Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Xbox online

Originally posted by jimmy_page

i have webtv... and it sucks
    You will need at the least - a broadband connection, meaning DSL or cable modem and a cable to connect it to your xbox (if you are going to dedicate your broadband connection to your xbox only). The broadband connection is going to cost you close to $40 a month and then you may have to pay whatever MS wants to charge.

Hope this helps
    Here's how bad I suck

Don't get a free IPOD - Hidden Content

old sig Made by professor_frink he is the sig man!
    http://hosting.reversedreality.com/user_images/jschelm/sig.jpg

Default thanks

how much will a cable modem and connecter cost? i live WAY out in the sticks, so i guess dsl is out of the question.

Do you get cable there? Like tv cable? If you don't get that you're completely SOL. Now if you do then call up your cable company and ask them if they offer cable internet service. If they don't then you are SOL again and will have to wait until it is available.
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

no, i don't get cable tv out here. i live 20 miles away from town. so does this mean there's absolutely no way to play online from here?

The only way would be to invest in a Direct TV system and get their Direct PC addon. Now you are talking big bucks and you will still end up with latency issues with a satellite system.

With the right equipment you could convert your lan connection to work with your 56k modem but then it still would be lag heaven and not even playable.

Sorry.
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

Jimmy...it sounds like you need to move closer to town

man, this is BAD news. i was REALLY looking forward to playing online this summer. too bad none of my friends have broadband connection. i'm gonna go shoot myself now...joke
    thanks for the help guys

my computer and xbox are on two different floors of my house and i still want to use the internet on my pc for regular use, is this a problem ?

Originally posted by Derek_00
    my computer and xbox are on two different floors of my house and i still want to use the internet on my pc for regular use, is this a problem ?
    Nah, the big question is how good are you at fishing wires. It is really easy to wire up a couple of wall plates and run some cat-5 cable through the floor, it will just take some time. Also, you don't have to worry too much about signal degredation with long runs of cat-5 cable. I have done some well over 200' that didn't cause any issues at all. Also, if you don't really care about the looks and it wouldn't be in the way too bad you can just get a really long patch cable and run it down the stairs.
    Here's how bad I suck

is this cat 5 cable expensive ?

can i go on the internet on my pc while my brother plays xbox online ?

Originally posted by Derek_00
    is this cat 5 cable expensive ?

can i go on the internet on my pc while my brother plays xbox online ?
    No, and probably. The cabling isn't too bad and as long as your ISP is giving you enough bandwidth then you shouldn't have any problems surfing the web while he is playing online. If you aren't getting enough bandwidth then you will have to pick one or the other.
    Here's how bad I suck

whats bandwidth and get i get more ?

Hey, Does anyone know if Xbox Online can be accessed through satelite??? If you know anything about this please tell me....Thanx

Calve,

Yes and no. If your sat system uses standard RJ45 which I believe it should then you can connect but there are latency issues which brings you lag. Plus some Sat internet services only use the satelite for downloading and they use your phone line for upload. This would cause problems and probably not make your system playable.

I've never used a consumer satelite system personally so I don't know for sure. I've used government satelite systems out in the field before which worked great but we also could give ourselves the full bandwidth available.
    ---Hidden Content ---

Thread Information