Call of Duty 3by Stephen Cameron
October 17, 2006
First off, pardon me for being a little bias, but I really loved COD2. It's just my kind of game. If you've found yourself playing COD2 till your fingers bled, then you're in for another exciting treat. Treyarch are the new developer of the series, and these guys have really outdone themselves, this bad boy looks totally next-gen, and they’ve kept the look and feel of the series. What does this mean for you? It means the game is much improved in several different ways, first, the visuals look incredible, the water streams, the rain, the blades of grass. Everything about the visuals got a major upgrade overhaul. I even noticed the sun rays peeking thru the trees, simply beautiful!
Next thing I noticed was the change in the level design. They are just plain and simple, bigger! Especially, in the multiplayer department.
They got rid of the annoying and boring loading screens, so while it loads you are watching a "needed" story-stitching cut scene. At least that's what they’ve said. My friends you are in for a treat this holiday season. Well done guys.
The multiplayer in COD3 really stood out during these sessions, you can play the part of a variety of different soldiers, from a medic to heavy assault personnel. It kind of reminded me a little of Counter-Strike, mixed in with Team Fortress covered with the whole Call of Duty toppings.
Here’s a small list of newly added feature to the game:
1. All New Close-Quarter Combat: Close-quarters battle mechanics Bring you face-to-face with your enemy. Beat the crap out of them if you need to.
2. NOWHERE TO HIDE: Environmental physics let you destroy enemies’ soft cover hideouts, such as wooden walls, barrels and crates—forcing your foes out in the open. But watch out—they can eliminate your protection as well.
3. UNPRECEDENTED COMBAT OPTIONS: Execute parachute drops, armored assaults or SAS commando raids. Riddle battlefields with tank shells and explosives. Drive tanks to topple barricades and invade enemy emplacements.
4. CHOOSE YOUR PATH TO VICTORY: Flank your opponent, or hit him head on. Next-generation level design provides multiple attack routes that let you decide how to confront the enemy. Each choice you make requires you to use special tactics, from sniping and demolition to straight out frontal assaults.
5. TEAM-BASED MULTIPLAYER WITH VEHICLES: Intense multiplayer functionality has been built from the ground up. Up to 24 players can battle it out as a variety of player classes, including riflemen, infantry, scouts, and others. Multiple-occupancy vehicles let you coordinate attacks with friends, driving while they fire a mounted machine gun from the turret. The game's wide range of vehicles include tanks, jeeps and motorcycles with sidecars.
Do yourselves a favor Call of Duty fans, grab this upcoming gem, or write Santa a nice letter. It will be well worth the wait.