boosting/movement is just on that left stick. It has nothing to do with the right. Another thing that's screwing with people, one of which my brother who played hours of HALO, is that they're assuming that the right stick is turn left/right. All the right stick does is fine tune your aim in the 180 FOV that you'd have if you were just looking straight ahead. Reviewers, and players alike, need to break themselves of the move with left/turn with right control schemes from before. GV needs to be approached as a DIFFERENT kind of game, because it very much is. Once you learn how to hover over long distances (boost straight up with L trigger, boost forward with pressed left thumbstick, and then pull back on the left thumbstick) then you can get to those far ledges, or take out hordes and hordes of beasties while they're under you.

Sure the learning curve is high, and that'll push some people away, but those people are gonna be missing out. Good things come to those who wait, and once you learn how to actually control everything properly (after about 2-3 hours gametime, I'd say) the GV becomes something altogether different. It's not the game that ****ed you off because you didn't know how to boost properly, it's the game that 0wnz because you finally know how to. I've only suffered ONE framerate hit (which wasn't even that harsh), and that was when I was sitting in the BRIGHT WHITE LIGHT of the first "boss"es head upper area while I plowed him with the drive gun. Aside from that I've boosted through swarms of crawlies, hovered in air jets while flying beasties dive bombed me, and flown through the LSD devised Naglfar's Pit.

The game is gorgeous, and it plays like a dream once you get the controls down. Think of it this way: You didn't quit SF2 when you couldn't quite pull off a fireball over and over and over, or that sonic boom, or the spinning piledriver. Yet you kept on going on, and SF2's one of our favorite games of all time (don't lie, you know you played it :P). GV just takes practice, and it's beauty and great gameplay reward you in the end for hanging around.

Welcome Torak glad you can join us
    and thanks with the update on GV I'm a bit worried about the learning curve, but I'll give this game a go and the part about SF the only player I could play was Ken, I was rubbish with anyone else just couldn't get the super piledriver sorted so thats why I'm a little worried

but as you say it's a different sort of game with a different sort of angle I'll give it a chance

See ya mate

Wow, thanks for the welcome Afro! I've never gotten a nod on a random forum where I just pop in, so that was definitely a welcome change!

As for the SF analogy, the reason I pop that in is because there are variables in GV that aren't exactly defined. There are 3 "gems" of a sort in the save game menu which are supposed to light up as you do things.

But they don't tell you what they are or what they're supposed to do. :|

Also, there's the rating system. Apparently the better you pass a level (time/technique/kills/etc.) you get rated for it. I'm guessing a perfect rating for all levels may be one of those gems, but who knows just yet. Game's too new!

I used the SF analogy because I was one of those people who was determined to learn every single character to perfection, or as close as I could get to it. Same with GV, in a way. Practice makes perfect!

Anyway, I highly suggest checking this game out. I'd gladly plunk down another $50 to give it to someone, if someone's birthday was around or something. And I don't give people JACK!

Thread Information