Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think Bungie is doing to Halo 2?

Default What do you think Bungie is doing to Halo 2?

Just wondering what you guys think Bungie is doing to Halo 2. They delayed it and said it was to implement everything they want in it. I think that they're trying to beef up the texturing and bump mapping. After E3 everyone knows the Halo series is no longer the best looking one. Also I believe that they're improving the lighting system. Look at Splinter Cell, without the lighting it wouldn't look so hot. Well post whatever you thinking they're heavily trying to improve or implement.
    Hidden Content
    Now Playing: Pantera - Cemetary Gates

Halo2 was never delayed. Industry insiders, gamers, fansites, game shop sites (eb, gamestop, ect.) all assumed it was coming out 3rd/4th quarter 2003.

But Bungie never said anything official or on any of those lines.

www.bungie.net is da best place to get accurate info on Halo2's progress.

And it's "officially" coming out 1st quarter 2004. Bungie said dat, so you can take dat to da bank junior!

I think Bungie and Microsoft may attempt to create huge environments for 32 players. Right now the max for most Xbox Live games are 16 players on one stage. Halo 2 is going to be Microsoft's biggest seller of 2004 going into 2005, and I think they want to push the limits. They are probably getting their dedicated servers ready, or more like testing them to see can 32 people play lag free on many of the environments with vehicles, etc.

Thanks
    The Entrepreneur Network Hidden Content

32 people would be maaaaaaaaaaaaaaad awesome.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

Well, we do know that Halo 2's textures, bump mapping, and real time lighting are going to set new standards for games to follow. Personally, I think the game looks breathtaking and strongly prefer Halo 2's graphics even over Half Life 2 and DOOM 3's graphics...but, that's just me. Don't get me wrong, the other two games look sweet, but, it wouldn't be Halo if the graphics looked ultra realistic.

I remember playing the first Halo and staring at the grass...it looks awesome. In Halo 2, they are implementing real time lighting technology. And, because of this, they can allow for destructible terrain... So, instead of hitting a tree with a rocket launcher and have it stay stiff, it's going to break and/or fall. Without real time lighting, you would see the shadow of the tree still in place while a tree fell over...but, not with real time lighting. It's going to rock!

Also, tons of new vehicles including different types of Warthogs equiped with rocket launchers, machine guns, etc...even a special warthog that can travel through snow effectively since it's equiped with tracks in the back. And, let's not forget the new ATV

The new implementation of entering moving vehicles is a HUGE addition to this game. No game has done it and no one can do it like Bungie.

Let's also not forget the new weapons including the double uzis...also, the ability to disarm your weapon or weapons so you can go into a sprint.

This game is going to own, especially on XBox Live. And, we can all know that Halo is going to run flawlessly, similar to MotoGP 1&2 does....Bungie will make damn sure it does.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

Originally posted by Snoopy7548
    32 people would be maaaaaaaaaaaaaaad awesome.
    The maps would have to be extremely huge, if you ask me. I'm not a die hard fan of 16-player combat...unless it's CTF at BG and I'm playing "mid-field" while smoking everyone...but, even then, there's nothing like a 3v3 or 4v4 match to keep things competitive rather than chaotic.

