PDA

View Full Version : What are you going to do if XBOX 2 is released in December?

Robflare
01-28-2005, 02:13 PM
I, for one, am not sure what I will do if the XBOX Next is released in December. I pre-ordered my first XBOX and had the patience to stay away from PS2. I'm not sure I will pre-order a maching for this December without having a better understanding of how the specs/games will stack up against the competition.

Sammael
01-28-2005, 02:14 PM
Um.... Buy it..

MerimacHamwich
01-28-2005, 02:16 PM
I'm personally going to wait until all of the official system specs are released. I will then study them and compare them, which will bring me to a decision, along with which games are released, on which console to buy.

Basing off of this generation, and what little is rumoured of next generation, I am slightly leaning towards PS3 right now.

Robflare
01-28-2005, 02:24 PM
Sorry, it took me a couple of minutes to put the poll together fellas. I'm stuck on this one though. I've loved my XBOX since the day I picked it up with my bundle/huge controllers and all. But, the main reason I went with XBOX was that I knew it was the superior system. It will be interesting to see how this pans out. Will PS3 owners be complaining of watered down graphics from XBOX Next ports?

MerimacHamwich
01-28-2005, 02:31 PM
That's an interesting thought Rob. It makes me have a little more confidence in the PS3 infact. The rumour mill has it that the PS3 will have better specs, becuase it is coming out after the Xenon. So, if the PS3 does have better specs, does that mean the majority of games will actually look really good? Will that mean that EA will develop awesome games? Kinda makes you wonder. Maybe Xbox, Playstation and Nintendo owners will all be satisfied with the level of visual quality. Consistency across the board? Interesting thought for sure.

Sammael
01-28-2005, 02:43 PM
You're acting as if PS3 is coming out 2 years after Xbox 2. Microsoft only wants a 6 month jump or so on Sony. By the time Xbox 2 is released PS3 will already be well into production and would be a HUGE headache for Sony if they decided last minute to change anything.

The thing that EA said was that the PS3 may be faster mhz wise then Xbox2 which means nothing as far as graphical power goes. Besides EA doesn't know, they don't even have a dev kit for Ps3 yet, where as they already have Xbox 2 kits.

Robflare
01-28-2005, 02:47 PM
Yeah, a lot of thought goes into it. The other risk is that if you wait without preordering, you may have a long wait for the next shipment of machines. There's a girl in my office that wants to buy an XBOX and they have been no where to be found for the past month. We all remember the PS2 shortage--which definitely helped me decide to wait for an XBOX instead.

Robflare
01-28-2005, 02:49 PM
You're acting as if PS3 is coming out 2 years after Xbox 2. Microsoft only wants a 6 month jump or so on Sony. By the time Xbox 2 is released PS3 will already be well into production and would be a HUGE headache for Sony if they decided last minute to change anything.

The thing that EA said was that the PS3 may be faster mhz wise then Xbox2 which means nothing as far as graphical power goes. Besides EA doesn't know, they don't even have a dev kit for Ps3 yet, where as they already have Xbox 2 kits.

Putting all that aside, I could watch your Avatar for hours.

MerimacHamwich
01-28-2005, 03:03 PM
Well, Sony isn't going to go by what Microsoft wants now are they Sam? Microsoft might only want a 6 month jump, but Sony could come out even later. As well, your statement that the dev's already ahve XBox 2 dev kits just goes to support that notion. This could be a bonus for the Xbox next and give it more of a user base. However, it will also be a bonus for the PS3, and give it more time to come out as a superior product.

As well sam, MGHZ does matter. If you're into any PC stuff this will be apparent to you. You may have the graphics processor that supports these high level shader languages, but if you have a slow CPU, then you will have to turn down the graphical settings anyway.

Seriously, it's kinda of pointless talking about the next generation of consoles with most poeple on a given console site. Whichever console the site is a supporter of, most poeple will be fanboys of.

Sammael
01-28-2005, 03:11 PM
You think that Sony would give MS that much advanced time just to upgrade their product. Which means they'd have to go back to the drawing board. Sony won't risk that.

The technologiies will be very close in power.

MerimacHamwich
01-28-2005, 03:17 PM
Ofcourse they will be close, just like this generation is close. I am not implying that Sony will wait until the XBox 2 is released before they draw up their specs. However, like you said, Xbox 2 already has dev kits out, and PS3 doesn't (although I think they do. Remember my brother saying something about EA having them.). So that means Xbox 2 already has a good idea of what the final product will be, but the PS3 is more up in the air than the XBox 2. So modifications like processor power, and shader paths etc can be altered.

6 months is more than enough time for that kinda of change. You know the computer world has a 6 month cycle on new products right? Generally new graphics cards come out every 6 months. As well, Sony doesn't have to worry to much about user base, their's is already huge. Letting Microsoft come out with the Xbox 2 first isn't going to do too much damage to their sales. When the average gamer sees the Name PS3 on shelves, they will be hyped. Not to mention their legions of fanboys.

