Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: making Back ups copies

Default making Back ups copies

Here in OH CANADA games are so expensive. are we able to make back up copies or do we go pay another $90.00 for the same game .

I dont agree with burning games to steal them. i am a programmer and i would 'nt want any one stealing my stuff.

when i get my xbox i would like to make back up copies.

no, each game has a region code and then each region code has a different code to hack though before the raw data can be extracted, the only game hackers have gotten though is doa3 and they are still having issues with getting the game to boot. So it dosn't look like it will be possible for awile.....sorry! MS made sure that hacking dosn't happen!

Even if you could do that there is still no reasonable excuse for making copies of games. If you are that irresponceple of a person and will leave your games out to were they will get ruined then you deserve to have to buy another copy of the game.

Hmmm...I wonder if Microsoft has a replacement policy if the disc becomes damaged? I know they replaced discs that got scratched in Japan.

Lets go Canes/ Marlins! AlBoogy's Avatar

" If you are that irresponceple of a person and will leave your games out to were they will get ruined then you deserve to have to buy another copy of the game."

What if they were stolen? I'm sorry but paying another 50 dollars for a game I already had hurts.

Thank you to Caged Soul for the Sig! Hidden Content

I feel it is cool to make backups, my dog killed one of my ps games! But stealing the game w/o purchasing it is wrong!

Wow a couple of yas were complaining about being iresponsible.
    thats not what the thread was all about.

Disk do get damaged after a long period of time. Yes you can take care of them. But the thing was WHAT IF. read it again.

its a sensible question.when a couple of yas become a adult you will understand.

JUST A QUESTION!!!!!!!!. and i hope none of yas happen to have a damage game . because iresponsibility dosent apply to this.

hahahahahahahahahahahaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

PunkBuster Support Guru Batman2372's Avatar

Originally posted by AlBoogy
    What if they were stolen? I'm sorry but paying another 50 dollars for a game I already had hurts.
    So if your CAR gets stolen, are you going to go back to the dealership and say, "Man, it really hurts that my $25,000 car was taken. Give me another one please."

Sorry, it's YOUR responsibility, regardless of whether or not it was your fault.
    "Who are you?"

"I'm...

Default The responsibility is still yours

Okay, let's get back to the question at hand. Your disc is damaged. That alone will have Microsoft laugh at you.

The only way that you could get reimbursement for a damaged disc is if a Microsoft component (in this case, the Xbox itself) caused the damage.

You dropping it, running scissors over it, losing it, etc is neither the fault nor the problem of Microsoft or the designer. In other words, the responsiblity of it is yours.
    "Who are you?"

"I'm...

Most developers just like software companies will replace your disc if it becomes damaged for a small fee. All it takes is a call to their customer service department.

Or you just take it to Toys 'R Us and say it was a gift, it is damaged and I would like a replacement.

So if your CAR gets stolen, are you going to go back to the dealership and say, "Man, it really hurts that my $25,000 car was taken. Give me another one please."
    No you go to your insurance and they will do it for you. Heck same thing if a game is stolen. My renter's insurance covers theft. If it is stolen, I get a claim and get the game again.

Fact of the matter is, if there is a way to backup my games with low cost to me I will most definately do it. Infact I would play with the backups instead of the originals and keep those in perfect order. Accidents happen even to the most anal people out there.
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

HEY Lynxfx:

finally someone who understands the question. your reply was totally sensible. thx buddy.

like i said here in canada games are really expensive so a small fee would be great to back up my game .

i have a 16 mon. Boy who is running jumping and DESTROYING stuff.he dosent understand, so a back up would be great.

BIG_BUTTER!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Lynxfx
    Most developers just like software companies will replace your disc if it becomes damaged for a small fee. All it takes is a call to their customer service department.

Fact of the matter is, if there is a way to backup my games with low cost to me I will most definately do it. Infact I would play with the backups instead of the originals and keep those in perfect order. Accidents happen even to the most anal people out there.
    Hmm little cost
    what do you mean, is it go to you computer store buy a DVD disk get home get someone to make a copy of your game and you just play the back-up Hmmm sounds like piracy there man
    as with these copies, who knows they may just fall out of you hand and into someone else's hand for a little cost too

I think I like your first paragraph, sounds sensible to me
    Last edited by Afro Aura; 03-21-2002 at 03:43 PM.

No problem Butter.

By the way, I probably should add that backups are completely legal as long as you keep to the idea that you are 'backing up' for your own personal use.