Renegade of funk

What's Bungie doing? They're sitting on Halo2 waiting to release it at the right time. You just wait. The game has to be done. They've been working on it forever. Probably since Halo was finished they set out to make the sequel. I don't mean finished by being released. I mean Halo was most likely finished a long time before it was actually released, and it sat in a warehouse waiting to be deployed on the launch day of the first xbox. It's not like these things ship still warm from the distrubutors DVD burners. They meet deadlines and they wait until the proper time. So take that in effect and think that Halo was done well in advance of the launch of the xbox. Bungie set out for a sequel pretty much immediately, so you can figure, they just kept on programming while the first Halo was shipping out.
    Imagine Halo being an experiment. Halo was supposed to be a different game for the PC, so they had to mad rush to get it out on a console, from what I remembered. So you take what you can and experiment working it into a new console format. So after the finishing date of Halo, they probably most likely took the notes they had and said. " We can actually do it like this now that we know what the working limits of the xbox are."
    So, my assumption is that they had playable code for a long time. I remember seeing the photo of the dev team playing it. So all this time it's been in testing? Possibly? Still? Maybe. Wishful thinking would have it that it's done, and it's waiting to launch out with the Live 2.0. Or even the next anniversary of the xbox. It was never delayed if you think about it. There was just no date ever set, and all the hype took over. Hype is providing all the advertising this game ever needs.
    Take a great game, give teasers of the sequel, put it on the tips of every tongue in the gaming business, but don't let too much out. This is all planned. At least that's how it feels to me.
    You just wait until they release this game sooner than you expect. There would be riots in the stores. If it came out around Christmas, essentially unexpected.
    There would be hype would shoot to astronomic levels even if the word just dropped from OXM or Bungie themselves that the game would be out November.
    Is it the most anticipated game ever? You bet. People would freak out more than Christ's second coming at Britney Spears All Nude Half Time Superbowl show.
    Everyone is waiting to see it. All across the gaming spectrum, all eyes are on it.

You just wait. I have a feeling I'm right.

What's Bungie doing? They're sitting on Halo2 waiting to release it at the right time. You just wait. The game has to be done. They've been working on it forever.
    Hardly dude. They started on it sometime September/October 2001 I would assume, and that means its been developing for not quite 2 years. For a game this complex and advanced, I would hope it would take this long. I'm sure they arent done with it yet, and I'd also bet that all of these wishful thinkers and rumor starters popping up everywhere saying its gonna release Winter 2003 are wrong. 2.5 years isnt that long for an awesome game to be developed. I mean look at Duke Nukem Forever...

There are a few things I'd really like to see in Halo 2 that'd make it amazing:

1) More monsters in campaign

For example in the Library level, the Flood got really boring after a certain extent. I want to see more "species" of monsters that are all different.

2) Xbox Live to the max!

I'm talking about 16-32 player games in lag-free gaming bliss! I think too many developers have thought that since Xbox Live utilizes broadband they don't have to cut down on the trasmissions and optimize their code. They're wrong. It should be really optimized for more fun and more people! I also hope it offers XSN or something similar with leagues and tournaments. Also I hope it has more multiplayer options regarding vehicles, map changes, voting (for booting, etc.). Online stats too! The works.

3) LAN (4 players per screen)

There are so few games with this as is. Does anyone know if LAN is confirmed for Halo 2 yet? Halo is so much fun with friends in the same room.
    Xbox Games: Halo, PGR, SSX Tricky, Wolfenstein, Counter-Strike, and Crimson Skies
    Most Wanted: MotoGP 2, SSX 3, Halo 2, PGR 2, and B.C.
    Hidden Content

They're taking it to a small, dark corner to rape it. Shhh, don't tell anyone!
    One Love

Originally posted by teenzine
    They're taking it to a small, dark corner to rape it. Shhh, don't tell anyone!
    You are one sick puppy.

The thought alone of Halo2 is boner-inducing, and I almost can't stand the wait anymore....

Just wanted you guys to know my feelings, which probably resemble most of yours too.

Release The First Skill Shadow20002's Avatar

I think they want to be sure this one will the highest score from every magazines, sites, TV show or any sort of medias. Mean make it the best one even surpass the first one.
    Back into the world of gaming.

bust a nut

Originally posted by Reclaimer
    Halo was supposed to be a different game for the PC, so they had to mad rush to get it out on a console, from what I remembered. So you take what you can and experiment working it into a new console format. So after the finishing date of Halo, they probably most likely took the notes they had and said. Wishful thinking would have it that it's done, and it's waiting to launch out with the Live 2.0. Or even the next anniversary of the xbox. It was never delayed if you think about it. There was just no date ever set, and all the hype took over. Hype is providing all the advertising this game ever needs.
    Take a great game, give teasers of the sequel, put it on the tips of every tongue in the gaming business, but don't let too much out. This is all planned. At least that's how it feels to me.
    You just wait until they release this game sooner than you expect. There would be riots in the stores. If it came out around Christmas, essentially unexpected.

lol, if the crowds are gonna be like that, then i'll be packin heat. haha. neway, i wonder why bungie changed their mind from switching from PC to xbox?? did MS buy them out?

i honestly dont beleive halo 2 will be out this year. im sure bungie wants enough time to test it out to make sure it runs smoothly and see if they could add anything else in the game. i want it out now, but we just have to be patient and wiat bc we know the game will be awesome.