Ofcourse, it could defy logic and Sony could be stupid, as they have in the past. They could release a technologically inferior product than the next Xbox. However, I think they won't.

Shadow20002
01-28-2005, 03:18 PM
Just wait and see what games is on the console.

LynxFX
01-28-2005, 03:22 PM
I didn't even flinch when the PS2 was released since PC's already blew it out of the water. I had no interest in the Xbox either until it was released then I spent 2 weeks trying to track one down. :) Ended up spending $600 to get it since everyone forced you to buy it as a bundle. Won't do the same thing this round. I'll wait it out and see what games each system has as well as other functions.

PS3 is unofficially coming out in Spring of 06. So that isn't too far from the launch of the next Xbox. Everyone is pretty much already locked into what their hardware is going to be so there won't be any last minute changes to try and 'best' the competition. Eitherway, I think they are going to be very close in specs and unlike the current gen, no one is going to have to 'dumb down' ports to one console or another. And as for those paper specs, the PS3 has already raised the virtual bar pretty high with the cell processor and next gen Nvidia GPU and combination of a Blu-ray drive. We don't know what MS has up its sleeve yet.

E3 is going to be fun. :)

And as for MHZ, it does and it doesn't matter. In the PC world, that used to be all that mattered, but that has changed. An AMD CPU with lower mhz could beat an Intel CPU with higher mhz, and vice versa. So their architecture, chipset, memory all have drastic affects. If you saw my post last week you saw that the intial specs of the Cell processor have it at 4.6ghz. That's freakin fast but we have no idea how it compares to an AMD or Intel cpu. It could be faster, the same, or slower. It is a completely different architecture.

MerimacHamwich
01-28-2005, 03:30 PM
Good post Lynx. :)

My brother has just informed me that the "Revolution" is going to use HD-DVD. Yeah...

Sammael
01-28-2005, 03:33 PM
I hope MS goes with Blu-Ray... Just seems so much better then HD-DVD.

AlphaRaptor
01-28-2005, 03:48 PM
Im gonna want to see PS3's specs before I buy and Xbox 2. If the PS3 is weeker than XB2, its no duh, if the PS3 is that much more powerful to actually SEE the difference in its games, I MIGHT go with PS3. But, I dunno, it will take soooo much to rip me away from Halo and Xbox Live.

Robflare
01-28-2005, 04:10 PM
XBOX Live is really the clincher. We know it works and that the games are awesome, so I'm most likely sticking with XBOX. I'm not really into the fantasy,adventure,RPG games. I'm more FPS/Sports, so XBOX really appeals to me on that level as well.

Spaztic
01-28-2005, 04:22 PM
My big clincher is going to be blu-ray vs hd-dvd and Harddrive support. I don't want damn memory cards ever again.

super_ryu
01-28-2005, 04:32 PM
I'm going to see how it stacks up against its competitors (PS3 mainly) then buy it when the price goes down

Draco2003
01-28-2005, 05:11 PM
From what I have read, MS is trying to get a 6 month jump on Sony. This could be a MAJOR disadvantage for Microsoft, because they are trying to rush it. But hey, if it turns out like Halo, then rush ahead.

CharlieHustle
01-28-2005, 05:36 PM
buy it. Better yet, get someone to buy it for me for christmas.. Problem solved..

SamSmith
01-28-2005, 06:23 PM
ive got gobs of money, il get them all! JK

skorp
01-28-2005, 09:35 PM
I could easily choose all or any of the above choices...

But I think I trust MS enough to definitely get the next gen when it comes out.

What I'm most worried about are the games.... More good games! More RTS RPG's... More platform games just for the hell of it and not just the dominance in FPS's.

More of the best games is what I want out of the next Xbox. :p

Reach out to the developers/publishers MS.... ;)

Variation-XBA
01-28-2005, 09:44 PM
I'll be getting them all regardless of when/how much :P

SamSmith
01-29-2005, 04:33 AM
I'll be getting them all regardless of when/how much :P

as will I....... as will I......

LTM360
01-29-2005, 06:22 AM
It all depends on how many launch titles appeal to me. If it's anything like the first Xbox's launch titles; I'll wait until the price drop.

CMX Jedi
01-29-2005, 02:45 PM
if it comeout before Xmas, i might as well forget about getting a xbox next till spring.

MixMasta
01-29-2005, 06:42 PM
I am not going to buy a PS3. I might buy the Xbox Next, but I think I am going to go back to PC gaming for a while.

Right now I am just waiting for E3.

And what about Nintendo people??? No one gives them any respect anymore...they could end up being a huge suprise in the next wave of the Console Wars.

SamSmith
01-29-2005, 06:59 PM
I am not going to buy a PS3. I might buy the Xbox Next, but I think I am going to go back to PC gaming for a while.

Right now I am just waiting for E3.