U.S. Copyright laws permit making a "backup" copy of computer programs for archival purposes. However, the right to make backup copies of computer programs for archival purposes, as embodied in 17 U.S.C. Section 117(2), does not in any way authorize the owner of a copy of a video or computer game to post or download a copy of that game to or from the Internet. Section 117(2) only gives the owner of the copy a right to make an archival copy of the actual copy that he/she legally possesses, not to make a copy of the ROM that someone else legally possesses, nor to post an archival copy of his/her original copy for distribution. Also, there is not an unfettered right to sell "backup" copies. In fact, Section 117 is quite explicit in stating that any archival copy prepared under Section 117(2) can only be transferred to another person if, and only if: A) The original copy is also transferred, and only with the authorization of the copyright owner, and B) The transfer is part of the sale of all rights in the program.
    So I want to be able to backup my games, I won't go out and download a backed up game. But of course, you can't have one without the other. The ultimate catch-22.
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

Originally posted by Afro Aura

Hmm little cost
    what do you mean, is it go to you computer store buy a DVD disk get home get someone to make a copy of your game and you just play the back-up Hmmm sounds like piracy there man, as with these copies, who know they may just fall out of you hand and into someone else's hand for a little cost too

I think I like your first paragraph, sounds sensible to me
    Afro, where did I say that I was coming home, making a copy from someone else and playing it or vice versa? No where. Infact I have copies of every single game I own on the pc as well as software. Especially the expensive stuff like Photoshop and Autocad, Dreamweaver and Flash. Do I just lend those out to people? Hell no. They are mine, I paid for them, and I won't take the chance of one of them getting damaged when there is a perfectly legal way to backup my software. Same is true with games.
    ---Hidden Content ---

OK everyone read this besides Lynxfx
    because he is the only one who gets it.

1. I dont want to steal.
    2. i dont want to back up copies so i can SELL (Afro)

bottom line. I dont want to spend 90 dollars and then BY accident my disk gets ruined and then go spend another 90 dollars.

I dont have an XBOX yet! i am getting one in may.
    so please dont accuse me of stealing.

p.s. You got to admit WHAT A GREAT TOPIC!!!!!1
    hahahahaha

Originally posted by Lynxfx

Afro, where did I say that I was coming home, making a copy from someone else and playing it or vice versa? No where. Infact I have copies of every single game I own on the pc as well as software. Especially the expensive stuff like Photoshop and Autocad, Dreamweaver and Flash. Do I just lend those out to people? Hell no. They are mine, I paid for them, and I won't take the chance of one of them getting damaged when there is a perfectly legal way to backup my software. Same is true with games.
    Well safe dude and sorry
    the reason why I said what I said is that not many people have the same morals as you all they want is a quick cheap way to get hold of game, that they play for about a day and never play it again
    which is where the piracy comes into it
    Last edited by Afro Aura; 03-21-2002 at 05:05 PM.

dude I hear ya! I am going to back my games up once the xbox games get hacked! I was just trying to give you the down low on the progress!

Originally posted by bryanhls
    dude I hear ya! I am going to back my games up once the xbox games get hacked! I was just trying to give you the down low on the progress!
    can I ask you a question then mate
    If someone came up to you and let's say Project Ego which was in the shop for $50 and this guy said give me $5 and Project Ego is yours would you by the original or the copy and be honest mate

Default Confused...

Okay, I've read sections 106 and 117 of the Code, and I understand that part. What I don't understand is how copy protection comes into play. If it is legal to make backup copies of any software, why was the DMCA written and copy protection become so prevalent?

It would seem to me that copy protection would be completely contrary to Section 117. I haven't read the DMCA yet (I'll work on that this evening), but there's more to this than one line of the Copyright code.

BIG_BUTTER, I'm not saying that you're stealing. I am saying that <i>possibly</i> copying your Xbox games could be breaking US law.
    "Who are you?"

"I'm...

Originally posted by BIG_BUTTER
    OK everyone read this besides Lynxfx
    because he is the only one who gets it.

1. I dont want to steal.
    2. i dont want to back up copies so i can SELL (Afro)

bottom line. I dont want to spend 90 dollars and then BY accident my disk gets ruined and then go spend another 90 dollars.

I dont have an XBOX yet! i am getting one in may.
    so please dont accuse me of stealing.
    OK mate it's just like you as a progammer promoting piracy thats all and as I said not all people have morals

Anyway mate if your not into stealing then cool
    Last edited by Afro Aura; 03-21-2002 at 05:05 PM.

Thread Information