NHL Rivals 2004 Hits ShelvesMicrosoft’s Inaugural Hockey Game Hits Store Shelves as Newest XSN Sports™ Title Avs and Red Wings…Leafs and Canadiens…Rangers and Devils. Some teams just weren’t meant to get along. Historic hockey rivalries have captivated pucknuts for decades, but nothing will prepare them for the hard-hitting action they’re about to embark on. Microsoft Game Studios announced that “NHL Rivals™ 2004”, their first-ever hockey title made exclusively for Xboxâ as part of Microsoft’s XSN Sports brand, is now available at retail stores across North America. NHL perennial all-star Steve Yzerman will serve as both the cover athlete and spokesperson for the game. “NHL Rivals 2004” debuts on Xbox ice offering gamers the ultimate hockey experience both online and off. With the power of XSN Sports’ exclusive Web-based technology, hockey fans can customize their own leagues and tournaments to create their own rivalries and settle the score online with Xbox Live™. Stats and standings are posted to the centralized website XSN Sports.com and updated every 15 minutes so hard-earned bragging rights can never be disputed. Looking to make an immediate impact in the franchise’s rookie season, “NHL Rivals 2004” delivers a variety of features including:
- The Ultimate Pickup Game. Go online, pick your teammates, and challenge other gamers in the ultimate game of pickup hockey. Settle rivalries on the pond in Central Park or in the middle of Red Square, where the action is intense and the rules are loose.
- Rivalry mode. Rivalry Mode instantly puts gamers into a grudge match between historic rival teams like the Canadiens and Leafs, without the need to pick teams or set lineups.
- NHL-style presentation. With John Davidson (“JD”) and Sam Rosen providing in-game analysis and commentary, “NHL Rivals 2004” brings the feel and excitement of a live NHL broadcast.
- Advanced Passing. Move left, pass right, make no-look passes, drop it behind to an open winger, or chip one off of the boards.
- Pivot Control. New ways to control your favorite players equals better maneuverability on offense and tighter, more effective back checking on defense.