And what about Nintendo people??? No one gives them any respect anymore...they could end up being a huge suprise in the next wave of the Console Wars.

i know what you mean... i respect nintendo... they set up the market for sony and microsoft to rule.... i have always been for the gamecube, pity it didnt do so well... i wish them luck with the revolution, but all we hear now is ps3/ xbox2... id say ninty have something up their sleeve... it would be funny to see both sonys and MSs new consoles trampled by nintys new one!! we owe a lot to nintendo, and i do hope that they succeed in the next round of the console wars.... as for now, i reccomend this site for all the lates next gen news (including the unheard of nintendo revolution) heres the link: www.totalnextgen.com

Shoua
02-07-2005, 10:36 AM
I know this will sound really dumb to some, but i am hoping this generation of consoles will see the demise of one console makers.

I remember the good days when there was just nintendo and sega each of them had great exclusive games. Games are what makes a console, if a developer only has two systems to make games for i think their product could be finely tuned and polished. It'd make it easier on everyone to for exlusives aswell cause you could just go buy both consoles.

Robflare
02-07-2005, 10:42 AM
I know this will sound really dumb to some, but i am hoping this generation of consoles will see the demise of one console makers.

I remember the good days when there was just nintendo and sega each of them had great exclusive games. Games are what makes a console, if a developer only has two systems to make games for i think their product could be finely tuned and polished. It'd make it easier on everyone to for exlusives aswell cause you could just go buy both consoles.

I get your point. But, think about this. Would PS3 be putting together as powerful a console if they were not being pushed by XBOX? Would they care about online play as much?

Rhiannon
02-07-2005, 11:22 AM
I am undecided...what will make or break the xbox next for me will be the games. I am hoping they have more rpg or strategy games that will be the clincher for me....don't get me wrong they have great games now but the FPS dominated xbox does not hold my attention very long....hence my addiction to rpg on the pc currently.

MXracer721
02-09-2005, 12:51 PM
to me, it seems like these next gen consoles are going to be extremely close in all aspects (yep im captain obvious). look at xbox as it is now. a while back they were getting screwed on release dates (thps is one big one) and now it has the same release date as ps2. The only major disadvantage i can think of is the GTA series. But i mean, EA now has online play, xbox is getting more ps2 games so i think this next gen war will be a great one. xbox has come a long way with getting respect from developers which obvioulsy will help them a ton. as for me, i actually am leaning toward the ps3. i dont even have a ps2 either but it is actually way to early to pic a next gen console. But really once price breaks happen i will end up getting both ps3 and xenon or xbox2 or xbox next or whatever. Unfortunatley i dont see nintendo having anything special for this next gen, but they do have a badass controller all except for the button layout. :cheers:

Variation-XBA
02-10-2005, 01:18 AM
Unfortunatley i dont see nintendo having anything special for this next gen

Cause you know Nintendo's inside workings and what they are planning.... :watchout:

MXracer721
02-10-2005, 07:29 AM
Cause you know Nintendo's inside workings and what they are planning.... :watchout:
doesnt matter if i do or dont. they lost a ton of developer support with the gamecube. what makes you think that they will have that support on the next console? everyone here is saying the games make the system...well? what games? metroid? resident evil? i know there are more gamecube exclusives, but my point is not all that many people care. its gonna take alot more than a few exclusives to sell enough of a system to get more support for games. :whistle:

Robflare
02-10-2005, 09:39 AM
doesnt matter if i do or dont. they lost a ton of developer support with the gamecube. what makes you think that they will have that support on the next console? everyone here is saying the games make the system...well? what games? metroid? resident evil? i know there are more gamecube exclusives, but my point is not all that many people care. its gonna take alot more than a few exclusives to sell enough of a system to get more support for games. :whistle:

That's why I left them out altogether. Obviously, since this is XBOX Addict, the majority of us are XBOX owners. I think, part of what made us buy the XBOX is a desire to have the best performing machine, and that's where the PS3 vs. XBOX debate really is going to be a heated one as we get closer. I think Nintendo will always sell well to certain demographic groups, but your typical XBOX owner won't purchase one.

Cloud Wolf
02-10-2005, 03:34 PM
id keck myself and faint. then buy it after I changed my underwear.

Sexaya
02-10-2005, 03:55 PM
Am I the only one who thinks, that if Nintendo actually makes a 'Revolution' in games, that MS and Sony won't stand a chance? The odds are very slim obviously, but think of what would happen if it did create a revolution, would people still buy Xbox 2/PS3?

Though I seriously don't know what they could do. Anyway, I'll wait half a year or so for the price to drop and to see which is the better console. I heard PS2 comes with a Blu-Ray burner, that just might do it for me.

greyterminatorj
02-15-2005, 07:12 AM
i think its gonna be xbox live that makes my vote its awesome though i am gonna be really cheesed of if half-life 2 gos to the next xbox

WillyV2
02-15-2005, 08:44 AM
I'll likely just wait for specs like someone else mentioned and then compare them, and see which will be better..

m4oH
02-18-2005, 12:55 AM
I'll see the line up of games and that will be the biggest factor.

John4767
02-21-2005, 05:47 PM
hmm well ill wait first to see what its gonna be like, than i might consider buying it :)