Starving College Student

What do you think Bungie is doing to Halo 2?
    they're making it.

I remember playing the first Halo and staring at the grass...it looks awesome. In Halo 2, they are implementing real time lighting technology. And, because of this, they can allow for destructible terrain... So, instead of hitting a tree with a rocket launcher and have it stay stiff, it's going to break and/or fall. Without real time lighting, you would see the shadow of the tree still in place while a tree fell over...but, not with real time lighting. It's going to rock!
    link? i dont remember them confirming this, just saying destructible stuff, like vehicles, was being looked into. that tree scenario sounds more like a source engine thing than a halo engine one (i.e. materials will act realistically, so a wooden door will be destructible, not made out of unbreakable titanium). destructible terrain would kinda **** me off though...theres countless times where i'm using an indestrutible tree or rock as cover from a tank seriously though, destructible stuff would be great, within reason...just don't go overboard like in red faction, and make sure it has a good affect on gameplay.

wouldn't it be smarter to TELL people EARLIER that its coming out around xmas, so they can save money, get excited, etc. if its a surprise, less people know about it, therefore less sales.

lol, if the crowds are gonna be like that, then i'll be packin heat. haha. neway, i wonder why bungie changed their mind from switching from PC to xbox?? did MS buy them out?
    yes. pc guys are really mad about this, understandably. we stole an awesome PC game, rushed it out on xbox, and make it exclusive. imagine uh ...EA or something buying out Lionhead and telling them that Fable has to be released in a month exclusive for PS2.

as for xbox live....as much as i love it, the 16 player max thing is unacceptable. On a PC game where net play is free, like CS or bf1942, you can get 32-64 playeres relatively lag free, with different types ofcpu hardware. theres no reason why xbox, with standard hardware and all BB, should have lag. we PAY for the service, the least MS could do would be to set up dedicated xboxs on T1s so we could play huge games.
    Official Turtle of XBA

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I know halo2 will be spectacular on LIVE, but I am most looking forward to playing multiplayer with a bunch of friends via system link. I CANNOT wait to blow someone off an ATV with a rocket launcher, or shoot down a trash-talking opponent while he hovers around in a banshee, especially when that opponent is one of my best buddies.

CTF on Blood Gulch with 8 people is probably the most fun I have ever had in my life. I only hope that the exuberant amount of joy provided by halo2 doesn't kill me instantly.

That's the thing. Live just eliminates the need for a lanparty. Instead of everyone hauling their Xbox stuff to somebodies house, you just hook up Live and meet your buddies online. It's like a LAN party without all the stinky sweaty teenagers.
    Hidden Content name="quality" value="high" /> Hidden Content quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="88" height="70" name="H2lvl" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />

the maps would have to be huge for 32 players, but I'll be interested to see how big the maps are on pc,
    Originally posted by Koopa
    link? i dont remember them confirming this, just saying destructible stuff, like vehicles, was being looked into. that tree scenario sounds more like a source engine thing than a halo engine one (i.e. materials will act realistically, so a wooden door will be destructible, not made out of unbreakable titanium). destructible terrain would kinda **** me off though...theres countless times where i'm using an indestrutible tree or rock as cover from a tank seriously though, destructible stuff would be great, within reason...just don't go overboard like in red faction, and make sure it has a good affect on gameplay.
    I'm pretty sure that destructible environment has been confirmed, which is gonna be sweet, I almost went out and bought red Faction 2 for this feature (but didn't)

I always get this weird feeling in my stomach whenever I talk about Halo 2

they're making it.
    I concur.

Starving College Student

Originally posted by Urduhn

I concur.
    the simplest answer is almost always the right one
    Official Turtle of XBA

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thread Information